Tribes: Ascend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Hmm, my hopes of playing Broadside and Scarabrae remakes in the future are raised

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Ascend does not feature any community map-making or mod tools at release because Hi-Rez states that their main focus is building a large community of players first, and then supporting the game themselves. While a significant blow for the Tribes modding scene, Hi-Rez haven't ruled out the possibility of releasing mod tools sometime in the future.

From Here

Hopefully, they do include it.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Huge Terrain maps? Yes please!

Please no.

Temple Ruins is a perfect example of that, it's also because the flag stand is flat and so easy to defend.

I don't mind the maps we have right now for most of them, I get the feeling mostly anything community-made will be a kick in the ass to play.
But hey, it might be a good deal, I just don't think it will really work, personally.

They added Stonehenge, which is a custom-server-only map. I see one active server running the map and it did empty out from time to time.

Very pointless.

Also, take TF2? Gravelpit servers, after all these years. So many nice custom maps which never gets picked unless you find a VERY narrow community to play them, usually those servers reeks of the same people and are somewhat either empty or hard to get in.

People want to play the best of the official stuff, I've seen it over and over again, I don't think this game will be any different.

Oh man people teaming up with friends to stomp pubs, this is outrageous.

^Is teaming up with friends to stomp pubs.

Anyone played MW2 here? Mercenary TDM was awesome.

Less 5-0's.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Temple Ruins is a perfect example of that, it's also because the flag stand is flat and so easy to defend.

I cap as an Infiltrator in that map; because the terrain is so flat around half it is surrounded by steep hills, you can float through cloaked - turrets won't track you quickly enough and even though you're only capping at ~150-200 sanics, you can be up and over the hill before anyone has time to react. Good chasers can be a problem, but if I'm being chased a decent SMG > Spinfusor/Boltlauncher, and I can drop stickies on the way.

When capping, you should be able to skim the head of the HoF and still grab the flag as well as hop over any shields or mines.

They added Stonehenge, which is a custom-server-only map. I see one active server running the map and it did empty out from time to time.

It's in beta, it'll move into the main rotation when it's ready. Tartarus did the same thing.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
It's in beta, it'll move into the main rotation when it's ready. Tartarus did the same thing.

Oh I know, I'm referring to how low the population is on this map right now, and how likely low the population will be on future "custom" maps the community will make.

TBH I don't like Stonehenge, way too short flag distances. At least drydock has multiple elevations and it all actually make sense.
The way they've laid out the structures and how the flow works is just not appealing.

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
TempleRuins is a perfect example of large scale map gone wrong. The terrain is terrible and the base sucks.

Katabatic is fairly big and is probably one of my favourite maps. I wouldn't mind if they made it a little bigger, or made base-to-base caps a little harder.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Temple Ruins layout makes little sense to me. The base area is mostly redundant.

TBH I don't like Stonehenge, way too short flag distances. At least drydock has multiple elevations and it all actually make sense.
The way they've laid out the structures and how the flow works is just not appealing.

It's a remake - but the scale is whacked.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
TempleRuins is a perfect example of large scale map gone wrong. The terrain is terrible and the base sucks.

I Swear if you're not an echo of what I say sometimes. :gonk:
I suppose quoting me is your last concern.

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
Hey all, I am Telefuzz on T:A. Hope that settles some enigmatic smoke around here. I'm a hell of a tech.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I Swear if you're not an echo of what I say sometimes. :gonk:
I suppose quoting me is your last concern.

No, your point was that large scale maps are bad, and you used TempleRuins as an example of that. My point is that TempleRuins is a terrible example of large scale maps.

edit: If your point was that Hi-Rez sucks at making big maps, then I suppose we are in agreement.

Last edited: