Hourences

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Serpentine is my old favorite , this map bring so much trap with the elevator , and the shock placement is perfect , when you 'camp' around the meshe with both snakes

i still love this level

to get back on the topic , i am sure hourences will not stop mapping , he is pissed for a moment and we could all understand him + , he controled himself , insulted nobody

the part of the window is just such a bug that i don't even care about , somme ppl just overloaded the thread with this ''problem'' , i will not name who , but i guess that it was not nececary

we are all with you hourences , Keep up the good work!

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Symbolikal said:
Hourences is probably the best mapper of all time on the unreal Engine, the only people who even came close were DavidM (where is he?), maybe Taz (Aristocracy) and Desperado#2(Who never played any of the Nirvana maps?). I'm nearly never on iRC, what did Hourences do in #bu?

Mind you, Mister_Prophet is also very good.

He was the lead designer of Xidia and 7bullets, made Skytown Redux.
And those are impressive projects.

Last edited:

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
ThurtySixBelow said:
Hourences pwns. I'm sure everyone already knows this, but I figured I would share my insight for the day

-37º if you like Hourences maps, I urge you to download the 1on1-Pack, it has two great maps by Hourences (Argel and Sae) and the other 4 maps are all high quality too.

I love all his DM maps, but IMO it is with his ONS maps that he really pushed back the limits. Dinora and Adara are just so different to anything that other ONS mappers are doing, truly unique maps :)

I'm also a big fan of Nathillien maps. He's pretty close to Hourences when it comes to visuals, one of the few mappers who also consitantly produces visually interesting and top quality DM and ONS maps. His best maps are up there with the "H" man IMO.

Edit: The actual 1on1-Pack site's download link no workie, so I've linked it to Bazzi's site....Yup, Bazzi, the man who told Hourences that his map needed optimizing ;)

Last edited:

Ragna

Was online.
Dec 1, 2004
Sydney, AUS
Kantham said:
Dave Ewing is gone , no?

The maker of famous DM-morpheus.

He works for Digital Extremes. Who are currently busy completing Pariah. Once that's finished, he'll proably come up with future projects.

{MåçE}

ma$e is back!!??
Mar 6, 2004
personally, i think rankin is the only hourences map worth playing.. even then, i only play it when i want variety. its a decent map for competitive play, but it just got played out, especially in the demo days.. i cant stand playing it.

torlan is a great map too.. the only reason i dont feel that its worth playing is cuz onslaught isnt worth playing in my opinion :p jk jk jk :)

redkin is a cool map cuz of all the moving meshes and whatnot, but as for gameplay, it really doesnt have anything new or original in it.. some hallways with some rooms, some jump pads, some lifts.. there arent any real defining features to it. look at a map like goliath, with all its irregularly shaped rooms, catwalks, intertwining layout.. or a map like goose, with the major z-axis focus, with the big jump pad and bridge being sort of a focal point for the map. to me, redkin seemed a lot like box-shaped rooms with hallways connecting, nothing innovative really :(

if i had to vote a favorite mapper of all time, i'd have to stick with soma.. he really takes the right approach on making maps. for achilles, he posted betas of the map (originally titled "The Wall" ) on prou.. they had almost no eye candy.. he made multiple betas with various layout changes.. then he filled it up with eye candy and submitted it to the CBP2. its definitely possible to get good gameplay and get good eyecandy, but i dont see too many mappers doing both. some maps have good gameplay, but look horrid.. other maps have groundbreaking graphics for ut2k4, but no gameplay (i think hourences' maps lean more towards this category).

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I don't know wether to cry or laugh after reading red_fists comments on the map.
That guy is, I'm sorry, a genuine idiot.

And what about that other guy, who complains he can't play the "original" version of the map. He can only play the "downsized/low detail" version.

Can you believe that? Can you honestly believe that?
The lower detail settings are there for people with "slower" computers.
But... but.. does he realise that?

No, he wants 2 play teh original versjion with fuhll detaillol,which of course makes his poor old rig grunt and moan..

Sigh :-(
People like these give me a headache.
>_<

Maybe I interpreted that comment the wrong way, but.. thb I'm sure I didn't.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
No I think you nailed it. The impression I got was that he thought the map should look the same for everybody, therefore no detail should be added to the map unless people with crap rigs get the same experience as those with beasts.

I feel bad for Hourences. I mean, yeah, he kind of spazzed a bit considering the lamers that were commenting on his map, but honestly, how can you look at the posts there and do anything other than :shake: ? Few people work as hard as he on projects, and his visual detail is stunning, especially for people like me who are not as savvy at such things (see also: Cola). The detail is great, the gameplay is great, there's only one not-so-good dead-end in the level... I mean seriously, what more COULD you want?