Suggestions to Epic

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
Map voting doesn't seem to work. Twice we voted for a different map and it just played the same one over again. Had this happen on multiple occasions in different games.

TraCK

Amateur Sketch
Apr 14, 2005
Kansas City
Ok why is the netcode in general so horrible for this game. I figured they would upgrade technology from 2k4 but its still laggy as hell especially if your ping is high.

In source powered games you can pull off a headshot even at high ping because of how the netcode works. I don't know the nuts and bolts of how these things work but I do know the lag is my least favorite part about the game.

Dogger

Oct 4, 2004
Im sure they play test the game on lan only sessions because offline the game is perfect, its a total different game with hitscan.

Totally agree with source based games, such as rifles in DoD source are playable with 100 ping.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
My two most biggest rants with the new patch is.

1. Names above heads not being made optional
My suggestion : Make it optional...

2. The server browser's player count is now useless. The whole idea was to show how many human beings are playing not bots. It has just been done wrong.
+6/10 means nothing to me. How many actual players are on the server? It's impossible to tell. Bots should only used as temporary replacements.

My suggestion: Lets take the above example and say there are 2 players and 4 bots.

2/10 +4

1. yeah names above the head must be optional, they make for BAD screenshots and clutter up my UT space with FUGLY. (honestly, no one cares what your name is - this aint WoW)

2. OMG the Server Browser has been made WORSE with the new counters, more than a few people commented on this in the beta but apparently there was no time to do anything about it (as usual :) )

Server should never show servers with More Bots before servers with more Live Players when sorting by number of players, doh!?

Should be: Humans(Bots)/Capacity

8/12 = 8 Players and no Bots on a 12 player server

7(5)/12 = 7 Players and 5 Bots

0(12)/12 =12 Bots and 0 Players

and ALWAYS list servers with more Live Players first.

as it is now, a server with 12 bots and 1 Real player is listed before a server with 9 real Players and 2 bots, thats a great way to discourage ppl from playing online...

Last edited:

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
my suggestions to EPIC, first i like the new content a lot. it adds variety and gives the game a more full experience like that of UT2004. more options.

what i feel i must point out to EPIC and the community here is that EPIC seems to want to put effort into the game to fix things. we have a lot more maps, some new gametypes/mutators and items in the arena to change things up. obviously a lot of work has gone into the patch and Titan pack.

if EPIC is willing to do all this work, create videos introducing new gametypes, and other trailers then why can't we get simple things like custom crosshairs? i'm still looking at the ass end when flying a Raptor trying to see what i'm shooting at. there are low ledges to elevated areas, boxes and things which you can not get to with a wall dodge or a double jump. this hurts the flow of a lot of maps and is something that anyone with level design knowledge should know to avoid.

DM-Heatray is a good example. where the armor is on top of the building and you need to use a jump pad in a large crator to aquire it. coming off that jump pad you see armor on top of some crates up there. so it feels natural to be able to double jump from the jump pad and quickly get to the armor in a quick fluid motion. that would be good flow for gameplay. well the way it is now you can not make it and you hit the edge, then have to double jump. its something that could have been fixed in the editor by moving the crates over a few units. it also seems that most jump pads, if not all keep you on a track. when you hit the pad you will arrive at a specific point no matter what. in Quake III Arena and other Unreal Tournament games you can alter your momentum and direction to avoid weapon fire.

these may seem like small things that individually are not that big of a deal. but there are plenty more small issues, many area specific. a game is the sum of its parts essentially and these things do add up to hurt the game in my opinion. i believe that Unreal Tournament 3 has a lot of potential. the new content clearly shows that. it has great art assets and excluding what i said some great level design. but issues that are constantly to me feel like they are fighting and not complimenting the core gameplay will keep the game from being what it should.

this is a case where so little could improve so much and i don't understand why EPIC won't tackle these issues but instead will pile on all this extra content which is clearly more work than fixing these things. best of luck to ya EPIC. thankyou for the new content.

*edit* ^ indeed names above head. the way it worked in UT2004 was great. if your crosshair hovered over the player for a second or two the name would appear and then disappear. i believe there is some broken code/missing that causes the names to just always appear ( i really just hope EPIC didn't think this would be a good feature ). bright yellow text and its size makes it incredibly intrusive. its useful for identifying people in team gametypes but should only appear after hovering over a player with your crosshair for a while. i think a disable option makes perfect sense but it would be nice to see it fixed.

