The recruitment thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
Are you a hip young coder, experienced in UnrealScript and Unreal-related projects? Do you enjoy mods centred around prison-related gameplay? Would you like to join an established development team, a talented mix of professionals and amateurs, who have already produced several award-winning projects? (We occasionally meet up for beer and water fights too.)

In short, would you like to help us create the next generation of Jailbreak?

We're an friendly group of coders, mappers, designers, llamas, and whatever comedy animal I once said does the news. If you think you can help us make Jailbreak for Unreal Tournament 3, then drop us a line.

Whether you're already a regular on this forum or completely new to Jailbreak, post here if you're interested in working on UT3JB.

Let us know what you've worked on before, and what your level of experience is. We're primarily looking for coders at the moment.

(We appreciate all the hard work mappers do (and keep the ideas coming for maps, execution sequences, etc), but we need to make the core mod first before mapping can really get going.)

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
Still interested in a hand? I know Wormbo is pretty much a one man show (He's been a hero of mine ever since UT's Who Pushed Me mutator :lol: ) but maybe there is something I can help out with.

I'm a programmer by trade, using about any modern language out there, but my very limited unrealscript experience has mainly been with the original UT. Jailbreak was my favorite mod out there and I'd love to help see this one get done.

h34dcr4sh

JB Mapper
Sep 1, 2008
Oldenburg, Germany
More Mappers?

Hi,

do you need more mappers?
I'm Interested to build (cool) maps for JailBreak(UT3).

I've attached a Picture from my current DM-map ;-)

Attachments

• ScreenShot00013.jpg
    ScreenShot00013.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 81

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Of course we're still interested. There's not much work for coders at the moment, since we haven't set up our code repository yet. Of course you can already join the team to familiarize yourself with what is being worked on and what is planned.

Mappers are always welcome. We already have a basic version of the Jailbreak code with release switches, arena fights and executions (no special execution view, yet), so you can already create and test maps. Feel free to join #jailbreak (or #utjb) on irc.enterthegame.com for real-time discussion. ;)

MephistonX

Sep 2, 2008
Hey i was directed here by jay - aka - The_Head - as im in the process of getting some concept art made for him for a future jb level - just thought i'd say hi etc...

my portfolio is here its a bit broken atm but theres some stuff on there

anywho if your intrested im happy to help with any visual concepts etc..

cheers

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Looking pretty nice :)
You will want to get in touch with Wormbo to be given access to the development section of the forums. I don't have a moderator-stick :p For now, you won't be able to place jailbreak-specific actors until that time, but don't let that stop you from building jails into a map in the meantime. Here are some things to consider for jailbreak maps:
-Though CTF maps often work well in jailbreak, keep in mind that while an easily defended base usually means stalemates in CTF; hard-to-defend bases in jailbreak usually mean the same thing. In a nutshell: Jailbreak's release switches should be reasonably defensible.
-This is just my personal preference and not really a rule, but I highly reccomend jails be centerally located in the map. This thrusts released players right back into the action, without resulting in what I refer to as "base swapping syndrome" where you end up with the enemy team in their base spamming their switch and vice versa. Jails need to be a reasonable distance away from the switch.

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Welcome! :wavey:

In a nutshell: Jailbreak's release switches should be reasonably defensible.
It depends on the map and the game style you're looking for, but I think we shouldn't be playing many stalemates with UT3's stronger weapons. In fact, I'm afraid of JB becoming too much of a LMS game in UT3 if maps are too (or just a little) camper-friendly... Anyway, this is one of those philosophycal problems with no solution: whatever you do, you will not make everyone happy! :D

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Heh, well I meant to say (think JB-Crusher) that if the switch is too easy to reach, the game will never end. :)

PsyXandeR

Aug 5, 2005
W00ting himself on CTF-AllYourW00T
Hey guys! Are you still interested in mappers? I would like to contribute something to this mod. I have small JB left from UT99, I could possibly use that one. My work examples are here. Let me know if you are interested, I'm doing my best to get into UT3 mapping. Cheers.

Fishbox

Industry Noob
Jan 26, 2009
Hi guys..

Are you still looking for mappers? I need some mod experience with UT3 and would love to help out (signed up as soon as I saw this post - only just had chance to reply).

I'm a University student (graduate this year) and would love something like this on my CV - I've plenty of free time and would follow a professional process.

I'd most likely work with existing meshes but havge maya experience, so am capable of creating centrepieces there.

Link to a map I made in UT3 (no custom meshes): http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishboxen/sets/72157603784247322/

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
Hi guys..

Are you still looking for mappers? I need some mod experience with UT3 and would love to help out (signed up as soon as I saw this post - only just had chance to reply).

I'm a University student (graduate this year) and would love something like this on my CV - I've plenty of free time and would follow a professional process.

I'd most likely work with existing meshes but havge maya experience, so am capable of creating centrepieces there.

Link to a map I made in UT3 (no custom meshes): http://www.flickr.com/photos/fishboxen/sets/72157603784247322/

We love mappers!

Nakur

Feb 19, 2009
Any use for a scripting LD?

Hey, I recently graduated from the Guildhall and am currently pursuing a job in the games industry. In the mean time, I need something to keep me busy, so I thought I'd check out the mod scene and see if I could put my skills to use. I mainly consider myself a scripter, but I can do anything required from beginning to end of the level development process.

Feel free to check out my work and resume at www.danielpetway.com and lemme know if there's something I can do to help out. My professional email is in my portfolio but I check my personal email more often, NakurTheOdd@gmail.com.

Thanks for your time and good luck on the mod!

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
Hey, I recently graduated from the Guildhall and am currently pursuing a job in the games industry. In the mean time, I need something to keep me busy, so I thought I'd check out the mod scene and see if I could put my skills to use. I mainly consider myself a scripter, but I can do anything required from beginning to end of the level development process.

Feel free to check out my work and resume at www.danielpetway.com and lemme know if there's something I can do to help out. My professional email is in my portfolio but I check my personal email more often, NakurTheOdd@gmail.com.

Thanks for your time and good luck on the mod!

Thanks for getting in touch with us. Check your email :)

[H3D]Pendragon

Teammember on UT3JB
Sep 5, 2008
Hedsteem.com
Hello, if anyone here has played on a Hedsteem server, than I am sure you've played my maps. I actually didn't realize that UT3 Jailbreak was done, and so I was making it in DM by simply using Kismet to enable and disable spawn points in my maps.

I would love to help, I have amateur UT3 coding skills, though I am an expert coder in many other languages, I am still new to UT3. I can also make maps for you guys, that we know I am good at.

Additionally I can offer you guys a server to run Jailbreak on on behalf of Hedsteem, but the conditions of which we'd need to discuss more.

If you still want help making maps, that would probebly be what I would be best at. I could also easily convert any one of my / our 160 maps we've made at hedsteem into jail break maps.

Some of our maps include:
  • VCTF-H3D-ActionCity
  • VCTF-H3D-Beaver_Beach
  • VCTF-H3D-BorderCrossing
  • VCTF-H3D-Bred
  • VCTF-H3D-Caddy_Shack
  • VCTF-H3D-Caddy_Shack-1031
  • VCTF-H3D-Caddy_Shack_msu
  • VCTF-H3D-Chamber_of_Heros
  • VCTF-H3D-ChristmasMorning
  • VCTF-H3D-ChristmasTown
  • VCTF-H3D-FestiveRidge