On Topic

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
Actually, this post did exist the whole time.

Off topic is described as anything that isn't that Unreal related. Nothing in this post (until now) mentioned Unreal. Therefore, it's on topic for the off topic thread. It makes perfect sense.

Hmmm. I'm going to change my sig to include something about whistling bellybuttons. :)

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Off topic is described as anything that isn't that Unreal related. Nothing in this post (until now) mentioned Unreal. Therefore, it's on topic for the off topic thread. It makes perfect sense.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but if it's on topic at all, doesn't that make it off topic?

I can do this....
http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~unreal/ubb/html/Forum8/HTML/000879.html

....and link this thread to itself. Therefore if it's non-existant, it exists now in itself. It's also just entered an infinite loop.

The conclusion? This thread does exist and is indeed off topic simply by being on-topic.

(I'm tired, go fig ;) )

bullet2.gif

"When only night remains, I feel alive again".

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
Deep thought? I thought Zen was the art of no thought, the clearing of the mind.

Well, depending on the size of your bellybutton, it could be considered deep thought if you have a beer gut. :)

If your navel is the centre of the universe, then what is our existance to you? If we feel our navel's are the centre of the universe, then we must be wrong as your navel is the centre of the universe. Does that make you the only correct person in the universe? Does that make you the only person in the universe? Does it make you want to hit me with a stick?

bullet2.gif

Whistling Belly Buttons Rule!

G

GunnerX

This thread definitely does not exist! It's On topic in an off topic forum which we all know is not possible!! Definitely NOT!! NADA! Zilch! Zero! Zip!

Posting an no nonsense thread in an off topic forum makes it off topic which makes it exist. However, On topic topics in off topic forum which itself is off topic but due to the circumstances is on topic becomes on topic! Perfectly clear, yes?

Now, by posting this on topic topic in the off topic forum making it an off topic topic that is on topic just made Wacky wacky! A wacky Wacky will get wackier. When a wacky Wacky is wackier, everyone gets wacky and all the wackiness spreads making even more people wacky! Now that's all clear.

Here's my question:

If the Pope ****'s in the woods, can you hear him Fart?

bullet2.gif

imu2.gif
[MUTTS]GunnerX

"Go! Leafs! Go!"
&lt;@Yellow5&gt; ST can bite my wiggler. He's a m0

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
That's absolutely right...thanks for pointing that out.

Off Topic doesn exist...but no Off Topic posts...no wait, now I've got it:
A post is only Off Topic if it has nothing to do with the topic of the forum. So since this post has nothing to do with the other forums it is Off (those forums') Topics. But it is On Topic here, so it HAS to stay here! Sicne it is on Off Topic it does belong to this forum.

There's still another question: Does a thread get off topic (or maybe on topic) by having a link to this thread? Then what about linking this thread to itself? Would that make it more on (or off) topic?
And what if I linked to another thread in this thread? Would that make this thread on (or off) topic?

Loibisch

This thread is waaaaaay too confusing... :) I like it...

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
Wow Zacc. Thanks to you I just fell into a time loop and read this post about 78 times. I sure did have a lot of windows to close.

Now, I'd like to talk about Unreal Tournament. What will this do? *snicker*

Talking about UT is off topic in the Off Topic Forum. It would then make this thread on topic, which once again is off topic. Perfectly reasonable and justifiable.

bullet2.gif

Freaking out on electric meat.

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
Morety, thank you so much! I was really confused about that and noone else had any suggestions.

I am now looking out of my nipples and whistling out of my bellybutton. Which is of course, the center of the universe. ;)

Hmmm, actually my navel is rather facinating. Let me ponder it for a while. I have many pseudophilosophical thoughts on the many funny posts that have somehow been added to this nonexistant thread (umm, I'm starting to doubt that it is actually nonexistant, I will get back to that).

First, my navel and its relation to the Universe....

This is going to take some deep thought, I will be back.

bullet2.gif

ShBoom, ShaBoom, Yadadadadadadadadadadada, ShBoom, ShaBoom....

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
Loibisch:

When asking about the thread linking unto itself, it compares with the double-negative theorum used in the "wackyWacky" case. It is not exactly a double negative, it would have been a square of the situation. But, like a mirror to a mirror, this thread is infinite thanks to Zaccix. It has squared itself an infinite number of times. Further proof of the SuperWacky syndrome.

