Duke Nukem Forever Reviews

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
[GU]elmur_fud;2518644 said:

Consolization pussifies anything. If you are going to port a game, port it after launch.

QUOTE]

<Off topic>Hey with that pussifies word I used to mention when Im playing in official Epic greed #2 ...I had seen you before playing in this server?</Off topic>

Go ahead with this post

Lol are you saying I suck? Can't tell, there is a bit of a language barrier. Doesn't matter. Though greed is my favorite gametype I have never gone online with it that I remember. My UT3 crashes if I try to get online, has for a very long time.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
What's putting me off buying this game is the apparent feature creep it suffers..

All i really want from a Duke game is guns, levels full of enemies, and the abillity to shoot said enemies with said guns, whilst sporting a shit eating grin, and listening to Duke spout cheesy one-liners.

That is what Duke3D was, it's a genre of shooter we haven't seen for a very long time, and i miss it, i miss the cathartic simplicity of "here is your gun, there is the bad mans, SHOOT HIM IN THE FACE!", and it's all i really wanted from the game!

But from all the reviews and reports, from the demo, from the youtube clips, it is painfully apparent that this is not what DNF is. Sure it has that element, but it's burried beneath a bunch of bad trends that shooters where experimenting with back in the day, like the forced vehical sections (ohh joy, that again), the forced "wow a mounted machinegun, i wonder how i'm supposed to deal with thease respawning waves of enemies" sections, the jumping puzzle sections (because FPS games are like, totally great at thouse, or something), and so on and so forth.. It's like Broussard looked at every bad trend that popped up in shooters in the late 90's and early 00's and said "DNF must have this also!", and Gearbox didn't have the good bloody sense to trim the fat when they took over.

I just wanted to shoot the bad mans, why coulden't this just be about shooting the bad mans? :(

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Get Serious Sam Best Friend Edition because it looks like that will be what you want.

Vaginal Epiphany

Jun 11, 2010
Duke was never about absolutely flawless gameplay perfection- it is however, about being funny, silly, and stylistic at the same time. Whats important is that duke amuses you, nothing else.

Stop saying that. When Duke came out, it set the bar for FPS games. At it's time, it absolutely revolutionized the genre. The reason DNF was delayed so long was that Broussard wanted to set the bar once again. Instead, we got a shittier version of the original DN3D, no innovation whatsoever, incredibly dull gameplay that mimics some of the most boring features of modern fps and level design that doesn't hold a candle to the original.

People who buy this for the humor don't get why the first game was so popular, obviously. The humor is and always has been shit, worth no more than a couple of laughs here and there (and honestly, the new one-liners are so much more lame than the originals).

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Just got to the Duke Dome. The game is an absolute mess. There is not a scrap of consistency here anywhere. I especially hate having to hide like a little girl every five seconds because your ego meter runs down. Isn't this Duke Nukem who doesn't run away from anything?

So far I haven't seen much, but what I have seen is just utterly uninspired level design (the path to the dome couldn't be more boring looking), far too much interactivity (use the turret... NO THE TURRET *duke picks up a garbage can*) and a crapload of quick time events. Seriously, I don't want to tap space for every little freaking thing.

The two weapon limit is already frustrating. I definitely wish I could hold more weapons at once. Most of the so-called "humor" so far is cheesy and lifeless. Duke has no character to his voice at all (to be fair, he probably didn't in D3D either)...

I mean, it's probably a not a 3/10 game but, man.... what a train wreck so far.

Vaginal Epiphany

Jun 11, 2010
I don't see the game in your profile. Have you played it?

Yes, I acquired it by other means than Steam. Let's leave it at that.

So far I haven't seen much, but what I have seen is just utterly uninspired level design (the path to the dome couldn't be more boring looking), far too much interactivity (use the turret... NO THE TURRET *duke picks up a garbage can*) and a crapload of quick time events. Seriously, I don't want to tap space for every little freaking thing.
TAP E REPEATEDLY TO PULL OUT THE HORN LOL

Last edited:

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
Although I enjoyed it there is not much replayability for me.

Let us have a look at the first 3d iteration of Duke Nukem:
It started with a very linear part: You fall down a linear vent from the roof. But that's it with the linearity.
Right after that you can decide to either go to the crates to get to the hidden living room, or to the ledge with the secret RPG, you could junp outta the flat to get behind that enemy in the burning container or walk the street.
And with the RPG you can either enter the cinema through the front door, or through the backdoor leading to two comepletely different approaches. And I am not even gonna start on what you can do when in the hall of the cinema and the multiple paths from basically anywhere.

