CliffyB On Gears, Nintendo, And Next-Gen

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Kotaku has cornered the ever-mobile CliffyB to garner his thoughts on a variety of subjects, including Epic's upcoming Gears of War, Nintendo, and Next-Gen.

Kotaku
Gears of War is certainly one of the most anticipated games for the 360, what gaming innovations do you expect it to bring to the next generation of gaming?

CliffB
I believe that “Gears of War” will be the first game to really establish the “Cover Shooter” as its own legitimate genre. In the past games such as Splinter Cell and Metal Gear Solid established the stealth genre...

...Is Gears the first game to feature cover? No. But it’s going to be the best implementation you’ve seen and it will be supported by a publisher who will know how to bring the idea to a legion of gamers who maybe…maybe are be a bit tired of running around deathmatching like chickens with their heads cut off. Gears is to the shooter genre as Tekken is to the fighting genre.

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
What other cover shooters have their been? The only one that comes to mind for me was Winback by Koei for the N64 and PS2. Wasn't there a more recent one for the PS2?

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Plumb_Drumb said:
Cliffy just can't get over the fact that he made it in the high scores list of Nintendo Power issue #1.
*sigh*
lol.

"Gears is to the shooter genre as Tekken is to the fighting genre."

He really shouldn't have said that, it turns me off.

Why? Tekken is loads of fun!

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
I don't like the Tekken very much.
(VF ftw)

neat graphics, but not my preferred gameplay.
Sorry.
I would rather circle the cosspad, than mash the buttons.
(so to speak... I'm not trying to dis Tekken here)
________
Live sex

Last edited:

Bania

Jun 12, 2004
Wish he'd stop talking. If the game isn't a masterpiece in terms of gameplay then he's screwed.

And to me, the game looks like crap right now.

Plus, you'd think the main feature of the game (cover shooting) would have good animations, rather than the robotic, framey stuff we see in the video's.

I want this to be good, but I can remember how everyone was hyping Brute Force (another 3rd person shooter) to be better than Halo and all that stuff and how much it ended up sucking.

EggBoy

Apr 26, 2005
Bania said:
Plus, you'd think the main feature of the game (cover shooting) would have good animations, rather than the robotic, framey stuff we see in the video's.

The game is still being developed so the final game should have proper animation. Some of the UT2007 videos look even worse. Most developers will be too embarassed to let the public see stuff like that and they will release photoshopped 'screenshots' instead, but Epic seems to like showing off their actual prototypes. I think this game should be good on console if they manage to give it a cool cinematic feel like those WW2 games (COD, BIA, MOH etc), except with a sci-fi theme.

FEAR relies a LOT on cover as well because of the damage all weapons deal (I don't know about the lower difficulties but that's what Hard is like). Worthless in multiplayer, of course, you don't have enough time to seek cover when you are under attack, but in SP it's vital.

Tekken is usually called a mainstream but weak fighter because it relies more on memorizing long button strings than anything else. I don't know what that's supposed to mean in an FPS context except maybe that they'll have fifteen fire buttons and you have to hit them in the right order to keep firing.

To me that's the reason I prefer fighters like the 2d indie ones (not so sure about commercial 2d fighters, most use too much memorization as well), Soul Calibur or Naruto 3 (GC), no need to memorize hundreds of button presses just to land a basic combo. Hell, Dead Or Alive or Bloody Roar have more depth than Tekken.