The WIP Screenshot Thread!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
If you end up setting lighting channels on all the meshes in the level (I hope you don't make use of a lot of BSP, not sure if they accept lighting channels), you can make the static environment lighting match up in lighting channels they affect, they should not affect the player. Not entirely sure what channels the player is affected by.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Well well right there, I had never bothered with the lighting channels before. Interesting feature. I had to un-check BSP and Static lighting.

[SCREENSHOT]http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4266/proofitworks.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Thanks! :)

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
I'm curious to hear what makes you thin the lighting isn't too good. It's not a temp thing. I tried to give it more contrast, but the characters just got even more silly, you got to keep a decent smoothness otherwise the characters will look 100% dark from the opposite of the sunlight.

They fixed that in Gears 2. :hmm:

Just as example here was the lighting I did for Industrial

[screenshot]http://mozidesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/industrial4.jpg[/screenshot]

Fairly basic seems to work for a nice day time feel. But honestly it could have been better. What I did there was have a bright sky light and some other directional lights.

Well here was my attempt at lighting contrast with Industrial remake

[screenshot]http://mozidesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/industrial01.jpg[/screenshot]

Big difference, more colorful, has some mood to it (in my opinion) More local light sources, and less global brightness from the sky light actor.

Now I am not saying do that... but I spent a long time making a different light actors to match the direction of the setting sun and where the shadows would be. It seems to work and looks very different with more color compared to a typical gears map.

In terms of character lighting I think it turned out fine, perhaps a little darker than normal but nothing 'silly'

So basically contrast can be done but it's a pain in ass if you are willing to do it. Thus if you like what you got go for it, not saying to change it. Just offering my two cents that more color can be done if you choose to add it.

Last edited:

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Well well right there, I had never bothered with the lighting channels before. Interesting feature. I had to un-check BSP and Static lighting.

Thanks! :)

Ha! I'm sure that with the right amount of tweaking you'll have the players lit just the way you want them without influencing your level geometry :) It's already looking quite nice.

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
@Choco Nice, liking it alot :D

@Kantham - Although you've said you've tried to give it more contrast i think it could use some more. There doesn't seem to be very many shadows cast by the trees/walls. So im guessing you've lit it just as much from the opposite way almost. Up the brightness from the sun or down the brightness on the ones facing the opposite direction.

Shadows would just give it a much nicer feel, seems too washed out. Plus i highly doubt that greyish fog is helping, give that some colour too :)

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
Nice personal challenge I guess, now I'm assuming you will take another 24 hours to help me actually see anything?

Apr 11, 2006
I've always had nightmares about flying staircases that would hunt me down and so on, ****...
Looks promising though. But I'd also have to say that palm, green and red trees do not fit well together, imo they look like ass in the same garden :mad:
Palms do not go well with that kind of classy antique architecture, so I'd go more with the redish trees; :2thumb:

Disagree, I think the trees look fine. They've got palm trees in Greece/Egypt, so I'm not sure why you think that those somehow clash with classical architecture.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Ha! I'm sure that with the right amount of tweaking you'll have the players lit just the way you want them without influencing your level geometry :) It's already looking quite nice.

Thanks. In-game already has more contrast, that's just a fact.

I am experiencing a little problem with the directional lights. It seems the characters have a weird way of getting affected by them. If I hide my character in the shadow the character will be affected by the directional light pointing at it, while I am directly facing the strongest directional light, the character is barely affected by the other sunlight. But then again like I said, he is definitively affected when not facing the main directional light.

So this is really a big problem. :(
The lighting is acting weird whenever I use the skylights to only affect characters too.

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
Thanks. In-game already has more contrast, that's just a fact.

I am experiencing a little problem with the directional lights. It seems the characters have a weird way of getting affected by them. If I hide my character in the shadow the character will be affected by the directional light pointing at it, while I am directly facing the strongest directional light, the character is barely affected by the other sunlight. But then again like I said, he is definitively affected when not facing the main directional light.

So this is really a big problem. :(
The lighting is acting weird whenever I use the skylights to only affect characters too.

How's Epic pulling it off? I always open their maps when I'm having serious WTF moments.

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
Epic also has a very talented art staff which I assume helps in situations of lighting levels and getting the right effects.

Just because they're "Professional" doesn't mean you can't create something of equal goodness. Like anything just learn how to do it..

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
[SCREENSHOT]http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2259/ravendara20000layer4.jpg[/SCREENSHOT][SCREENSHOT]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7595/ravendara20001layer3.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/6424/ravendara20002layer2.jpg[/SCREENSHOT][SCREENSHOT]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7212/ravendara20003layer1.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Fap fap?

Edit: I'll be adding volumetric spheres around the poles to make them more believable.

Last edited: