What would revive the UT franchise?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
Maybe because I have protection against PC elitism virus or something,

It's not about elitism for its own sake; moddable, customizable (PC) games are objectively better than games that don't have these features, just like cars with ABS and airbags are better than those without. Moddable games were a great innovation, and going back to non-moddability is not progress. Period. It's not even stagnation -- it's regression.

which is as bad as the console ones; I don't need mods if the game's retail contents are good enough.

Well, that's the problem: no game is, or can realistically ever hope to be, so good it can afford not to have mod support. UT certainly wasn't. When it comes to replay value and sheer enjoyment, there's simply no substitute for 3rd party content.

I also really love many consoles games so bye bye :)

Yep, bye bye personalized gaming, hello cookie cutters! :)

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Consoles haven't really influenced them,. If you go back to 1998 you'll find just as many editor-less PC games as you do now.

Unless you mean the SNES ruined PC gaming.

I'm not talking about level-editors. I mean the way many games find its way into PC platform today. Initially they were designed for another platform in mind and often devs don't put enough effort to PC version.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Blame Multiplatform...? D:

Honestly, if you neglect that there are some, or a tonsload, of amazing console titles, I don't know what to say.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
There are some people who can't afford consoles and I am being sick of them too, I understand there may be few really good titles (especially today when there is hardly any good game on PC), on the other side there were console titles which made the PC games go down the drain, because of the marketing campaigns. Games like Halo were generally overrated and bad in design and people started imitating that for no reason, because they thought that is the good gameplay.

And consoles are more of toys than anything, and with ****ty interfaces like xbox 360 live etc....
but what can I expect from Micro****? They kept messing up around with windows, how can you expect them to do something better for their console brand.

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Interbellum said:
PC games have certain advantages consoles will never have: no holds barred content and mod support.
Unfortunately, moddability can't stay in today's world where games have become stupidly commercial: What if you're able to mod a game to keep it fun for some extra months? That wouldn't be good for game devs who want you to pay for every bit of extra content they make for the game... What if you get bored after a couple of weeks? That's awesome because you're once again another potential customer... ;)

I don't think there's a way to make a game like UT successful at this moment... let's hope in a few years people will get tired of ultra-realistic graphics and old arcade games will start to get popular again... who knows... :p

Last edited:

Evill_Bob

Cheese Hopping Rocket Spammer
Dec 19, 2005
In your computer, duh.
I guess the Unreal franchise is going out, but I guess that's the difference between fanbases... Sega releases ****ty Sonic games year after year and people still buy, Epic releases a decent but not extremely awesome game and everyone jumps ship.

Never understood that one myself...

EDIT:

Unfortunately, moddability can't stay in today's world where games have become stupidly commercial: What if you're able to mod a game to keep it fun for some extra months? That wouldn't be good for game devs who want you to pay for every bit of extra content they make for the game... What if you get bored after a couple of weeks? That's awesome because you're once again another potential customer... ;)

I don't think there's a way to make a game like UT successful at this moment... let's hope in a few years people will get tired of ultra-realistic graphics and old arcade games will start to get popular again... who knows... :p

Actually that makes a lot of sense... good thing UT2k4 and UT3 are still fun until the next UT (Yeah yeah I know original UT fans, I'm some sort of abomination. But I’m too busy firing AVRiLs at Gorges in Mantas to care)

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm not talking about level-editors. I mean the way many games find its way into PC platform today. Initially they were designed for another platform in mind and often devs don't put enough effort to PC version.
What difference does that make? A good game is a good game.

Mass Effect looks just like the console versions, even in the menus, yet it works perfectly fine on the PC.

Batman is one of the better PC games to come out this decade and it's a "console port".

I could keep the list going on and on, but gaming is mostly what you make of it. There is no sense being a diehard ANYTHING fan right now. There are great games on all of the available platforms, even games that start on one platform and move to another.

There are really only a few things that set PC gaming apart from the others (and even these aren't unilateral):

1) Some games allow you to mod/map for them. This obviously extends the life of the game.

2) PC technology is much farther ahead than consoles. So you get 2048x1280 or whatever resolution with 16xAA and 16xAF and can still run at 150fps.

3) Dedicated servers. While not unilateral (some PS3 games have them), the generally open nature of multiplayer gaming on the PC is probably it's greatest strength.

4) Mouse and keyboard. While again no longer unilateral (lots of Ps3 games support them) the fact that games on PC must generally work with KB/M makes it a better platform for precision gaming.

