Linksys WAP54G issues

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Figured I'd give this a shot, since it's fairly common hardware, although most people use wireless routers these days.

Anyhow, I have a Linksys WAP54G, basically an access point, pretty neat piece of hardware, but it seems to have stopped working completely. I went to visit family over christmas, and when I came home, I simply could no longer connect to the thing, neither wireless nor wired. The SSID broadcast is visible, but connecting simply doesn't work.
I tried resetting it completely, returning it to the default 'linksys' SSID with no wireless protection, but it still won't connect. Normally I should be able to connect to the thing when it's been reset, and then set it up through the web utility at 192.168.1.245, but I have had no luck with that. Pinging it simply gives this
Code:
PING: transmit failed. General failure.
and obviously pinging anything else except localhost gives the same error.

The diode display isn't reporting any errors as far as I can see.

This isn't really a big problem, I'll just buy a cheap wireless router, they cost nothing and are just as good, except for range, which doesn't matter to me. Was just hoping somebody had any idea on what could be going on with my WAP, since I really prefer a wireless access point over unnecessary hardware like wireless routers.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Interestingly, just found out the internet is also down in my area (student housing), but it doesn't really make any sense that I can't configure my WAP outside of that environment.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Duff clock?

If you don't have Internet access, it might not be able to use NTP to set its clock. That would prevent the TLS-negotiation needed to access the admin page (clocks too far apart cause the negotiation to fail in order to avoid replay attacks).

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Duff clock?

If you don't have Internet access, it might not be able to use NTP to set its clock. That would prevent the TLS-negotiation needed to access the admin page (clocks too far apart cause the negotiation to fail in order to avoid replay attacks).

That's actually a pretty good bet. I'll give it a shot later, thanks.