Is Unreal (tech) really that good?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Cyrsss Female Dog

..Submarine..
Nov 26, 2005
Desk
Hi,

I play the games....edit stuff...do the dance and have fun,

Is Unreal technology REALLY that good?

ah,Sure Buzzbee is a genius with mapping software mebbe top of the pile (heh)...BUT

Sure I have some sort of respect for PC junkies (Kantham/Racheal...all of ya) as I am..

Answers on a postcard plz

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
I'd say it's dahm good, but I'm biased.
The Unreal engine is good for a number of reasons, chiefly having at its core an Object Oriented Proram structure (Uscript). This Inheritance profile makes the code easily modifyable. Other big pluses is the use of the latest graphic drivers (with current releases). UT2003 and 2004 use directX8, allowing for DDS texture format (shaders) and optimizing rendering through use of static meshes and rigidized vehicles. Even UT99 was spectacular when viewed with 3dfx video cards, top grade for the time.
The fact that the Unreal Engine continues to evolve and embrace new tech (like physics) is a boon to gamers everywhere. With sites like UDN and Unreal Wiki it is well supported and has a large community backing development. See NaliCity LINKS for even more.
The fact Epic Games promotes the use of the Unreal Engine does not make it good, it is because Epic concerns itself with keeping the Engine at the cutting edge and predicting what new features will be required keeps it one of the most desirable Engines for third party development for new games on a variety of platforms.
This is not to say other Engines are not as good/better, however the Unreal Engine is proven and continues to be improved daily. I for one look forward to the next public release, especially the next Editor and the possibilities it will bring to adding even more realism through higher poly counts, normal mapping and refined physics.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
hell just about every company is getting unreal engine, take a look at that ut2007 page, even microsoft, a lot of em tell ya.

Cyrsss Female Dog

..Submarine..
Nov 26, 2005
Desk
Yes,sure most Companies are using the engine (UNRed4.0) for upcoming games.I saw the,(not gameplay,just rendered gameplay) new Revolution console (Nintendo I think),videos and remarkable/want it NOW! success is out there but is the engine really that good compared to other engines?

Sure the Worldcraft software is excellent,Qradient was good and used,as with Unreal software,mostly for top-of-the-range games.

I ask,regarding the others.

edit; DDS is standard Microsoft and *YES*...I can't wait for the new version of UNRed (unfortunatley I don't have 1,000,000 USD for the Licence).

I heard its 1 million for the licence,due to the engine being used for Xbox360's up and coming games...and as we all know its about the money,not the product it displays...(patches etc)

I use an old Nvidia FX5200 64m now...had PCI 64m SiS before.I understand that DirectX9 is as far as we can go now,until some 512m videocard appears with DirectX10

Last edited:

sandorski

Sep 22, 1999
coquitlam, bc, Canada
Visit site
The current Engine(2.5) certainly lacks DirectX 9 features that most other newer Engines use, so it's not the most current. It is a good Engine though, but currently not the best.

You'll only need $1million(is that the price?) if you want to make a Game from the Engine that will be Marketed for sale. You get some more inside info on how to use the Engine when you pay for a license, but you don't need to pay a license fee if you just want to make Free Mods and other content.

What's really good about the Unreal Engine is the ease of use and the large amount of Tutorials/Info on the Net about it. If you want to Learn how to create Games or Game content for Free(other than the purchase of the game) it's hard to find a better way to do it other than the Unreal Engine.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
I would say it is the best, even just unreal1 was good. It might not be the best of everything, but it is well known, and it does evrything.

It has it's own "windows" menu system,networking,sound and graphics,user modify code, and is very user friendly.
The editor , more or less, but still an awesome invention for allmost everthing a computer is used for to make stuff for maps.

So above all the user friendlyness,and easy to modify it has staying power above all other engines, notice the US Army picked that too,? for sims.

I dun't know but they did a hell of a job all round, in making that game.