The biggest thing is, publishers and developers are doing on PC only just exactly what they think people will buy. The reasons for which and the repercussions of which are neither here nor there, but I for one just enjoy the fact that some really fun, really great console games do make their way to PC eventually.

unbecoming

The Money U Could Be Saving W/out Barry
Jan 21, 2008
St.Louis,MO
Make it a pc franchise once again and let the console boyz have their gears of war.

Sounds like a sound theory to me.Most don't want UT anyway.Its too hard.

Well, going back to basics and restoring both the atmosphere and the many customization options / mod support of the original (and 2K4) would be a good start. This is what made the game unique back then, and (ironically) this is what would make it unique now.

Also: more weapons, including 'real world' guns, melee weapons & really crazy sci-fi / magic stuff, extremely brutal combat & gore (think Mortal Kombat as a FPS), and a varied cast of characters, including bizarre aliens and scantily clad women. Live dismemberment. Wounded crawling. Executions. Interactive (partially) destructible environments, traps, distinctive maps with strong, diverse themes with fitting music. Vibrant colors, none of that grungy blandness. No SP campaign unless it's really good.

Excellent bot support. None of that cheap wallhacking crap and other typical bot cheats, make them behave more like real people. Put a little effort into it, most people will be playing this game offline, after all.

Brightskins ONLY AS AN OPTION. FFS!!

Don't be afraid to be a bit controversial; controversy sells, castrated blandness doesn't.

NO ****ING GAYSPY!

NO ****ING CONSOLES!

Etc.

That's the kind of game I'd play, and pay good money for.

Will they (Epic) do it? Of course not, they got GoW now and don't give a ****. But maybe someone else will, someday. I really don't care whether or not it's called UT, or has anything to do with that particular universe, as long as it has the above features. I'd love to see a UT-ish game developed on a, say, 2020 engine. Photo-realistic gore ftw!

Agreed with most of that.Unfortunately you won't get 10% of it.

PC gaming is dead. (Other than crap like WoW)

So nothing will revive it.

And even if PC Gaming wasn't basically dead, no one plays good awesome fast paced shooters these days; it takes too much skill for kids now to get interested.

:(

Dead means no draw to me.You should say under attack.People do want good pc games.It's just being killed by devs imo.All we get is ****ty ports with clunky controls and so on.

There's still a draw for it,but why do extra work when you can just take the easy way out,jump on the console bandwagon,and make just as much coin or more.The games can be less in just about every way imaginable.I won't even go down that list.

Your last statement couldn't be more accurate tho.

I don't think Epic killed it, I think it was a foregone conclusion from the very beginning. A game like UT (and, by extension, Quake 3) are doomed to failure because the barrier to entry is much higher than any other kind of game. As PC gaming has become more "mainstream", less people care about deep, strategic gameplay. They like Halo and Gears of War. Games with simpler gameplay, lower barrier to entry, easy competition.

I look back at lots of games from the late 90s and games today just don't compare to them. I think a lot of people who look back at the UT series fondly mostly do so in an "old fogey" kind of "the good old days" way.

The simple fact of the matter is that UT will never be popular again. Epic could make the ultimate, awesome, great, perfect for everyone UT game with perfect competitive options, great stats and everything everyone could ever want out of it, and it would still turn out the same way.

U may be right,but I guess we'll never know since they decided to take the easy way out while saying FU to the pc'ers.UT with controllers?Come on that's just laughable to me.

Not if you have cross-platform. The PS3 has kb/m, maybe the next gen console will have it too

I believe that SP people that have a good first impression of online will stick around.

That's part of the problem right there.For this type of game there CAN BE NO CROSSPLAY.1 of 30 bad things that would do is force someone with a
$ 2500.00 pc to play like he using a nintendo.So that move would only help consoles yet again. Maybe for tetris or something for cross platform,but never for a fast shooter.

Come on, UT was never meant to be deep game. It's a classic fast-paced shooter aimed at quick skirmishes, however UT3 failed at this point as characters as not nearly as agile as they were in Ut2004.

I saw first hand many times the moves made newbies run plain and simple."ZOMG he's in the air how in the hell am I to kill him -RUN!" WTF is that?He has flip hax.Bail!

However I did introduce the game to many of my friends (20 to 30 yr olds mind u) and it was often one of their biggest praises about the game -the moves.
They were like "It's about time we get to do more besides strafe,prone,crouch,and jump" and "These moves make the game so much more intense" and so on.It did definitely made 2k4 unique.

