I want an envied PC

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

azcn2503

Apr 12, 2005
When something better comes out I will get it, which was what I was saying earlier. Dual core won't be brilliant for a while though, since to be used effectively, applications must be coded to use the second core.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
x86 isn't used anymore :)
Not inside the processors anyway. They convert the legacy instructions into their own better ones.

afaik anyway. And yes they should hopefully be onto more cores per proc by that time, which shouldn't require too much work if the bios is already looking for multicores.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
azcn2503 said:
When something better comes out I will get it, which was what I was saying earlier. Dual core won't be brilliant for a while though, since to be used effectively, applications must be coded to use the second core.
You could say that right now about 64-bit processors. Your point?

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
UE3 WILL make effective use of multiple processors. That's already certain. I imagine it will make a huge difference especially with the seamless loading.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Renegade Retard said:
Here's my system specs:

AMD 64 3200 939
MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI 939
1G Corshair mem
MSI 6600 GT 128mb
80 GB SATA HD
Thermaltake SViking case
Enermax Noisetaker 470W

Note that I got a top mobo to give me a solid base for future upgrades (faster cpu, more mem, dual vid cards, etc).

Nice comp there. Similar sort of spec to what I'm gonna buid when I get paid. Except I'm getting a better Mobo :p DFI LANParty SLI-DR :D

Back Ontopic though. Dual Core graphics will make a huge difference once the software supports it fully, just like with 64bit processers. I've seen some benchmarks on a prototype Dualcore and it was v. nice indeed.

As Bot40 said Seemless loading will work well. Imagine One core working on running the game, and the second core is loading up the nect bit of the level.

azcn2503

Apr 12, 2005
My system will be rockin.. at least for a year or so...

AMD Athlon FX-57
2GB Corsair XMS
Abit AX8
Maxtor DMax+10 200GB SATA
HIS Excalibur IceQ-II ATI Radeon X850XT PE (or wait til they release 512MB?)
Coolermaster Wavemaster Silver
Enermax Noisetaker 600W PSU

Might get speakers, but haven't really thought about them much. Gave my old pair to my girlfriend, who had none.

And I have a dead monitor, it's about half as bright as it once was, and screws up most games without gamma sliders, so might get a 19" CRT.

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
The_Head said:
As Bot40 said Seemless loading will work well. Imagine One core working on running the game, and the second core is loading up the nect bit of the level.

This is how sweeny said it would work. A lot of the games content can then be compressed and save a huge amount of disk space (ever zipped a UT2k4 map file? They compress down by about 70-80%). Then just dump the job of decompressing it in another thread, if you have 2 processors then it will be done on the second whilst the first processor is worrying about the actual game.

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
azcn2503 said:
ATI are on the verge of releasing a 512MB version of the X850 which is pretty swell.
there's no real need for 256mb for textures and such, let alone 512mb... i can't see that changing in the near future either. we're only just starting to see 256mb cards actually have an advantage, in fact, some used to be slower than their 128mb counterparts on games that didn't use up over 128mb.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Syri said:
there's no real need for 256mb for textures and such, let alone 512mb... i can't see that changing in the near future either. we're only just starting to see 256mb cards actually have an advantage, in fact, some used to be slower than their 128mb counterparts on games that didn't use up over 128mb.
Epic's already said to see the game at full quality you'd need a 1Gig Videocard. This means Textures are likely going to be 1024^2 or 2048^2.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Let's not forget that every surface and model polygon will be normal mapped (well, probably every one), so that's at least two textures for every polygon, not to mention all the shaders and stuff. It'd be ignorant to think that 256 MB will be overkill two years from now. Games of the future are going to be ALL about the textures. It wouldn't surprise me if UT3 comes with 15+ gigs of textures.

T

Tournament0

Dark Pulse said:
Epic's already said to see the game at full quality you'd need a 1Gig Videocard. This means Textures are likely going to be 1024^2 or 2048^2.

:eek:
I have a 64MB GPU.
:eek:

Which is why I'm getting a new computer.