God is the strangest conspiracy theory ever.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Whooty_dress.gif
Abs_model.gif

Bouncy.gif
Pokies_underboob.gif

Girl_jiggles_girl.gif
Shorts_flasher.gif

Computer_store_bumlookers.gif
Shirt_ripped_open_001.gif

Booty_rubbing.gif
Squeeze.gif

Bouncingthem.gif
Pulling_up_jeans.gif

Rotating_hips.gif
Lucy_Pinder_jiggle.gif

Boobs_Jiggled.gif
Lesbian_tongue_kiss.gif

Waterballoon_cleavage_slowmo.gif
Car_wash_boobs.gif

Jessica_Biel_Jiggle.gif
Pulling_up_dress_buns.gif

Two words. I'm Gone.
I'll bbl.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
And yet many of the world's greatest scientists still believe in God. They sure haven't read any books.

No. That statement is basically assumption. Hawking doesn't believe (Prominent physicist). Neither does Michio Kaku (Another prominent physicist). Einstein did, but he's dead (Pantheist). Most physicists, biologists, and geneticists don't exactly believe. Richard Dawkins is an Atheistic. Collins believes in a god, he's an evangelical, but he's among the four percent of scientists who are evangelical, obviously among the minority. Carl Sagan was Agnostic.

This was a survey done on the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Of the scientists, men are less inclined to believe. In the 65+ years range, the study yielded that 48% don't believe in either a god or a universal power. Physicists who are Atheistic are the majority. Those involved in Geosciences are the most Atheistic at 47% atheists/agnostics. On average, 41% of all scientists surveyed are atheistic/agnostic 18% believe in a higher power, 33% believe in a god. The majority in that group is atheistic.

I'm inclined to believe that you're going to defend your position by asking for my source for these statistics.

http://www.pewforum.org/Science-and-Bioethics/Scientists-and-Belief.aspx

I'm also inclined to believe that you have put little to no thought into that statement.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
No. That statement is basically assumption. Hawking doesn't believe (Prominent physicist). Neither does Michio Kaku (Another prominent physicist). Einstein did, but he's dead (Pantheist). Most physicists, biologists, and geneticists don't exactly believe. Richard Dawkins is an Atheistic. Collins believes in a god, he's an evangelical, but he's among the four percent of scientists who are evangelical, obviously among the minority. Carl Sagan was Agnostic.

This was a survey done on the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Of the scientists, men are less inclined to believe. In the 65+ years range, the study yielded that 48% don't believe in either a god or a universal power. Physicists who are Atheistic are the majority. Those involved in Geosciences are the most Atheistic at 47% atheists/agnostics. On average, 41% of all scientists surveyed are atheistic/agnostic 18% believe in a higher power, 33% believe in a god. The majority in that group is atheistic.

I'm inclined to believe that you're going to defend your position by asking for my source for these statistics.

http://www.pewforum.org/Science-and-Bioethics/Scientists-and-Belief.aspx

I'm also inclined to believe that you have put little to no thought into that statement.
I don't really care about your statistics because nothing you just said refutes what I said in any way shape or form. I never said "All of the greatest scientific minds in the history of the world have believed in God" and I never will. "Many" doesn't imply any kind of a number or percentage whatsoever.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
you know I'd rather step on my own testicles than agree with Brizz, but he's got a point ;)

here, a Vatican scientist (yes they have those, including one of the nicest telescopes on Earth) explains to Bill Maher how science does not have to be at odds with faith.
there's some other stuff in this clip that doesn't necessarily relate to the topic at hand, but it's the best I could find in a pinch. when I get more time I'll see if I can find the full chat with the Vatican astronomer.

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5ACyiSPAmE[/m]

so yeah, there's plenty of smart and educated people that still find reasons for believing.
you know I'm as atheist as they come, but you gotta be willing to see both sides of the debate if you want to provide meaningful input.

Last edited:

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
No. That statement is basically assumption. Hawking doesn't believe (Prominent physicist).
Pffft. Hawking doesn't believe in silicon heaven either. If I were to meet him in person, the first question I would ask him is "If there's no silicon heaven, where do all the calculators go?"

People with short attention spans can skip the first 45 seconds or so.

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4wqAJTu19o[/M]

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
here, these videos are a little more focused on the Vatican astronomy portion of the movie:

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVOonvm1qOg[/m]

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9FdbGxbSk4[/m]

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
A coincidental, near global power-play?

This is my bet. I've always thought that religion was just an elaborate control device. When you think about it, there's not really anything coincidental about it; Christianity, Judaism, and Islam have all had thousands of years to circulate now, so the idea that they're 'global' isn't all that far fetched.

Remember that there were gods way before God, Yahweh, and Allah came along; it's entirely possible that civilizations switched to the currently popular religions over the millennia because they were a much better control device than Zeus (ancient Greek) or the Capitoline Triad (ancient Roman.)

Let us also not forget that God, Yahweh, and Allah are pretty much the same entity, just worshiped a bit differently and with a slightly different backstory depending on whether you are Christian, Catholic, Islamic, or Jewish.

Last edited:

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
You've missed hal's point; religion wasn't the object of his question regarding a theoretical "global power play." He was referring to the plurality of what he calls "seemingly-inexplicable things."

I like this, because it paints God as a janitor to tidy up the inconvenient gaps in our knowledge, therefore as we explain more phenomena God is closer and closer to being out of a job -- and ultimately irrelevant.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
You've missed hal's point; religion wasn't the object of his question regarding a theoretical "global power play." He was referring to the plurality of what he calls "seemingly-inexplicable things."

I like this, because it paints God as a janitor to tidy up the inconvenient gaps in our knowledge, therefore as we explain more phenomena God is closer and closer to being out of a job -- and ultimately irrelevant.

I don't agree. If God was real, he would have never allowed us to fuck things up this bad.