Excluding an 80% that has never, ever, given the UT franchise a fair shake? absolutely!

All the Xbox owners of the world are no good to you if they don't buy and play the game, and not a single UT/UC title released on the Consoles has done even remotely well, it's obviously not what Consoleros want, they want GoW and Halo, UT is barely even a curiosity to them..

The PC market has allways been UT's niche, and any step taken twords making UT more Console accessible will only hurt it in the PC market where it actually has some potential, the only problem is, Epic has consistantly failed to grasp this since UT, 2003 was origionally ment for the Xbox and it suffered for it, 2004 was a step in the right direction (PC) but was too big a departure from what made UT so good in the first place, and now we got UT3, another Console minded venture that has once again suffered for it, PC players aren't keen on it, and the Console versions once again sold poorly and are collecting dust on peoples shelves.

UT is never going to be a GoW killer for Epic, but if a genuinely good UT was made for the PC, one that is a good modding platform, is rich in features and customizability, and recaptures the feel and play of the origional without spoiling it with gimmicks, i am confident it would sell, and make Epic some money, games don't have to be top-of-the-sales-charts material to be profitable, but they sure as hell do need to be aimed at a viable market that will buy it, and the Console versions have prooven time and again that Console's aren't it for UT, the PC is where it has a real chance to move some copies and gain following, but it must be a good PC game for that to work.

The PC market is starved for good games, and that could actually be UT's chance of a revival, but it'll never happen unless Epic once again takes a chance on the PC (and i very much doubt they will).

Go post that on Epic's boards.That's a bannable offense.Pretty much said the same thing over there a few times over the last year and it equals ban every time no matter how much sugar u put on it.They'll never get it,therefore UT will likely never prosper again sadly.

They used to be pc first,now they're console first so I cannot see pc'ers getn squat,but the very blame for their "taking the easy way out".I'd luv to be wrong,but I feel epic sees the situation like a 12yr old would.
GOW Raked / UT3 tanked - pc gaming must be dead.It can't be anything on our end.They fail to remember GOW -built for console -win.UT3 built for consoles(who predominantly don't want shooters like that) and leftovers to pc-fail.Not so hard to figure out.

What would revive UT?Oh I don't know-new ownership for starters.Someone that at least understands that you cannot pass off table scraps for steak.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
When it comes to ****ty console ports, let's try looking outside of the Unreal engine a bit more (since notably, UE3 does to an extent make multi-platform development quite a bit easier, especially in terms of programming).

p3rplex3d

Elephant Rider
Aug 19, 2009
I play UT3 almost everyday and overall really like it minus the xloc and sniper rifle.

but seems to me downloading custom maps etc is such a pain. I don't run a server, never have, but there are so many awesome custom maps and no one is running them. why? I think I maybe 3 times have found a server where downloading a custom map didn't take forever.

to me thats what made UT99 so fun. all the custom content easily downloaded, cached and played. all that seems broken now.

Razorjack

Lone Walker
Dec 18, 2008
The Netherlands
Exactly, that was really impressive in UT.

Although it did work just fine in UT3 though, but I'm talking about 2 years ago when people (and me) were actually still playing it.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
It's working fine (if the server has redirect) BUT some maps are quite huge (esp warfare maps) and some people have awfully slow connection so pulling that 100MB map takes ages and they will leave.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
but seems to me downloading custom maps etc is such a pain.

Blame the cooking process, we never needed it on the PC, and it just makes it harder for modders to share assets, and radically bloats the filesize of all maps and mods.

Cooking is not the way to go for a moddable PC title..

The fountain of youth would revive it...

Really I think everyone who played has out grown gaming or just is old enough to have so many responsibilities they can't get free time to play any more.

Keep in mind the X-Gen has to pay for the Boomers so they can retire at 56 and live the life of the silver platter that has always been handed to them.

1x.

UT99 Instagib 'ladder' champion
Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
In short:
  • For Epic to stop releasing unfinished games.
  • For Epic to never again attempt to console-ize the interface of this franchise. (huge huge mistake, was it worth selling out to Sony? - everyone shake your heads and say no.)
  • More available classic maps & remakes.
  • For Epic to know that just because of the Gears success with the X360 that they should never put all of their eggs in 1 basket and sell everyone else out, they might want to remember their not so humble and successful roots.

Just my .02