New mutator to protect spawns?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bushwack

Avenged Sevenfold...
Jul 21, 2003
Ohio, NE
Visit site
funny thing is this, im NEVER naded at spawn, im always shot, just as i spawn, thats my chief complaint.
as for blaming ME for losing control of MY spawn, thats not only ludicrous, its retarded, since i wouldnt be SPAWNING, if i wasnt KIA, hence, if i was KIA far away from MY spawn, near the OBJECTIVE, how the phuck is it MY fault i wasnt secureing MY spawn, hmm?
I go for objectives, when i play, and with certain people, i watch thier asses as they watch mine, with all the new to INF and new to teamwork people playing nowadays {which in itself isnt a bad thing} im left to rely on those i KNOW know how to play with teamwork, IE one or two 'buddies' ive played with before. Most people dont know the maps yet, nor the objectives and wander around aimlessly and fail to offer even simple backup. Thats also ok, they will learn or go play something where the word TEAM isnt required, i cannot have fun when im killed on SPAWN after a respawn, thats something that i feel could and should be corrected.

Last edited:

Excelsiore

Binary Liberation Front
Mar 23, 2001
Sweden
www.geocities.com
Beppo said:
@Excelsiore, destroying doors with nades or by gunfire can be done. Mappers 'just' have to implement it. (INF features some movers that should allow such things a bit more easy)

You means it's as easy as setting a property for the mover? Or do you have to replace the door with an INF specific mover?

bDamageTriggered may open it but what about destroying it completely?

Da_Blade

Da sharpest man around!
Jan 29, 2002
The Netherlands
www.dablade.nl
Sorry Bushwack; to mind springs only one map where you can shoot one spawn position directly as they spawn; HotZone. Oh and i think you can directly shoot a few spawn positions on ChemicalThreat ofcourse; but only if the attacking team is dumb enough not to seal to the southern storage (or the defenders manage to defend it ofcourse, which i managed to do once :D). Aside from that; getting shot directly as you spawn is impossible in most maps. Getting shot after taking a few steps IS possible though; so you damn well get your guard up the moment you leave your spawn position, and don't start running off to the battlefield blindly.

Also, most spawn areas are darker then the rest of the map (think ArabOutpost, a map attackers often complain about "spawncamping", giving the ones that just spawned even better cover to break out of their spawn area.

Also; it's usually only possible to get to spawn exits from certain positions; so if you get shot at you knwo where it comes from 9 out of 10 times.

As you might have induced; i find what people call spawncamping nonsense. There will be a fight somewhere between your spawn and the objective; if they managed to push the attackers back to their point of origin; good for them! It happens IRL too; it's just that an attacking force usually retreats before lettng the enemy raid their camps. I found that with respawns, and especially with a significant amount of respawns, teamplay is very important; you have to keep a clear frontline. This is important for both attack and defense.

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
"DoorMover
Description: Special mover for doors. A DoorHandle can be attached by setting it's tag equal to this movers AttachTag. When the door is hit perpendicularly by a large enough momentum it will be blasted open. Normal door opening/closing happens using keys 0 and 1 (key 0 has to be the closed door). When the door is blasted open it will go to key 2 or 3, depending from which side the door was hit. key 2 is in the direction the rotation of this mover points to. To set up this mover correctly, the rotation of the mover brush has to be perpendicularly to the plane of the door. You can easily check this by setting Advanced_bDirectional=True on the builderbrush. When the door is blasted open this mover's BumpEvent can be called.
Found at: Brush_Mover_DoorMover"
An example of the Keek's KeekUT2, but as I have posted before I am not sure if this still works in 2.9. You can also generate leaf which are falling down the trees, security cams ...

Acutally you are able to watch into souther storage, even if it was take. You only have to walk from your spawn (defenders) directly to it, but do not be to close otherwise you will experience problems. This is a usefull way, if the cd has been taken. I am not sure if it is unfair, but I know that it would be unfair to spawncamp from this location.

Fat Marrow

Vegetable
Feb 27, 2002
London
discord.gg
mat69 said:
"DoorMover
Description: Special mover for doors. A DoorHandle can be attached by setting it's tag equal to this movers AttachTag. When the door is hit perpendicularly by a large enough momentum it will be blasted open. Normal door opening/closing happens using keys 0 and 1 (key 0 has to be the closed door). When the door is blasted open it will go to key 2 or 3, depending from which side the door was hit. key 2 is in the direction the rotation of this mover points to. To set up this mover correctly, the rotation of the mover brush has to be perpendicularly to the plane of the door. You can easily check this by setting Advanced_bDirectional=True on the builderbrush. When the door is blasted open this mover's BumpEvent can be called.
Found at: Brush_Mover_DoorMover"
An example of the Keek's KeekUT2, but as I have posted before I am not sure if this still works in 2.9. You can also generate leaf which are falling down the trees, security cams ...

Sounds cool, although I recall hearing that some of their stuff was buggy online (animals pack?). I'll give it a try though (unless it's massive).

