GameSpy shutting down all hosting

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UT3 - Dead.
UT2004 - Dead.
UT - Dead.
Unreal - Dead.
Borderlands - Dead.

What else? Tons of crap. GTA4, RDR, all Wii online games, all the ARMA games, several Capcom games.......

WGH

Jan 22, 2006
Moscow, Russia
wgh.ath.cx
That's why I feel that relying on third-party service is always a bad idea, be it GameSpy, or even Steam, or anything else.

Frankly speaking, I even feel uncomfortable for using Gmail myself, since I have been already bitten by closure of Google Reader.

To derail the thread even further, I'd like to say that even though Richard Stallman's is right regarding non-free software, non-free services (are free services really possible?) are much more serious issue. You have a bit of control over non-free software, but you have none over services.

FlashIV

King of the Impossible
Oct 30, 2005
Illi-noise
Wow, it'll be interesting to see what comes of this. So, on June 1st, if I boot up UT2k4 what would happen? Empty server browser? Are there any games that will be completely broken?

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
I'm hoping this is already done:

Epic has been "phasing out" GameSpy for its Unreal series of first-person shooters, said a spokesperson, adding, "We're spinning [up an in-house solution] next week and we don't foresee any impact."

On Epic's forums, Flak says UT3 is safe. No mention of the others, though.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
None of the UT titles are listed here: http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/projects/2010-titles/

Doesn't mean they are safe, but I thought Epic hosted the master servers for 99 and 2004 themselves.
They have been relaying through Gamespy for ages. I imagine they could host it themselves and tell people to switch the URL in their config, but it won't be automatic...

It's interesting that they say UT3 is safe. I wonder how.

WGH

Jan 22, 2006
Moscow, Russia
wgh.ath.cx
They have been relaying through Gamespy for ages. I imagine they could host it themselves and tell people to switch the URL in their config, but it won't be automatic...

It's interesting that they say UT3 is safe. I wonder how.
Interesting, didn't know that. I also thought UT2004/UT master server was hosted by Epic from top to bottom.

For the record, here's full quote of Flak's post:
UT3 is safe. We have an in-house solution and it will just require you to do a few steps locally to get it running. More info coming!
These "few steps locally" bother me, though. I'm afraid the solution might be as terrible as the one when one had to run the game with superuser rights to see all the servers (due to GameSpy bug, yeah).

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
I doubt the same solution Epic is cooking up for UT3 will find it's way down to 2k4 and '99.

Unfortunate, but who didn't see this one coming eventually?

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Fuck you gamespy, google, facebook, mozzila, yahoo, fuck lamespy. </classic>

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Interesting, didn't know that. I also thought UT2004/UT master server was hosted by Epic from top to bottom.

For the record, here's full quote of Flak's post:

These "few steps locally" bother me, though. I'm afraid the solution might be as terrible as the one when one had to run the game with superuser rights to see all the servers (due to GameSpy bug, yeah).
Great. That probably means manually changing the master server in the config files, which is a really bad solution but better than nothing I guess.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I thought gamespy was integral part of ut3 and the login/account system. So most likely there will have to be patch/crack to remove this...

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
UT online play will prevail, fortunately there's alternatives being worked on.
But for example, what will happen to 360/PS3 versions of UT3?

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Did those depend on gamespy to begin with? I doubt it.
Besides I think Epic could put some forwarding so out of the box stuff will be searchable without needing to modify config etc.
Also this kind of shit happened way early with u2xmp, just mere months after the launch. Epic did not come with solution even though it wasnt really their game.
Also what about other old games?
Now I realize, Daikatana has ingame browser dependand on gamespy master server too. There has been a spring of interest in the game when the free daikatana dm(with removed singleplayer and coop) was released in 2007. However this means all remaining Daikatana servers will die.
What will Romero do about it?!
ROMEROOOO!!!! YOU CAN'T LET YOUR MASTERPIECE TO DIE!!!11
:lol:

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
Hopefully something will come so that UT/UT2004 online play can continue. I know third party master servers exist for Unreal.

UT3's "brilliant" account system was always troublesome though. No internet connection? No saved games or settings for you! Hopefully this fix or whatever will be easy enough.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
What gets me is why Bohemia went with Gamespy with Arma 3? Hasn't it been known for sometime that Gamespy was going the way of the dodo?

If so then this is like GTAV being announced for PC with GFWL integration and due for release a month before the service is killed. That would actually be quite hilarious