Last edited:

thinsoldier

Jul 30, 2008
My wishlist

I'm sure most of these could be done with a mutator but I think it would be best for epic to do them and make them _options_ in the core game.

Ability to freely switch between your weapons and whatever undesirable deployable you accidentally picked up. It sucks to pick up one of these things then turn around to be confronted by an enemy and be unable to shoot. We should be able to switch between them like we can with weapons or at least have a key for dropping the deployable _without_actually_ deploying it!

Personally, I'd prefer a "press E to pick up deployable" interaction like there is with destroying an enemy orb.

New deployable: Portable Jump Pad
Deploying works like a translocator. Stand where you want the jump pad base to be created. Shoot a beacon like device to where you want the approx. landing area to be. Press alt-fire to create it. Or do it the other way around. Climb up to somewhere high and put the beacon there then jump down and press alt fire to create the jump pad. Of course it can only go so high or so far and the further away the pad is from the destination the higher the pad is going to throw you (hard near fatal landings) and the less accurately it's going to get you to the chosen landing area.
Pad can be knocked around with the shock rifle primary. If moved from its original location by enemy fire then the landing becomes totally random. It can be destroyed by a direct hit from a rocket or equivalent damage from any weapon. This was inspired by a bug somebody showed me in one of the new Vctf maps. There's a gong or something above an archway and if you shoot it enough times the metal disk falls out and can be knocked around. If you stand on it and activate your hoverboard you get propelled ridiculously high.

Titans should have less health and less armour. They should be able to jump higher. Alt fire on their rocket launcher should fire a normal non-lock-on rocket. Their ground pound attack should have a smaller area of immediate death effect and a larger area of just knocking people off their feet.

I like the name tags appearance as they are now. But half the time I don't want to see them or I only want to see them for the opposing team or only my team or not at all. There should be a toggle for these states of name tag display and I'd like to be able to bind the toggle to a key.

Make the bots smart enough to make good use of the towing ability of the hoverboards.
I'd like to be able to open the mini map, click on a node, then click a button named "need a lift" and just wait on my hoverboard for a bot to drive up to me, turn around so I can latch on, and honk the horn.

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
In source powered games you can pull off a headshot even at high ping because of how the netcode works. I don't know the nuts and bolts of how these things work but I do know the lag is my least favorite part about the game.
That's because, in a nutshell, Source games use a form of newnet - the server retains a short memory of where everyone is. If you shoot the player on your screen, and the game determines you would've hit the player if your ping was closer to his, then it awards you the hit. It only does this for hitscan, however; never projectiles.

UT3, or any UT for that matter, has never had any of this predictive netcode out-of-the-box. If your ping's too high, your ping's too high, and that's that. This reduces "false positives" at the downside of making higher pings unplayable.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
my suggestions to EPIC, first i like the new content a lot. it adds variety and gives the game a more full experience like that of UT2004. more options.

what i feel i must point out to EPIC and the community here is that EPIC seems to want to put effort into the game to fix things. we have a lot more maps, some new gametypes/mutators and items in the arena to change things up. obviously a lot of work has gone into the patch and Titan pack.

if EPIC is willing to do all this work, create videos introducing new gametypes, and other trailers then why can't we get simple things like custom crosshairs? i'm still looking at the ass end when flying a Raptor trying to see what i'm shooting at. there are low ledges to elevated areas, boxes and things which you can not get to with a wall dodge or a double jump. this hurts the flow of a lot of maps and is something that anyone with level design knowledge should know to avoid.

DM-Heatray is a good example. where the armor is on top of the building and you need to use a jump pad in a large crator to aquire it. coming off that jump pad you see armor on top of some crates up there. so it feels natural to be able to double jump from the jump pad and quickly get to the armor in a quick fluid motion. that would be good flow for gameplay. well the way it is now you can not make it and you hit the edge, then have to double jump. its something that could have been fixed in the editor by moving the crates over a few units. it also seems that most jump pads, if not all keep you on a track. when you hit the pad you will arrive at a specific point no matter what. in Quake III Arena and other Unreal Tournament games you can alter your momentum and direction to avoid weapon fire.

these may seem like small things that individually are not that big of a deal. but there are plenty more small issues, many area specific. a game is the sum of its parts essentially and these things do add up to hurt the game in my opinion. i believe that Unreal Tournament 3 has a lot of potential. the new content clearly shows that. it has great art assets and excluding what i said some great level design. but issues that are constantly to me feel like they are fighting and not complimenting the core gameplay will keep the game from being what it should.

this is a case where so little could improve so much and i don't understand why EPIC won't tackle these issues but instead will pile on all this extra content which is clearly more work than fixing these things. best of luck to ya EPIC. thankyou for the new content.

