TNT2 + SD-11 == SUX!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Krane

Nov 29, 1999
Well, I just bought an Athlon 500 and SD-11 and I am sooooooo frustrated. I've installed all the patches and drivers and magic spells that various tech support people have told me to try, but UT and WoT (and most of my other games) crash like crazy. And they don't even have the courtesy to give any error messages - they just hang.

I have the latest BIOS.
I have the latest drivers (and the version before the latest drivers) from both my video card manufacturer and nVIDIA.
I have the IRQ routing patch.
I have the AGP patch.
I have the two other chipset patches.
I have reinstalled the OS (Win98) twice.

Okay, so what's my question?
Has anybody managed to make the following configuration work?

Athlon 500
FIC SD-11
TNT2 Ultra (Xentor 32)
MX300
128 MB SDRAM (7ns & 6ns)

Krane

Nov 29, 1999
LOL
You bought your VooDoo3 3000 from the same place I bought the SD-11 etc....
And I've just about reached the same conclusion you did - looks like yet more money will be leaving my pockets /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

I just wish I'd looked at the message boards BEFORE I bought new hardware :p

Was your SD-11 as poorly machined as mine was? (screw holes misaligned, PCI slots too distant from the back of the case)

Krane

Nov 29, 1999
PS - after playing around with some uninstalling/reinstalling, I've managed to get the thing to work in D3D fairly reliably. Only crashed twice last night - and one crash left me at the desktop instead of a hard lock.

Doesn't make much sense to me, but oh well.

oh yeah - and the only game I tried was UT.... so I guess "fairly reliably" was an overstatement.

Guinness

Nov 26, 1999
Visit site
Join the Club!
If you look around I posted my "frustrations" everywere. From this BBS to TomsHardware, to freaking everywere. Got a lot of good tips, BUT nothing fixed my prob. Same thing you have... Athlon 550 SD-11 TNT2 Ultra 256RAM.
Did... Win 98 SE(non-SE) clean installs, Bios flash, AGP miniport, VIA PCI IDE bla bla bla, FIC web site, AMD, GTint,talk to vendors tech supp., Detonators-NVidia's drivers, Removed SB Live, NIC's, Modems, and the list goes on. I do have a lot of time in my hands.... So spent 2 week D$#%%ng w/ this prob!
My FIX.....
Sad to say but for now I just went and got a Voodoo3 3000 (100bucks hardwarepro.com) and play the game w/o crashing..... Like I said >>> The TNT 2 Ultra is collecting dust <<<
Till FIC or NVidia or AMD fixes this prob...

The final conception is that the Athlon and the TNT2 require so much voltage therefore causing MoBo instability. The AGP port collapses while unable to get and supply the power required by the card. (I did found a fix though>>>
Underclock the TNT2 and it will not crash, but who wants to do that. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
Life sucks sometimes...
Good luck and let me know if you come w/ any fixes. (havabier@yahoo.com)
Frag HAPPY!
P.S. Want to buy another TNT2 Ultra? LOL

Guinness

Nov 26, 1999
Visit site
Did not noticed any irregularities w/ the SD-11. All HOLES were OK... The PCI/ISA slots were not perfectly aling, but a hammer fixed that... JK
And actually during the TROUBLESHOOTING period I went and got another MoBO at the local PC store and swaped em. That did not fix prob neither.

Once again "not enough Volt supplied to the AGP slot"

Maybe next week i'll throw the TNT2 in and pray!!!
Hehehe

Krane

Nov 29, 1999
Well, it ran pretty well again last night in D3D... which is odd because I wouldn't expect the choice of API to affect a voltage supply issue. Well, I'll keep playing with the darn thing and if I get any progress, I'll post it.

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
If you recently flashed your m/b bios, make sure that you short out the cmos settings and start over. Personally, I think the SD-11 m/b is more suspect than the Athlon processor. I'd like to hear from somebody who is using a different make of m/b.

GrimReap

What version of the sd-11 board do you have? I work at a computer store and we have been having a lot of problems with the earlier revisions of this board. But rev 1.7 seems to have fixed a lot of the problems. If you have an earlier version you should consider getting your retailer to replace it for you. The issue with the tnt2 card seems to have been fixed in via's chipset patches. Do not use the 4.14 agp patch with the sd-11, use the 3.13 for the agp and the 4.14 patch for the other stuff, otherwise you could have problems.

Krane

Nov 29, 1999
Well, the PS is 300W.... And why would the system overheat only when running a game in OpenGL mode? D3D is working just great now, but that doesn't help half-life /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

I have board revision 1.7, BIOS v606, but I don't know what version of the AGP driver - I'll check when I get home.

I did think that the heatsinks on the power transistors looked somewhat inadequate... Especially considering that the CPU blocks most of the airflow over that section of the motherboard. That's why I mounted a second rear fan.

Interestingly enough, trying to play an MPEG also causes lockups (usually).

Oh yeah, and my "motherboard retailer" isn't intersted in hearing from me. They told me all the standard fixes and then washed their hands of it. Always read the return policy /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

Oh well - I deserve it.

Thanks!

Guinness

Nov 26, 1999
Visit site
Since I did what I did (read my post-Fix 4 the TNT2 Ultra w/ Atlon and FIC Mobo)(http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~unreal/ubb/html/Forum5/HTML/000136.html)....

I have not seen 1 lock up, 1 crash, NADA!, and I (we) have probably putt about 40+hrs of UT, HL-TFC on this system. So the right (latest) drivers combo, and I'll have to say "at the right installation order", does work. Still getting awesome framerate too...

Frag HAPPY /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif