UT2003-2004 changing pickup settings for online games

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

OrionCo30

Nov 8, 2001
Visit site
Ok, suppose I want to retexture a pickup item in a map, an adrenaline pill for instance. It's easy enough to do, and also to change its rotation rate, scale, the static mesh it uses, etc,. This works fine in botmatch. However, the altered items return to their default settings and appearances if you play the map online. Does anyone know of a way to make the changes appear online too?

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
You need to make a new "class" and possibly all assciated classes, very easy, just creat a new class in the same part of the tree ,NOT under the class your modifying.
like pills is under pickup
make a new class under pickup (or wichever heading it is)
Then cut and past the real code from the original class into yours

then see, "compile changed" in the script editor, then make item placed !!! it wont stick in the map until it's placed, so you need to do everything to get it placed via the classes and it will stay there the next round you want to do more on the map.once you get it in the map, build and save that mofo.!!!

in the actor browser chck to see show nonplacable items and use object as top of tree.

but then in the command bar at the bottom type in

"editdefault class=mypill"
you will then see a properties for the actor wich says "none" make all the settings to match the stock pill, and bingo youl have another item you can mess with all day long and not fouls up anything.

of course use "mylevel" for your new classes, that way ONLY that map will have your stuff, as apoosed to using a .U file.

This may be primitive way compared to the ways the pro's (wich never help) do it, but it will work down patt.

it's fun to do in ut04, they made it easy over UT.

and after you struggle and make things work, after that you just need to cut and paste into a new map later on.

I am sure some pro's will say this is wrong, but who cares about them, they only chime in to say how wrong you are, but don't ever help beforehand.

keep in mind stupid ut04 uses those stupid weapon base things, so if you need to make a new weapon the "base" needs to "spawn" the "pickup" Also hands down after i used bases back in my trenchdog map the bots worked way better, so i guess you dont want hidden bases .

and the "pickup" needs to find "mywaepon" and the weapon you may want to make "myammo"
and both the ammo and the weapon should have "myweaponfire" wich should use "my projectile"

it's fun, juststart messing around, youl see aint too bad.

Also in the class you pasted the text, say it goes for "sniperammo" stock ammo, just look through the text and recompile , for the words you used say you made "sniperammo222" then just retype in the script editor those words and recompile.

Last edited:

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Now if I could get one of these so called pro idiots to do stuff for UT, wich some damn way to import export, default settings for actors and seetings, but i don't want to go read some funky tutorial.

Oh the reason you need a new class is the stock class will allways pick the mesh or texture in it's class, hence you make an identical copy and switch what you want, and it will stick online.

Also you know , but copy the pill mesh and make a new one in your mylevel mashes, then just point to your modified mesh in the "none" or elsware in your new class properties.
AND you can name your new class anything, you don't need to have "my" in it, just some name.

Last edited:

OrionCo30

Nov 8, 2001
Visit site
Thank you very much ReD_Fist. This was actually easy to do once I fired up the editor and followed your explanations step by step. One less problem to worry about :D

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
OrionCo30 said:
Thank you very much ReD_Fist. This was actually easy to do once I fired up the editor and followed your explanations step by step. One less problem to worry about :D

It is really fun to make new stuff and try to figure out code to end up with somthing new, they made this the BEST thing I like about UT2004.
I aint to keen on the game as I am on the regular UT but the editor and creation gets great compliments from me.

Go try my "ripper" mod gun in that trenchdog2k4 map, see watcha think, after getting things working good, it's really hard to not feel godlike and make weapons to powerfull,or be to conservative and make em to weak.

But just do things one at a time, and pretty soon youl make new stuff easier than mapping itself

Any more wierd funky problem questions ask away, hopefully some of these pro mappers will join in and set us straight one of these days.
......................................................................................

AND by looking at this UT map of yours
http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=6725

You should do real fine, for mapping for ut04,just tackle a few mod items and youl be a damn good mapper all around.

Last edited: