Suicide, is that a necessary path?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Suicide, is that a necessary path?

• Yes.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • No.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Perhaps.

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • It's a sin!

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • The will to live is too strong.

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Yeah, I agree but. I think it would be selfish or at least not too great for say a single parent of young children to commit suicide, leaving their children alone.

Like, that would constitute a trauma. Totally psychological-developmentally altering.
Probably would be better to try something else, unless you didn't care what happened to your children - which would be selfish.

anaemic

she touch your penis?
Jan 7, 2002
london, uk
Anyone has a right to do it... But it isn't a good thing to do. I understand it but I do not approve of it... You have to be awfully occupied with yourself to do a thing like that.

Polychron

Poliwrath
Sep 13, 2003
In a bubble
Anyone has a right to do it... But it isn't a good thing to do. I understand it but I do not approve of it... You have to be awfully occupied with yourself to do a thing like that.

Not everyone has a right to do it! Euthanasia is prohibited in most states.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Ending your own life is something that concerns you and you only

wut wut in the butt
I suppose if you think so poorly of yourself that might seem like the case, but few are so cynical to think that it's not their problem that their kid, coworker, friend, or classmate took their life.

Maybe it's a cultural thing, idk. I've noticed that caring about people is a pansy thing to do sometimes. Maybe I just need to toughen up and learn to laugh at the people in my life suiciding.

Staward

Lauda tuus animus
Jan 31, 2008
-23° 58' 3.15" -46° 20' 32.07"
wut wut in the butt
I suppose if you think so poorly of yourself that might seem like the case, but few are so cynical to think that it's not their problem that their kid, coworker, friend, or classmate took their life.

Well, i was not talking about me, but about these people that really have no hope left in life.

Of course, a suicide is not something normal, it affects other people's lifes, but in the end people get the judgement they deserve. If one poor miserable can't stand his own life anymore, it's totally up to him what to do, and all that's left to us is to consider their reasons. This is forgivable to one particular as this, just as much as it's unacceptable for a man of family, for example, to commit suicide.

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
Consider what your friend's daughter must have been struggling with to make that choice.

oh, I can imagine. Teens have so much stress these days, yeah... :rolleyes:

teens kill themselves for reasons that are utterly pointless and temporary in the grand scope of things. It's kind of like your "first heartbreak". You're utterly certain you won't survive it and you feel sick, but in retrospect it's laughable at best.

teens kill themselves for reasons that are utterly pointless and temporary in the grand scope of things. It's kind of like your "first heartbreak". You're utterly certain you won't survive it and you feel sick, but in retrospect it's laughable at best.

A kid I knew my Junior year of high school killed himself, and the "reason" was failing math grades (strict family academics, his parents were professors if I remember correctly). I actually remember that it made waves in the local news for fifteen minutes and he was even made fun of on Opie and Anthony.

Anyway, I bring it up mostly just to contribute. Though I don't think age has much to do with it. Too easy to say that, I think. Can't imagine it's such a simple thing either way. Granted, suicide is probably more "wasteful" when a teenager does it because, yeah, how serious could most of their reasons be? We all think our plights are the end of the world when we're 17. But my grandfather killed himself too, so that's the other side of the spectrum. I don't think his rationale was any better than some teenager's self-destructive angst, though the circumstances (from his perspective) might have seemed more hopeless.

In any case, it sucks when you're personally connected to someone who does it. Such a thing warps your perspective on suicide and grief in general.

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
My older brother's wife had a breakdown a year or so ago. This past thanksgiving he took her on vacation to our mother's house for a week preceding the holiday. She went missing 1 morning, 10 hours later they found her car abandoned in the woods and body leaning against a tree a few yards away, she had slit both here wrists and then her throat. My brother refused counseling and the family refused to make him get it or to take his weapons away, to that end in February he shot himself in the chest with a shotgun.

It is hard to explain for a rational minded person like myself the pain and grief this caused my late sister-in-law's family and friends as well as my own. But it was monumental. I received phone calls and letters from people I forgot existed. In 2 days after my brother shot himself I got over 100 msgs/friend invites/comments on my facebook page. There are several members of my own family that dealt with or are dealing with various mental issues due to the loss.

Just saying it is selfish or stupid seems to be a rather drastic understatement IMO. But certainly not incorrect.

lovebug

Dec 26, 2009
:( Is anyone in this story to blame? I doubt that your family could have 'forced' him into councelling and if his weapons had been taken who's to say he wouldnt have found some other way to end his life. Its a very sad story and I hope you and your family will get through it xx

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
What's really sad is that most of these suicide cases could be avoided if in the proper care. All it would take to make someone feel better is to get some "feel good" chemicals in their system and a few weeks or months stay in a specialized clinic. And if their situation really is bad some counselling advice on a few life changes will get them on the right track.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I only mention it to make the point that I did in the last paragraph.

To answer your questions though...
No, taking away his weapons wouldn't have taken away the ability to commit suicide. But urging him him to get counseling and taking away his weapons (via taking him away from them if needed, IE shipping him around to various relatives) would have illustrated that people cared about him, it would have provided support and afforded his mind something to do rather then sit and stew in his grief.

Could we have forced him into counseling? Yes, legally we could have gone so far as to have him committed. But my family was as much in denial about his mental status as was he.

If I was to point fingers I would have to point most of them at myself, I knew that he was unstable and mine was the right course of action but merely accepted the majority rule of my family on things, waiting for what I saw as the inevitable ghastly end of their line of thinking. :(