That's one aspect of what made DN3D so great for me in terms of gameplay.

Yes, I sound like an advertiser ... but if you look at the concepts they have for Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded I am much more looking forward to that one.

Just one example:
http://dukenukemreloaded.com/mp01-outside.jpg (There are more sheets with the interior parts)

Yes, they change the original Hollywood Holocaust layout and expand on it. Purists will hate that ... but then we get an editor and people can remake the original HH without being a paintball arena.
Still it is Hollywood Holocaust with all the exploring and multiple paths and the key elements of the original. Oh, yes, keycards will be replaced with more creative puzzles. ;)

That's why I became such a huge fan of the project.

And my personal opinion is that one reason Gearbox gave the license to that project is because that game contains the stuff a lot people miss from DNF: All weapons, non-linearity and mod-tools.

Last edited:

Foufoune_Rose

ǝsoɹ‾ǝunoɟnoℲ
I'm playing the game since the European lauch (4 days ago).
The graphics are really good, except some exaggerated depth of field effects around the Duke Burger. It was aimed to the previous hardware generation, so it's top notch on an actual pc.
It's hard to make a review for this game. It's like a rollercoaster, where you can have a lot of fun, and suddenly everything goes wrong. It's like a mix of Bulletstorm and Duty Calls (the gun that say boooring, boooring...).
If you don't like Duke Nukem, you'd better not buy this game. As simple as it.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Although I enjoyed it there is not much replayability for me.

Basically, this. It has decent design, the 2 weapon thing or ego isn't too bad in most spots, you can still run and gun the same pretty much. In the end though, it's not like Duke 3d at all. Way too linear, level design and enemy gameplay isn't that great. I don't mind a weapon limit but it needs to be higher, like 1 small wep, 2 med and 1 large plus the explosives slots. There are some parts and mechanics that are just stupid and lame. Meh.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
There's just no way this could ever have lived up to the hype and expectations.
I enjoyed the game and felt comfortably reminded of the 90's. It's not the greatest game ever made but it's definitely not the worst, either. I had a nice time playing it and that's about everything I wanted.
I kinda see this as an homage to a genre that doesn't really fit in this day and age.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
My biggest problem is about every 100 yards of travel there are night and day differences in quality. You'll be in one room where the detail in the architecture and enemies and gunplay is awesome and really entertaining. You'll leave that room and find horrible muddy textures, boring corridors that drag on forever, jumping puzzles that are terrible, and basically nothing interesting forever until you reach the NEXT interesting area (typically after some awfully retarded climbing puzzle and a dozen quick time events).

The weapon limit and the ego thing only exacerbate this problem, really, because they make the more interesting parts of the game more annoying than they should be. You have to be too selective with your weapon choices and you really can't run and gun like you want to because you don't have enough "ego" to not die by doing that (maybe you do if you decided to play on the baby setting or whatever).

And, speaking of ego, one of the other worst things in the game is that you have to use crap in the game (or slap boob looking alien things for some crappy one-liner, or draw butts in an autograph book, or pee in toilets, or... probably anything you can think of that is not fun in a game) to increase your maximum ego. It sucks and it is boring hunting down things to dink around with in the boring and uninteresting parts of the game. They do their best to keep you in those parts longer than in the interesting parts.

Overall, so far, major disappointment. I honestly didn't have very high expectations (I never did 12 years ago either), but this has even undercut what I was expecting it to be. If it has one redeeming factor, it's that you want to keep playing to see how far off the track the train goes and how big the explosion will be. (I just woke up on the helicopter)

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I've waited a long time for this one and I've been one of the hold-outs saying I was still going to get it when it came out, but I'm still not sure at this point. Maybe I'll try the demo and then decide.:eek:

I'm fairly resistant to the issues people have with first person platforming, I find it easier to do precision platforming that way (at least with mouselook so I have more situational awareness).

You're not the first person to tell me that, so yeah, sounds like i need to look into it.

I don't like Serious Sam much as the hit feedback sucks (just doesn't feel like your guns are doing real damage, the best hit feedback in a game is in Hammerfight IMO where every good hit sends bits of the enemy flying), after Painkiller I'd recommend Necrovision, at least the second part of the game that I played yesterday was real crazy mass combat with a good dose of Bulletstorm mixed in (played the first part so long ago that I don't really remember though I do remember kicking and swording enemies in the face while burning a bunch of them with a thrown oil lamp).