*edit* ^ indeed names above head. the way it worked in UT2004 was great. if your crosshair hovered over the player for a second or two the name would appear and then disappear. i believe there is some broken code/missing that causes the names to just always appear ( i really just hope EPIC didn't think this would be a good feature ). bright yellow text and its size makes it incredibly intrusive. its useful for identifying people in team gametypes but should only appear after hovering over a player with your crosshair for a while. i think a disable option makes perfect sense but it would be nice to see it fixed.

Or lil bigger jump height size might do the thing (few units only, we don't want too high jumps), as I have seen some bots in ctf coret wanting to reach for the healthvials but couldn't jump so high, try adding only one bot in greed and watch him play, you sure will observe that.
The thing with names: As I said earlier it should be optional and more things too, anyway UTComp for UT3, etc. did it right, the way like old Unreal games did it, that you point crosshair to someone and name appears.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
- Demoguy still appears if you've got low fps or loading some rather heavy map...

- crash while playing online on galtanors invasion, the same crash did not happen in 1.3, unfortunatelly I don't seem to have the log anymore...

Axon.Gorge

Is it cold in here, or is it just me?
Feb 8, 2009
1. Names above heads not being made optional
My suggestion : Make it optional...

Agreed, or atleast better icon graphics. I find the one there now wastes a good deal of space for no reason, perhaps even a scaling option for those widgety things (vehicle health etc) as well as the option to disable player names.

Another one Ive heard mentioned is turning off the vehicle helper icons, theres also a ****ton of death messages as well.

Axon.Gorge

Is it cold in here, or is it just me?
Feb 8, 2009
Yeah I thought as much, thing of it is by default UT3 displays 2 death messages for every 1 player death. Personally I like the ones on the console over in the corner better then the other ones, ontop of that theres spree msgs, multikill msgs, juggernaut/weapon/vehicle rewards. Now sure for people who might be hard of hearing all that text is lovely but for me the audio feedback is plenty in alot of those cases :cool:

I just find UT3's screen very clogged most of the time and end up with a little 640x480 square in the middle that has text plastered over the middle. You would think it has some impact on performance, now dont take this as gospel but Im pretty sure the HUD accounts for a major portion of screen drawn calls. I remember seeing in the perf .net test for 2k4 so unless something improved majorly in that regard, Id imagine it being the same.

Its not exactly something Im going to run around bitching about but I figure since we are making suggestions why not put in a word since the game has come so far. Im sure theres other bugs and whatnot... For instance a feature Id like to see (still) is bots being able to track multiple targets and their aiming adjusted (its not 'realistic' at all) if ofcoarse the goal is to get 'human-player-like' AI and not human-botter-like AI :p

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
- mapvote does not work in the old servers (when you connect to them with 2.0 patch, obviously not all the admins upgraded) unless they have third party mapvoting system on, plus as I mentioned there is this bug with weaponstay, clients think it works as weaponlocker, while in fatc the weapon stays there (but it disappears while you run through it), plus after you leave spectator mode in duel or invasion the camera stays there and it won't allow you go back....

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
- mapvote does not work in the old servers (when you connect to them with 2.0 patch, obviously not all the admins upgraded) unless they have third party mapvoting system on, plus as I mentioned there is this bug with weaponstay, clients think it works as weaponlocker, while in fatc the weapon stays there (but it disappears while you run through it), plus after you leave spectator mode in duel or invasion the camera stays there and it won't allow you go back....
Steam your copy of UT3 and you won't see this issue ever again. :p

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
ut3bugg.jpg

Mega Bump.

- This bug appears, but when you switch weapons it is okay again, but during this you can't fire at all.

Will they make another patch after all?

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
The chances of another patch are extremely low.

Why so? They can also add some new engine features if so. But really, as this thread shows, there are still unsolved bugs.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
This thread hasn't even scratched the surface on unresolved bugs. There are tons of them. However, Epic is on to greener pastures by this point.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
This thread hasn't even scratched the surface on unresolved bugs. There are tons of them. However, Epic is on to greener pastures by this point.

Well, I posted few other separate threads of bugs I found, but I trust your word.
Still making another patch wouldn't hurt them.
I mean some of the decisions in patch 2.1 were terrible, why not leave them optional? That is something they should do at least.