Console Wars 2013

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
I'll probably get both at some point, but it will likely take years.

Till then it looks like I'll rejoin the PC master race.
Good, now join the Beyondunreal Steam group so that I may find and add you :p

You can't play games without the Day 1 update, for fuck sakes!

Think about that for a second. They shipped a gaming console. That you can't play games on.

In fact, you can't do much of dick without the update.
You can't do shit with the product you bought unless you let a third party change bits on your devices? That's the DRM discussion we had years ago when online activation came up.

Last edited:

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
You can't play games without the Day 1 update, for fuck sakes!

Think about that for a second. They shipped a gaming console. That you can't play games on.

In fact, you can't do much of dick without the update. So basically you still need the internet, just not every 24 hours now, otherwise you have an extremely (overly) expensive piece of plastic.

It's a ploy so that they can shove down the throats of every fanboy that shitty ad-ridden XBL.

I've not owned any home console until now and I'm not feeling the need of buying one right now. Thanks to Valve's Big Picture and Steambox we're getting PC racing games with split-screen again (GRID 2, F1 2013), shooters are meant to be played with a mouse/keyboard setting, the new consoles' architecture will make ports less expensive and more stable, and on top of my 100+ PC game collection I have a equally big collection of old console gems that I can play on emulation software.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
I can look at how my old Xbox was much more enjoyable with a GBA or PS1 emulator

Is that why new consoles suck, because you can't 'homebrew' the old emulated roms on it anymore? Please.

Besides, the Steambox is the closest you'll have your indie console scene.... but that 'homebrew scene' is always the red herring when you just want to emulate the same old pirated console/handheld games on a new console anyway. They're poor for emulation anyhow since the speedhacky emulators tend to be the ones that get ported.

That $400 you would dump for a box to whine at for being closed could be used to build your little emulationy HTPC...

Last edited:

Luv_Studd

Aug 17, 1999
VT
Visit site
This is madness. Quantum Break, Infamous: Second Son, Project Spark, The Division, MGS 5 and Watchdogs all look freaking amazing (of note: Titanfall, Project Spark, The Division and Watchdogs are all coming to PC, though Titanfall is the only one I would rather play on the PC, and that's only to get away from the bratty 12 year olds that flood fps games on xbl--PC has a mildly mature audience of bratty 15 year olds).

I should have clarified: first decent-looking games I would buy one of the consoles for. What's out now is not very good.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Given that the Division and Watchdogs are coming to PC (along with Titanfall and Project Spark), and noone has a freaking clue about what Quantum Break will actually be like, that list is a pretty crap reason to pick up a console unless you're really into Metal Gear or Infamous. I'm not fussed about either.

The current selection of games is even worse.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Is that why new consoles suck, because you can't 'homebrew' the old emulated roms on it anymore? Please.

Besides, the Steambox is the closest you'll have your indie console scene.... but that 'homebrew scene' is always the red herring when you just want to emulate the same old pirated console/handheld games on a new console anyway. They're poor for emulation anyhow since the speedhacky emulators tend to be the ones that get ported.

That $400 you would dump for a box to whine at for being closed could be used to build your little emulationy HTPC...
Dude, it doesn't matter. It's none of your business, and I don't want to argue with you further.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
Future dilemma:

I like the Uncharted series (PS4)
I like Elder Scrolls (Xbox gets the add ons, Sony gets pooped on)

I think Maybe Wii U just because I feel bad for Nintendo lol!

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I think Maybe Wii U just because I feel bad for Nintendo lol!

If I buy anything it will be a Wii U for their awesome exclusives. On the PeasantBox One and PeasantStation 4 most of the games can be played on PC. Nintendo offers the kind of game play that you don't find anywhere else.

My PS3 already plays bluray and can handle all of my media center needs, so I will be sticking with that.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
919hr2C.png

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I have a bad feeling about the XBone...

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LoF01Q2NNzA[/M]