Best options to get cs 1.6 on steam

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Yeah I know yah blah CS sucks. I'd still like to try the game out after all these years. But what's my best options if I purchase something on Steam ? Will getting HL unlock CS 1.6 or should I get something else ?

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
In a Nuclear Missile Silo
If you have an old HL key (prior to Steam) you get the entire first-generation HL series. So if you have an old ATI Rage (or any non-Steam package), pop the key in.

Otherwise, you have to buy CS seperately. I would just buy CS directly from Steam, but if you want the other games, you can buy a package (or just go to the stores and look for a deal containing it).

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Ok. I tried entering the cd key (it's off an original cd) but it says it's a duplicate and I think it's going to be a pain contacting support. I'll have a look in stores to see what's available.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Yup. The only thing stopping me getting it on Steam is the risks involved in using downloaded games. For one if I lose access to my account they'll probably be lost too.

Vers Vlees

Oohhh a custom title
Nov 30, 2002
The Netherlands
www.versvlees.owns.it
well I got all my Steam Hall life1 stuff from my old Half life Generations pack (with Cheat Strike retail). When I switched to Steam from WON I took al my half life stuff with me.

But the steam games are linked to your steam account. If im correct the games you download will still be there if you log in on a another PC. (you just have to redownload them on that PC) btw this only applies for Half life 1 related stuff but those games arent really big. (I just downloaded the Opposing force expack in 5 min)

Shadow

Has Balls Of Steel
Oct 20, 2004
Yup. The only thing stopping me getting it on Steam is the risks involved in using downloaded games. For one if I lose access to my account they'll probably be lost too.

Thats why I like buying the games from retail.

Vers Vlees

Oohhh a custom title
Nov 30, 2002
The Netherlands
www.versvlees.owns.it
Well you kinda need steam to play your Half life 2 games even if you want to play singleplay. (For half life 1 games you can always run them the oldskool way unless you want to play over the interweb seeing WON is no more)
I kinda hate start to hate Steam with the whole pop& ads for games.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
I don't play CSS much, except when I want to drool over high-quality costum weapon models that I wish were converted and imported into Raven Shield. :eek:

That, and it's hilarious when you have the radio voicing replaced with a danish mid-jutland farmer accent and all the guns sound like a bunch of kids shouting "bang" and "kaboom".

Seriously, I have about 7 good friends all laying voice to my weapon collection. The AK-47 COUGHS fer pete's sake. :
The M4 says Bang, the Deagle Boom, the Glock Glock's (not kidding) and the P90 Pew's. And getting headshotted often rewards you with a high-pitched "Ha Ha" and/or a "DOH!"

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Ok I found the best compromise. I ordered the game on a specialized web site. It's sad but shops round here don't seem to give a toss what people want and they just stock what the suppliers give them :x .

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Well, it's come a long way, I'll admit that, and it seems much more stable. But imposing online activation when someone might not have internet access is beyond me.

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
To be honest, with a game like CS, does the internet thing really matter?

As for the SP games: Yeah, it is annoying. But you only need to connect once every one or two months (if I recall correctly). You could probably find a free trial for a dial-up ISP for that.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I bought 4 games from steam and I must say it worked out well.

CoD4
TF2
Portal
Juiced2: HIN

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
They are just added to your account. You never actually see the serial, you just download it and play.

Think of it like downloading a demo on Steam, or reinstall HL2 without the discs.