Gamespy/Steam problem with UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
I already know the solution to this so this is more of a PSA.

A long time ago I played a lot of VCTF online and I've never encountered this error.
Two days ago I decided to play with a friend online and I saw this error.
Anyways I relaunched the game without the Steam overlay and could play, but not before taking a screenshot.

[SCREENSHOT]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8278/ut3steamproblem.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

The thing is, I've never activated my UT3 copy on Steam because I don't want it to be bound to this account, but I've always launched it through Steam since I've had it (Steam) to gain the benefits of the overlay.
However it appears I can't do that anymore because Gamespy/Steam thinks my game is not legal or something when I attempt to connect to an online server.

Cool huh?

I read some threads on forums where people had the error show up but they all said they had bought the game on Steam. This is a first most likely for everyone.

For the search engines:
Sorry, you do not appear to be authorized to play this game on Steam at this time.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
If you have a key, it doesn't matter if you register it anywhere, it will always work. Interestingly, it works the other way as well - if you got it off Steam, you can use the key from there when installing from a DVD.