U1/UT runs too fast on Linux

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Just what the title says.
Using the -cpuspeed=2400 parameter. Otherwise, it would be absolutely wicked speed, but it's still too fast now.
Tried disabling power saving programs, like KPowerSave, nothing.
Strange thing that on Software Rendering, it works OK. But when it comes to OpenGL... It starts being crazy.
Using OpenSUSE 10.2.

Maybe there are more power saving programs that uses Cool'n'Quiet? Or maybe there's some other fix?

On a side note, how do you run the .bin files that came from 227b patch for UGold?

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
What OpenGL are you using? Does FrameRateLimit=200 make any difference?

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Wow, thanks. Now it runs normally, although the textures are still animating too fast.

Another question: How do you make a LAN game on UT? And are unreal:// IPs the same as the actual IPs?

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Multiplayer -> Start new multiplayer game. Then also check "Optimize for LAN" under Server tab.
And yes, IP's are same.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
They won't show up. Even when trying to make an internet server UT says that it can't resolve the address of the Master Server.
Though I can connect to other servers.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
You're right. It goes one way, but not the other, i.e. WinXP can't contact Linux but Linux can contact WinXP.
Still can see slight changes in game speed, it goes like on 90% speed one time and the other - 75% (my preferred).

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
I don't use Suse so the details might be wrong, but I believe you will have to kill the cpuspeed service (or its equivalent). Disable Cool'n'Quiet and set the KPowerSave to the performance profile. That worked for me with Fedora 8.

I still sometimes see little glitches - don't know if that is being caused by processor hopping on the dual core. Certainly, in WinXP it is necessary to pin the UT process to a single core.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
There's no process like that, but there is a process powersaved.
Tried following these tips, and now it looks like this: I can make 2 steps in normal speed, then 2 steps in fast speed, 2 in normal etc. At least it's regular now, but still not good...

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
The CPU frequency scaling governor can be found in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/scaling_governor (or something like that). To force it to run the CPU at full speed, simply do 'echo performance > /sys/devices/...' and 'echo ondemand /sys/...' to re-enable it.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Hmm, quite, but I don't get what I have to do. The governor is here: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/cpufreq/scaling_governor
entering that to Konsole outputs the same as I entered, like:
Code:
echo ondemand /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor
ondemand /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor

And another issue - when I try to join a map that is from Unreal, not UT, then I spawn but can't do absolutely anything. Not even look around. Esc button works, Tab and ~ work as well. Why does it act like that?

JCD

Mar 11, 2008
I don't have a solution for you unfortunately, as I do not know Linux, but these Unreal Engine 1 games running too fast is specific to multi-core processors.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Dual core is one cause of the same problem, as some processors such as the Athlon X2s don't synchronise the time stamp counters; however I've not had any issues from this on Linux since doing the scaling governor trick. Emerald, you need the > in there so it dumps the output of the first command into the file specified in the second.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yea. So this is not a dual core issue, it is fixed by using the cpuspeed= option, as Software Rendering works absolutely fine. Not to mention it looks bad though. Wine didn't support OpenGL earlier anyway. Wow, a new wine version, maybe it will fix something? :D
I guess I need to install Windows here anyway. Unreal 2 won't work with Wine, and this is a cool new rig, so I guess we still need those Windows.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Some early Direct X stuff will work e.g. Starcraft (DX5) but since I wanted OpenGL anyway (S3 textures) and it is natively supported I've never really pursued D3D for UT.

Now what I would be really interested in is a way of getting Unreal to run under Wine in anything other than software render mode.

I'm running Wine 0.9.52-1.el5 btw.