For any fans of the movie Alien:
In outer space, no one can hear you fart.

bullet2.gif

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>This thread definitely does not exist! It's On topic in an off topic forum which we all know is not possible!! Definitely NOT!! NADA! Zilch! Zero! Zip!
Posting an no nonsense thread in an off topic forum makes it off topic which makes it exist. However, On topic topics in off topic forum which itself is off topic but due to the circumstances is on topic becomes on topic! Perfectly clear, yes?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So GunnerX, I will tell you something now: You think you know it all better than we do? ;) You drop your opinion here anbd think it's the only one? WRONG! ;) This post DOES exist! Why would there be an Off Topic Forum if no off topic posts existed? So there have to be off topic posts and this is definately one of them!

And Morety:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>When asking about the thread linking unto itself, it compares with the double-negative theorum used in the "wackyWacky" case. It is not exactly a double negative, it would have been a square of the situation. But, like a mirror to a mirror, this thread is infinite thanks to Zaccix. It has squared itself an infinite number of times. Further proof of the SuperWacky syndrome.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think it works like a double negative. In Wackywacky the second wacky affects the first (positive or negative...who cares?), but here the second thread (another window) doesn't affect the first one (it is still there with no change). So it works more like a double positive (another window is added). But a double positive is nothing else than a positive...so linking this thread to itself is positive (good)!

My other question hasn't been answered, yet. What if you set link a thread in the On Topic section to an off topic thread? Does it become off topic by this? Or what if you set an link in an Off Topic section to an on topic thread? Maybe this would solve our problem, maybe we all can read this thread by linking it to an on (or off) topic thread? Definately worth a try...
I think this thread is the incarnation of evil...err...I mean of an off topic thread linked to an off topic thread AND an off topic thread linked to an on topic thread AND an on topic thread linked to an off topic thread AND an on topic thread linked to an on topic thread AT THE SAME TIME!!! Since this is impossible (think of it a bit...) I declare this thread (once again) non-existant, till we find an answer here.

Loibisch

Hmmm, I wonder if my status has been accepted, yet...

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
Here's an easy way to look at it Loibisch:

On Topic = positive
Off Topic = Negative

Linking on topic to off topic = off topic
Linking off topic to on topic = off topic
Linking on topic to on topic = on topic
Linking off topic to off topic = on topic

In your final paragraph, you included 4 off topic threads and 3 on topic threads. That would be an off topic thread.

btw: I was using the double negative example proving the simply whacked theory. I believe we agree on that point.

Your status has been accepted, if you applied to be called Masterful. :)

btw Boom: Your naval gazing is making you very self-centred. :)

bullet2.gif

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
OK Morety...
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Linking on topic to off topic = off topic
Linking off topic to on topic = off topic
Linking on topic to on topic = on topic
Linking off topic to off topic = on topic<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's an easy way to look at it congratulations... :)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>In your final paragraph, you included 4 off topic threads and 3 on topic threads. That would be an off topic thread.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's not exactly right, in my (very) last paragraph (beginning with "I think") I mentioned exactly 2 on topic threads and two off topic threads (if you look at it in the "simple" (of course nothing here is simple) way, if you only count the number of threads it is 4:4). This means that it is even, so this thread is neither on topic nor off topic (which means this thread has to get a custom status, too).
There's only the question how to call it...

Loibisch

YEAH! I'm Masterful...no...wait, actually I wanted to have another status... :)

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
I'm going to refer to the various threads as "oddly even". That's a good title don't you think?

Unreal Tournament is a good game.

Now, this thread is on topic in the UT forum, making it off topic here.

MOD: Please place this into the Unreal Tournament Forum. :)

bullet2.gif

CaSCaDe

gaem freak in 3 dimensions
Apr 7, 2000
somewhere you are not!
www.bart.ahk.nl
i just read this entire post and it doesn't make sense.

if an on topic is in an off topic place than isn't it so that that thing is as offtopic as the rest of the on topic off topics?

/mesa is getting a headacke

but if off topic is on topic then the entire hing is on topic afterall, right?

am i makeing any senese here?
no?
thought so.

/mesa is on his one way trip to the nutthouse!!!

bullet2.gif

THiS iS THe WoRD FRoM THE GReaT HeLL BRiNGeR

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
Good idea Morety!

But "oddly even" reads...uhm...strange. I don't think you can call it that way, since it isn't odd, but (only) even (which causes the problem of "eveness". Therefore it doesn't belong to any topic at all).
Great idea though :).

The description for off topic reads like this:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Off Topic
Anything else which isn't that Unreal related.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which means if we talk about Unreal (Tournament) here, this post is off topic in the off topic forum and has to be moved to the Unreal (Tournament) section (which reads: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Unreal Tournament
Talk about Unreal Tournament, Epic's latest FPS.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>)

Only problem is: We have talked THAT much crap here that we haven't even the tiniest chance to ever get it out this section :(.
But we can try :).

Unreal Tournament kicks äss! Really :)

This thread has to be moved to the UT Forum now...

Loibisch

We can move this thread everywhere we want...

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
This thread truly belongs in the UT Forum.

Zaccix, if you haven't given up and are still out there, could you please post a link of this thread on the UT forum? I'm too lazy to learn how to link stuff. :) It really does belong there now.

UT KICKS LLAMA A$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bullet2.gif

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site

I must respectfully disagree. How can you say this is an off topic post? Look at its title. The post is called "On topic". So it can't possibly be an Off topic Post. But it is in the Off Topic Forum, so it can't possibly be....

I think I've been down this road before :)

Now I am going to blow all of your minds. After intense Zen mind clearing exercises, I was able to completely empty my head. It took about 30 seconds. I then returned to the study of my bellybutten. While intensely studying my navel (the center of my, and all possible, universes), I realized that a nonexistant post is sort of like a wormhole. I can use it to travel through time.

"IMPOSSIBLE!!!" you shout.

"Stop shouting." I respond.

The following link is a link to the future.

Time Machine

This is a link to the 4th page of this thread. Right now there is no 4th page to this thread. If you click on it, you may travel through time and actually read posts before they are written. Now, nobody has ever traveled through time before. This is very dangerous and the world may just simply cease to exist, so do not click on the link.

Seriously, I'm trusting you guys not to click that link.

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
Only one thing Sam...
My monitor display is only 2D...I didn't know they already invented holograms for home use...
So what you mean that Unreal and UT never existed on a holodeck (or similar), which is right at this time (I suppose).
What you mean is the following:
With 3D2D3D2D you mean actually 2D2D3D2D, since the screen is displayed in 2D. So you get agrand total of 2D2D, which is actually right! This Forum is 2D (one 2D for the text and one for the background).
You could also probably throw a D4 (2D+2D=4D=D4, you know) and the result would be something like 1-4, however there could be a small chance when throwing to let it fall off the topic...err...table. Then it would certainly roll under your sofa and since you can't get it out of there again it would be sucked in by the vacuum cleaner the next time (don't ask me how...).
This procedure is exactly defined as a 42!

Loibisch

Why do you guys seek the answer of life? It's 42, now we need the question. If you have read "The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy" by Douglas Adams you know what I'm talking of...

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
Maybe it's like this:
If a post is in an off topic forum, it becomes off topic, if it's in an on topic forum, it becomes on topic...not a good idea :(.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>"IMPOSSIBLE!!!" you shout.

"Stop shouting." I respond.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, I'm going to say it again (in a normal voice): Impossible! Trust me, I have clicked on the link (maybe the universe has already ceased to exist...I thought the only way to find out was clicking on it, sorry :)) and it doesn't work. Maybe since it is a link to the future, it will only be functional in the future, too ;). We shall see.

Loibisch

He's making it off topic again :(...and so do I... :(

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
Actually, this entire forum doesn't exist, for a very simple (actually, it isn't) reason.

Old games were in 2D on a 3D monitor/TV. This could be expressed as 3D2D. However, the 3D game was then invented but with 2D elements (e.g. 3D plane etc., 2D cockpit). The equation bacame 3D2D3D. The 3Ds canceled out, leaving 2D in a 3D universe. This severely offset causality, and John Major became Prime Minister of Britain.

Then the guys at Epic tried to create a game called Unreal where a 3D game, with a 2D hud, put 2D textures on the 3D objects, which was displayed on a 3D screen. This equation could be said to be 3D2D3D2D, which cancels itself out entirely. Therefore Unreal never existed, nor did PlanetUnreal, nor did PU's forum. Plus there was no semi-sequel called Unreal Tournament, because there was nothing to follow up, which meant that millions died without their reason to live.

It's a pity neither I, UT or this forum exist, because this non-existent theory could make me famous.

bullet2.gif

If anyone discovers what the Universe is for, and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.