If You Could Do Anything With Your Life

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I just want to publish books and make a decent living either off of them, or teaching creative writing and literature at a good university.

~Jason

GRAF1K

****** Kamikaze
Oct 16, 2003
That's rich considering you're a total dick. :D

In life I'm a little too nice sometimes
On BuF -- a little too mean
And when I'm through
Between the two
I'll know the best way of being

Polychron

Poliwrath
Sep 13, 2003
In a bubble
Life is pointless. Everything is a waste of time and resources. Everybody's life is as interesting as a fart of an alien in a foreign galaxy!

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Who's to say that alien farts in a foreign galaxy do not exhibit any element of interest making life more worthwhile? Actually, I beg to differ. There's even a high chance such event might, dare I say most probably would and could entertain even the dullest pigeon of a person in his most depressed, darkest moment. Who needs christmas bells and santa claus stuck in the chimney, when you can call and alien from a galaxy over and make him fart in your living room?

All depends on the alien race, and the galaxy in question. Be more specific with your future remarks/observations concerning the "unknown", you polylolly.

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
I guess I'm pretty lucky because my life is pretty decent right now. I teach English for the British Council in Lisbon, working mainly with University students, and rarely more than 4 hours a day.
My wife and I own our own house just 3 minutes walk away from work, and we have no mortgage or debts of any kind.

It's not my dream though, and if I could do ANYTHING with my life I'd be a travel photographer.
However, I've spent enough time doing photography part time to know that it's value is decreasing year on year, and making a living in that kind of photography is about as easy as making a living out of writing poetry.

So for the last 3 years my wife and I have spent a lot of time working out what we want to do with the rest of our lives. She quit her job a couple of years ago and has been earning money as a translator, I've started photographing weddings and within a year I reckon I'll be able to quit my job as well. With our savings, and the severance pay from our jobs we should be able to invest in property in such a way that it will provide an income to live on. Along with the translations, 10 to 15 weddings a year and other bits and pieces I make from photography (prints, licensing, workshops) we should have the freedom to spend most of our time doing stuff that we love doing, and around 2 months a year traveling and photographing.

That's pretty much all I want out of life. The freedom to make my own choices, to travel and photograph, to be able to put a little money away for retirement and not have any debt.
I'll bump this again in 2 years and see if it's come to pass.

Last edited:

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
^ is a very lucky person indeed.

Well, a lot of it is down to the stage you're at in life. I'm 39 now, but was still paying off my student loan and living in crappy rented apartments until I was 30.
It was only when I met my wife and took up photography about 4 and a half years ago that either of us started to get clear idea about what we wanted to do with the rest of our lives.

But I do believe I am lucky. I grew up in a tiny mining town outside Nottingham, my dad was a miner who lost his job in the strikes in the 80s when Thatcher ripped the heart and the guts out of England. It doesn't escape me that a different choice here and there, and I could quite easily be working in some office somewhere in the same town, or still scratching a living working teaching immigrants in London (I did it till I was 27 and it was rewarding work, but I struggled to make ends meet).

A lot of it comes from not listening to other people tell you what you can and can't do.

Igoy

dea ex machina
Jan 20, 2008
Norwich, England.
slave-riot.co.uk
Oh absolutely! More specifically, you're very lucky owning your own house at 39. In England right now, you're lucky if you can even get a mortgage/deposit ready for a house. Even then, you'll never own the property. What you pay each month will just pay the interest.

Also, you're very lucky that you're talented enough at what you do, that if you did decide to go down the route of travel photography as a career, I wholeheartedly thing you could be successful in it - not many people can say that.

Tsk, some people get all the luck. ;)

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Life is pointless. Everything is a waste of time and resources.
How can resources be considered wasted if life is pointless. Wouldn't time and resources also be pointless. But I agree.
Outside the brain everything is pointless.
-

I think also, I just realized. If I could do anything I would work at the Sarang base for Lunar Industries. And play table tennis and stuff with GERTY during the weekends. That would be exceptionally perfect. All alone on the moon

Last edited:

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
I'm not married yet, but if I could do anything with my wife, I would strap her to the ceiling and attempt to bone down on her while swinging from a trapeze.

Staward

Lauda tuus animus
Jan 31, 2008
-23° 58' 3.15" -46° 20' 32.07"
I think i'd make myself win the lotery. Then keep making that happen 'til i get richer than Gates.

Now seriously tho, we don't have to seek for eternal life, but create a legacy that will live up forever with everyone else.

And that was extremely wise, but completely off-topic.

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
...what would it be?

Starting a new civilization on the high seas.

Are you doing it now? If not, why not?

Nope. It's kinda hard, and I'm kinda lazy.

Now seriously tho, we don't have to seek for eternal life, but create a legacy that will live up forever with everyone else.

Actually, we should do both. But it's kinda hard...

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Oh absolutely! More specifically, you're very lucky owning your own house at 39. In England right now, you're lucky if you can even get a mortgage/deposit ready for a house. Even then, you'll never own the property. What you pay each month will just pay the interest.

No kidding. I'm grounded here until May, but as soon as that commitment is up, I'm out of here. That £6000 a year for rent that I'm currently paying goes a whole lot further elsewhere in the world.

Save a few pennies, buy a top-spec laptop, and I'm out traveling for as long as the freelancing work holds up. It's cheaper.

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
A businessman was at the pier of a small coastal fishing village when
a tiny boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the boat were several
large fish.

"Fine catch," said the businessman. "How much time did you spend catching
them?"

"Only an hour," replied the fisherman.

"Why do you not stay out and catch more fish, then?"

Surprised at the businessman's question, the fisherman answered: "I have
enough for my family."

The businessman had a plan. "What do you do with all your time?" he asked.

"During the day I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children and take a nap
with my wife. In the evening I stroll into the village where I sip wine and play
music with my friends. I have a full and happy life."

The businessman scoffed. "I am a very educated man, well qualified to
explain how you should operate your business. You should spend more time
fishing and buy a bigger boat with the extra money you earn. The bigger
boat will allow you to catch more, and eventually you will have enough money
to build a fleet of fishing boats. You would no longer need to sell your fish so
cheaply to a middleman. You could control the product, processing and
distribution. You could leave this village and move to a large city, where you
will oversee your expanding enterprise."

The fisherman asked, "But sir, how long will all of this take?"

"15 or 20 years."

"What then?"

The businessman laughed. "That's the best part. When the time is right you
could sell your company, becoming very rich."

"What then?"

"Then you could retire. You could move to a small coastal fishing village.
During the day you could sleep late, fish a little, play with your children and
take a nap with your wife. In the evening you could stroll into the village to
sip wine and play music with your friends. You could have a full and happy
life."
sounds like the businessman would provide jobs for the unemployed and provide more food at the markets instead of being so self-absorbed ;P