The game you'd most like to see made into a movie

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Movies don't translate into games very well, why would games to movies fare any better? I MEAN, unless you count something like L.A. Noire... yeah, game-to-movie conversions can potentially be ranked amongst the worst films.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
LA Noire is pretty stupid, to be honest, and would be as **** a movie as The Black Dhalia was.

Honestly, I don't care which game gets turned into a movie, so long as it's good. Most games have a cool central idea that could make for a good movie. Some have ideas that are played out closer how a movie is, so people think it would be an easy translation, but any movie that is a direct port of a game would suck pretty hard. So whichever one is tackled by an intelligent team.

Right now I'm bummed that David O. Russell dropped out of the Uncharted movie because despite the bitching by Uncharted fanboys about how he was changing things, Russell is a smart, talented and non-pandering director who could have made something awesome.

~Jason

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Quest for Glory III, complete with a cameo of none other than the Awful Waffle Walker!

Any of the Age of Empires games, where random fires appear in crops when shooting arrows at them or attacking with a sword, where saying wololo to the enemy converts them to your side, and where hitting flaming buildings with hammers puts the fire out.

Any of the old lesser-hailed[-than-Commander-Keen]-but-awesome Apogee and/or id 2d games, such as Monster Bash, Hocus Pocus, Crystal Caves, Secret Agent, and Cosmos Cosmic Adventure.

Last edited:

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Books-to-games adaptations are really great though. Two examples: The Last Wish (The Witcher), and Metro 2033. Bioshock was an adaptation of Atlas Shrugged.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Bioshock was an adaptation of Atlas Shrugged.
Not in the slightest. It was responding, in unflattering ways, to ideas espoused in Rand's tedious tome, but it was not an adaptation by any means.

I did like your list, though, and would add Dante's Inferno to it, which despite the lashing it took in the mainstream media, was not only a pretty good game (not excellent, but not at all bad), but was a very interesting adaptation of a literary work with a history of strange and interesting adaptations.

~Jason

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
The Duke Nukem movie as long as it is rated R.

Diablo

Maybe warcraft

An Unreal II movie with an Unreal 1 vibe... cause the awakening had the chick with the nice rump.

Maybe a Zelda movie as long as it doesn't suck schlong like the Mario one did.

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
Half-Life has strong characters, and I therefore believe that with good casting it's the most likely to be successful.
Which character do you mean? I have personally imagined Gordon's character to be more fleshed out than the series details (thus I play as Gordon when playing Half Life, rather than Gordon being an avatar of me). But even then, he never says anything, and giving him a voice at this point would undermine the games. Certainly the other characters are strong and interesting, but without addressing Gordon, it would be a very odd adaptation.

As with books, I don't see why any narrative work "needs" or "deserves" to be recreated in film, as though in a medium other than film it is inferior. There is little gained from the transition of a book to a film (indeed, much is lost), and there is even less gained from the transition of a game to film. Why can't we enjoy the works in the form where they are best?