Last edited:

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
Animals pack was done by Islington.
We never experienced problems with WAT online on our server back with 2.86, and in this map are some of his "things", the doors, the radio, the camera ...

5eleven

I don't give a f**k, call the Chaplain
Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
:lol: I find, at least for me, that I don't get killed as I spawn that much on some maps......(it does happen)..............but the defender seals off an insertion point well, and they get me before I get them. (Lots tougher to get a hit on the move than in a well positioned, prone, defensive posture)

The problem is, I get so pi$$ed and frustrated that when I respawn, I'm determined to get that son of a bitch, so I go right back to the same spot and die again! :lol:

Bushwack

Avenged Sevenfold...
Jul 21, 2003
Ohio, NE
Visit site
Actually, you guys are playing TOO HONORABLY if you cant find a way to spawn camp, i did it on at least 2 maps you fail to recognise as campable tonite on the 121st server, they are as follows:

Arab Outpost

Iraq

and as soon as im less pisst about INF, ill come online and try all of them eventually, so i'll apologise for my spawncamping in the next few weeks, since im purposefully going to try them at least once on each map in the rotations and post my results.

@ Blade, as far as im concerned the ability of a camper to effectively negate your egress FROM your spawn point technically ruins any hope of you having fun, its different when the defenders/attackers push the opposing team from a neutral middle area of the maps BACK to thier spawn areas, thats acceptable, but when i respawn, and cant generally leave 10 meters out of the exact area where ive spawned, id rather play another game... its almost as if your typekilled and we all know how lame that feels... :eek: :lol:

I guess what i want is a mutator that extends the maps default sniper actor range to prevent anyone from getting close enough to keep me from walking 20 feet from where i spawn,whethere its under cover or not, OR itll be up to mappers to effect this change in future releases of new maps.

Also on a side note and offtopic, what are the chances of someone coding a random sniper mutey? I think that would add a level of tension to a lot of the Urban type maps.

Last edited:

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Bushwack said:
but when i respawn, and cant generally leave 10 meters out of the exact area where ive spawned,

to prevent anyone from getting close enough to keep me from walking 20 feet from where i spawn,whethere its under cover or not.
You see BW, this is what I (and several others) are talking about. You are complaining about getting shot 20 ft from where you spawned. That is PERFECTLY fair IMO. Its only spawn camping/killing if you are killed as you spawn without taking single step. That, rarely happens though.

Also, you can't shoot people as they spawn on Araboutpost and I don't think you can on Iraq either. Short of standing right in the spawn exits (belfast, atoll, chem, border, refinery, etc), the only maps that I recall being able to spawnkill in are Pankisi and Atoll.

Last edited:

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
@Bushwack - changing the sniper actors radii by a mutator has to be map-specific. You cannot use a general value of ie 10% or even more cause it will then cause a bunch of problems with sniper actors starting to kill people at places they have to pass to get to an objective or to the extraction. Random snipers would have the same effect... blocking maybe the only way to the objective.

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
For people that want to use it, here is a Spawn Protection mutator that work in INF 2.9
it was created by Dr.SiN

[What is it]

CCProtector is a quick little mutator that adds spawn protection. It's ripped directly from CTF/e. It works by making the player invincible to any damage for a set ammout of time provide they do not fire or change weapons.

[INI Settings]

There are 2 ini settings that can be found under the section [CCProtector.CCProtector]. They are:

GuardTime (default 13)
MinGuardTime (default 2)

GuardTime is the amount of time for which the player will be protected.

MinGuardTime is the amount of time for which the player will be unconditionally protected. This value insure at least MinGuardTime seconds of protection, even if the player is firing when they respawn.

Only low down , there is a small "UT teleport" graphic around the protected respawned player (but a lot less visible than in classic UT fortunately), and the mutator can certainly be edited to not display this effect by people interested in it.
Enough time to fight back a spawn camper (can be changed in the .ini).

Attachments

• SpawnProtect.zip
    9.7 KB · Views: 14

salad

Dallas Tosses Salads
Oct 23, 2003
www.dallastossessalads.com
Bushwack, show me screenshots of where you can directly shoot spawns in Iraq and Arab Outpost. Show me a demorec of it happening. Not when you're leaving tunnels or exits, but at the spawn. Otherwise it's exitkilling, not spawnkilling. Bitching about exit-killing is amazingly lame. Almost as lame as spawnkilling. If you can't manage to exit without looking both ways and being cautious, then you missed out on a valuable kindergarden lesson I fear: Look both ways before crossing the street.

Bushwack

Avenged Sevenfold...
Jul 21, 2003
Ohio, NE
Visit site
Want to know what else is lame?
n00bs telling me im lame since ive been playing INF since 2.75... :rolleyes: look ive stated my case, my chief complaints, if all you lot can manage is to insult me, then im phucking done, its not worth it to me if noone takes anything seriously, you have your nice little elitist thing going on, your more than welcome to it...
Guess ill go play something else until this community grows the hell up and can take constructive criticism and honest suggestions, i should have known better than to even voice a concern about anything on these forums.

I'll be playing <insert any other game with a better community here>.

@ Beppo, thanx for the honest answer, its refreshing on here...

@ Kw, why not just call it lame ass im not letting you PLAY instead of EAS then? Or better yet, how about SFA, Seriously Flawed Assault.

Again you guys are skirting the point i was trying to make. My point is, INF in its current state/incarnation, isnt fun, i work 40+ hours a week at a very stressful job, come home and want to relax playing my favorite game, unwinding, BUT i cant even play it because i walk 10 freaking feet from where i spawn and some mutant CS kiddie takes away 2 of my 3 spawns, then i get to ghostcam all the new people who have no clue about where they are going and what they are supposed to be doing. Its almost as if you made every map with a cliff in it, and as soon as you leave your spawn area you fall of the earth, YAY, big fun :rolleyes:
I'm done "whining" and being "lame", its now past the point of me reasonably discussing this or trying to get things sorted out, i give up, very few of you get the point, or dont WANT to get the point, its over, Mod, LOCK this POS thread and erase it.

pat yourselves on the backs, you win.

BW out!

Last edited:

salad

Dallas Tosses Salads
Oct 23, 2003
Hah, I guess that means you can't show me where or how it was done, eh? I didn't think so. Oh, and calling me a n00b is pretty lame too since I've been playing since the original Unreal days on the original Capture the CD game mode. Just because I have less than 20 posts on a forum doesn't mean I'm a n00b, it just means I typically have better things to do than argue with people like you on the internet.

"Boo hoo, you disagree with me, I'm taking my ball and going home!" See ya, or not, as the case may be.

Bushwack

Avenged Sevenfold...
Jul 21, 2003
Ohio, NE
Visit site
Thanx for the insult, its duley filed and noted, right where it belongs...never seen you post, or play, so i was assuming, my phuck up.
In any case, i shouldnt have to post any screens, for those that know me my owrd should be enough, but apparently it isnt.
Plus the fact that why should i show YOU in particular, last time i checked, you werent and are not nor ever have been on the SS Dev team, nor have i ever seen anything written by you as far as a coded mutator for UT or otherwise. Go toot your horn in someone elses thread....

Im not leaving, im just not playing till sumthin is done, as far as boo hooing, grow up. I state a case, where i feel there is a problem,ask for a solution and all you can accomplish are insults and accusations.

Screenshots? WTF? if i CANT see it, it DOESNT exsist, glad you werent one of my DI's.........

Last edited:

mat69

just fooling around
Dec 9, 2001
Österreich
www.combatmaps.de
Why should everonye change except for you?
I do not understand you, if you moved a few metres in MWH you could have been killed isntantly, so why do you complain here.
Most people see a problem with spawncamping, like shooting through the tent in Skopje or throwing granades into the spawn zone (actually that does not happen often), but others, like you want (it seems so imho) to be guided savely through the map or at least one third of it.
That is not realistic nor would it be fun, if the defenders would stick in their third of the map, not going near to the center, not trying to push the attackers back.
If you want this - not being killed after going out of spawn zone - play TDM, it is also funny, I like it, but you do not have the new maps.
Or just use the stuff which was given to you, it is a pain in the ass to play on servers where nobody uses smoke. Do they think smoke is just decoration?!
So do not run OUT of your spawn, then you will be maybe out, wait for others, walk together, and not run as fast as you can, before knowing if a place is safe.

Da_Blade

Da sharpest man around!
Jan 29, 2002
The Netherlands
www.dablade.nl
Bush, what's the last time you played? Even though i have seen some serious "spawncamping" (read: exitkilling, good term salad) in the beginning, and new people that didn't know the maps yet; now most defenders dont bother with leaving the CD alone and camping the spawn exits. And if they do, they are usually punished by the fact someone steals the CD and shoots them in the back while extracting. Especially on Skopje this seems true these days.

salad

Dallas Tosses Salads
Oct 23, 2003
Bushwack said:
In any case, i shouldnt have to post any screens, for those that know me my owrd should be enough, but apparently it isnt.
I haven't seen anyone run to your rescue on this or back you up. Your word isn't good enough for me, no. I want proof. Your repeated failure to provide said proof further reduces the worth of your word to me considering it's all you have to fall back on it seems.

Bushwack said:
Plus the fact that why should i show YOU in particular, last time i checked, you werent and are not nor ever have been on the SS Dev team, nor have i ever seen anything written by you as far as a coded mutator for UT or otherwise. Go toot your horn in someone elses thread....
And the last time I checked, you weren't, not have you ever been, part of the SS team, beta team, written any mutator, or created any map. That should make us equals in your eyes, but evidently your all-mighty word and sense of self-worth make you better than me somehow and lift you above the need to provide me with a simple screenshot. Interesting.

Bushwack said:
Screenshots? WTF? if i CANT see it, it DOESNT exsist, glad you werent one of my DI's.........
So prove me wrong with the screenshots. Or you can use your "word" to draw them out in ASCII art.