Chaos Underway

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

R.Flagg

Feb 15, 2000
Visit site
Chaotic Dreams has gained a coder, his name is Robert, and we hope to provide a shiny new version of Chaos for this UT.

He is already making impressive progress, and we have high hopes.

http://www.chaoticdreams.org/

What we need next is a modeler who is interested in joining Robert, and helping to lead a new team into fresh Chaos.

Thank you for reading. :)

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
FINALLY YES!!!
After waiting for what was not ChaosUT3 and Chaos Arena (q3) I can finally live to see another iteration of this brilliance.

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Indeedy, there has been some chatting in the ... er... chat room, and it was decided if enough talent can contribute top quality models and Chaos type stuff, we have the makings of a full Chaos crew.

icon_proxy.gif
Chaos is more than a bunch of weapons and pickups. Everything has a reason to exist or be the way it is. Each item has a story.

It needs modellers that understand why the various bits of the weapon do the thing they do, rather than just look cool (although looking cool always gets a thumbs-up).
Chaos is more about style over power. It is not about how many hit points, but about how brutal and evil you are.

We nearly had a Chaos UT3, but now it is time for another chapter with brand new models and resources.
Maybe you have ideas for stuff you feel was needing tweaking, or updated pickups or some crazy piece of devious weaponry, so evil that Liandri won't let you take it into the arena.
We already have the loved / hated proxy-mines, napalm grenades, poison arrows, bouncing bullets, and various melee weapons, and everybody's favourite hated weapon of doom or stupidity, the handy pocket-sized mini black-holes, the gravity vortex (hehe. far too many moments of "Oh...that wasn't clever...").

Those that have played the previous mods will be familiar with the high quality expected of anyone willing to step into the realm of Chaos, as people will be expecting to be blown-away with awesomeness.
Chaos is often a close up, blood-soaked affair so you get a good look at your assailant just before they take your head off.

The ideal response to "Tell us who killed you in an inappropriate way", is;
"Some cool looking freak from another dimension killed me with a crazy-assed weapon, that just made me sh*t my pants thinking about."

Amongst the ideas being thrown around for UT4, some are being discounted because they are a bit too much for the tournament, but not because they are poor ideas (though there are plenty of those to).
Maybe they are more suitable for Chaos ?
I know I would like to be able to stick a proxy on an enemy to use as a camera, so I can detonate at a more fun and chaotic moment :D

Oh what fun. imagine the jolly-japes.
"OK we're all here in the flag room.....dude...turn around..... umm you've got something .....RUUUUNNN !!"
icon_proxy.gif

There is a thread for people to add what they see Chaos as, or what it means to them.
Are you a bigger Chaos fan than me or Hermskii ?
Could you write a story set in the realm of Chaos that explains it, or simply sum it up in a few lines ?
Not many have contributed yet, but I included a post I started writing as an answer to someone in another section.
http://www.forums.chaoticdreams.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6524

Last edited:

UTNemesis

Feb 24, 2008
That's wonderful news! Glad to see you guys are getting started so early with this.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Bastard Sword FTW!

By the way, please don't restrict the melee weapons to their own special gametypes again...

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
The bastard sword was kept for the 2K4 version, but I prefer the speed of the katana or the flexibility of the double daggers.

There is no restrictions to gametype, only a restriction in mappers imagination.
You only start with an enforcer, and pickup whatever the mapper added.

It is a hell of a learning jump getting your head around that sword, but once you get the hang of it, and can use it to block bullets while you run like a mad-man, it is soooo satisfying.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Great news indeed. I have been a fan since the beginning.

Is it wrong or out of line or even stupid to ask if it will remain free?

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
There is no restrictions to gametype, only a restriction in mappers imagination

Noooo... I remember trying to add it to the Armory with WoRM 2k4 and failing. Or something. I just remember not being able to get the melee weapons in the game at all if the gametype wasn't Duel, no matter what I tried. But that was a long time ago...

Downloading CUT2 again. Hope you're right. :D

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
My Thoughts on Melee...

Welp, I reinstalled ChaosUT2 again. A couple times actually which will be explained pretty soon here but to summarize it all up right here, I finally managed to get all melee weapons to work great with weapon swapping and etc. after much work and jerry-rigging.

WARNING: MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF TL;DR AHEAD!!

So first, we're going to talk about the installation. Now, the official instructions (for the zip version of the mod) are to put the main ChaosUT2 folder in your UT2004 folder and then just put the ChaosUT2.ucl file in the UT2004 System folder. (This file will be rather important later.) And at first, that's exactly what I did.

However, launching the normal UT2004 game yielded absolutely nothing when I tried to find any evidence of the mods installation. So, I went back and looked again and soon found you needed to edit the paths in the UT2004.ini file if you wanted to play it with the base game. Fair enough. So I did that. Edited the file, and opened up the game again. Good, I can see all the Chaos stuff now. And then I was back to the original problem I had way back in the day. The melee weapons do not show up for selection at all whenever you try to put them in with WoRM or anything really. Only way was to find them on the map or do Duel.

I wasn't satisfied at all with this, naturally, so I went to do some research in the files. Now remember that lone ChaosUT2.ucl file we put into the UT2004 System folder? That basically declares to the base game what can be used from the mod. And when I opened it, it only listed the weapons... No melee at all.

There's our first problem.

So, the next step was to find the class names for the melee weapons and their related pickups. After just a little looking, I found my quarry in the ChaosUT.int file in the ChaosUT2 folder. And there we go. All the class names for the assorted melee weapons listed. Then I stumbled upon something bad.

As I went back to the ChaosUT2.ucl file, I realized something then. For each melee weapon in ChaosUT2, if I wanted to see it in the game, I would have to manually write in each long entry for the weapons in the .ucl file and make sure they were all correct down to a tee. Yeah, I didn't write in all of them... :p

Instead, I just wrote in an entry to get the Bastard Sword in the game. And that's exactly what happened, nothing less... Or more. So the Bastard Sword was finally seen by the game and I could spawn it in... But that's all I could do. When I pulled it out, it hardly worked. It didn't zoom out the camera to third person and the sword would not move. I could only "ignite" the blade when I pressed the mouse but 0 animations were done. Zero movements. So it's still not working all the way.

Next, I took a lot of the folders in the ChaosUT2 folder and moved their contents over to the base UT2004 installation. I merged the files together without replacing any of the same files I had. But launching normal DeathMatch, the Bastard Sword STILL would not work. Finally, I tried one last thing. I tried it with the Chaos DeathMatch gametype and then the Bastard Sword finally worked perfectly along with all the other melee weapons by extension.

I can now use them in whatever map along with whatever weapons and mutators I please.

ut200410.jpg

If you guys want it, I could write some of my thoughts on these melee weapons. Otherwise, that's all I got. Hope others will find this story/guide useful and/or entertaining.

Last edited:

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
Azarael was working on an update for the melee, but went quiet :(
http://www.forums.chaoticdreams.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6632

Indeed you remind me, I also have the ini edited in both folders to see each other, and do it with all mods that use their own folders, so I can mix the games and mutators more like UT99.
And yeah you still have to juggle with the ucl files.

Hmmm, I forgot about certain quirks, including not cleaning-up the weapon actors with some combinations.
You don't notice to begin with, but after a while there is a lot of weapon clutter.
[M]www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYvdee7Hjtc[/M]

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I have an idea for a new weapon. Well, it is more of a twist on an existing Chaos staple: Proxies that can be used as "guard dogs." Guard dog proxies will provide cover to their "master" and if he is fragged, will hunt and kill the player who killed him.

R.Flagg

Feb 15, 2000
Visit site
Thanks for supportive replies! We certainly are trying. If you've checked our tweeter and/or forums, you've seen that we've got thatscrawnykid on board now, and a small sample of his work. Got get basics done first, before we move into more advanced stuff.

Crotale - dunno about that idea exactly, but there is a more direct approach to that thought that I've pushed on and off over time. Fer example, this work by a former member goes back more than a few years;
Beast5.jpg

Lots of stuff goes on that never makes it into public releases. Sometimes they crop up again later... sometimes they don't. ;)

Last edited:

R.Flagg

Feb 15, 2000
Visit site
You mean this sword?

[SCREENSHOT]http://chaoticdreams.org/wp-content/gallery/chaos-for-ut4/TSK_BastardSword_WIP_.png[/SCREENSHOT]

It's still WIP, being created by Mike (aka thatscrawnykid), our newest member.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I really like the sword, as it looks all swordsy and all. Just sayin.

I have another dumb idea. How about a weapon (or ammo) that upon killing an opponent, the body becomes a time bomb? I'm not sure on how much delay it should have, but essentially have the damage of a grenade. This "body" would remain for several seconds even after the killed player respawns. Thinking of the implications of using in close quarters, similar to the Bio, you don't want to get caught in the blast radius of your own weapon, but oh man, the booby traps you could lay on unsuspecting opponents.