No Editor For Bulletstorm

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
A forum post by Epic Games' Community Coordinator (Flak) confirms that the Unreal Editor will not ship with the PC version of Bulletstorm.

In Bulletstorm, we would have had to make modifications to the Unreal Editor to account for the skillshot system. We spent years developing the skillshot system and carefully balancing weapons, and it was a resource matter - make an editor we can ship with the game or keep polishing Bulletstorm for release.

Epic maintains the Unreal Development Kit (UDK) for people who would like to work with our game development toolset. We regularly release free, updated versions that include the latest additions to the engine. UDK *is* Unreal Engine 3 - plus it comes with sample content that can be used to make standalone games. Epic's engine team makes hundreds of improvements to the engine every month and UDK is the best way for developers to keep on top of the latest technology. UDK ships with the gorgeous visual features seen in Bulletstorm - Unreal Lightmass global illumination, light shafts (a.k.a. god beams), dynamic lighting and shadowing, and so much more.

Last edited:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Are you surprised at all by this? The only UE3 powered games that have really enabled an editor was UT3.

My guess is that they're trying to shift modders to UDK so they can let their licensees focus on making games instead of worrying about mod support. (EDIT: OK Flak makes this point readily apparent. Didn't read the link before I posted this).

While I do think it's sad that we won't see any community created Anarchy or Echo maps, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if EA/MS/Epic/PCF saw a strong mapping community as a potential threat to DLC sales.

Which is weird given that Blizzard and Valve seem to be going out of their way lately to enable custom content creation and sharing for their properties.

Things just ain't the way they used to be :(

EDIT: Maybe if there's good fan reaction to the game, they'll invest some time in an editor at least for custom levels? I know making fan editing tools is long work, just look how long it's taken Team Meat to do it for SMB.

Last edited:

Gambit84

Oct 17, 2004
I imagine Epic will focus on pushing DLC instead of allowing mods.
They couldnt even do it right when UT3 was released, so why go through the trouble if it doesnt bring in extra money?

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
EA is around so I'm not surprised at all
They hate PCs.

Or that, or some multiplayer limitations about Echo leaderboards.

Last edited:

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
Remember when Epic encouraged you to use an editor and made it a selling point of their games? Good times.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
but this is PCF

Remember also when Epic didn't choose Midway or EA as publishers? Good times.

Jokes aside, did people make custom Borderlands content with the "hacked" editor? (or whatever it was?)

Last edited:

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
Remember also when Epic didn't choose Midway or EA as publishers? Good times.

Jokes aside, did people make custom Borderlands content with the "hacked" editor? (or whatever it was?)

I remember seeing a WIP campaign for Borderlands in the mapping forum like a year ago, but I'm not sure if that ever got off the ground.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
It's by modifying the game's EXE with an HEX editor. Some people over Something Awful have enough experience to actually go trough that process. One of them unlocked the editor for Borderlands.

I want to see the same thing happen with Bulletstorm. And of course, this might certainly not work with Steam versions until someone fixes it.

It all depends if the game is good enough to make people care about hacking it.

****ing stupid when you think someone change a few lines in the HEX code and voila, you have the tool ready for use..

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
So UDK is equivalent to mod support for a game?

Are they insane? They truly have lost it.

For the record, why the modders want an editor for the game is not to have access to all the gorgeous features of UDK, it's to make mods that can be played with your game because your game is fun (supposed to) and they want to make more of it for themselves and for others to enjoy.
Not every single modder ever wants to create a standalone free game (or paying game.) Some just want to make maps to be played, and with UDK that is simply impossible because UDK is not a game (except a very limited form of Unreal Tournament 3.)

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Kanth, I was actually not that serious with EA being behind this. I firmly believe it's something Leaderboards or GFWL related. Or they just want to force people to UDK, which is not really easy to work with (IMO).
But who knows. They may release the editor later, and then we'll see square shaped rooms with 100 enemies inside all placed together haha.

I don't care either way because I'm getting the game on X360 since my PC is a bit too weak.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
A forum post by Epic Games' Community Coordinator confirms that the Unreal Editor will not ship with the PC version of Bulletstorm. In Bulletstorm, we would have had to make modifications to the Unreal Editor to account for the skillshot system. We spent years developing the skillshot system and carefully balancing weapons, and it was a resource matter - make an editor we can ship with the game or keep polishing Bulletstorm for release.

Epic maintains the Unreal Development Kit (UDK) for people who would like to work with our game development toolset. We regularly release free, updated versions that include the latest additions to the engine. UDK *is* Unreal Engine 3 - plus it comes with sample content that can be used to make standalone games. Epic's engine team makes hundreds of improvements to the engine every month and UDK is the best way for developers to keep on top of the latest technology. UDK ships with the gorgeous visual features seen in Bulletstorm - Unreal Lightmass global illumination, light shafts (a.k.a. god beams), dynamic lighting and shadowing, and so much more. In all fairness, Bulletstorm doesn't have a straightforward competitive game mode that lends itself well to simple arena style maps. On the other hand, everyone that wants an editor isn't exactly just looking to work with the toolset - they're interested in creating content for that particular game.

What's your opinion?

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
UDK is a great idea and all, but not everyone wants to try making their own games with it and many just don't have the skill to do it
These guys should know that mapping and game making are whole different beasts

Just look at UT2004 and UT3, especially the ratio of mods to maps*, I'm not going to dig through all the archives and mod/map sites, but I'm betting it's something like 20:1 maps:mods
*Granted not all maps made for either are super-high quality, but many play very well

People don't want to make their own games, they want to make maps for the games they enjoy
Hell, Borderlands isn't your typical shooter, yet there's a handful of good user-made maps for it

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
So UDK is equivalent to mod support for a game?

Are they insane? They truly have lost it.

For the record, why the modders want an editor for the game is not to have access to all the gorgeous features of UDK, it's to make mods that can be played with your game because your game is fun (supposed to) and they want to make more of it for themselves and for others to enjoy.

You're not seeing it yourself? They (Epic, EA, whoever) DON'T want you (the modders) making more of their game.
They DON'T want you (the modders) making additional maps, fixes, improvements for people.

They want to sell you maps and updates as DLC. They want you to buy the sequel and it's sequel's sequel's sequel. They want you to PAY MORE FOR LESS!

Seriously.. Welcome to the year 2000. Where Gaming is not a hobby, but an INDUSTRY.
Where annual sequels, 60$ retail pricing and 15$ 3-map DLC's are the norm.

Last edited:

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
Remember when Epic encouraged you to use an editor and made it a selling point of their games? Good times.

I remember when they reinvented the whole bussiness by releasing the whole udk tool for students for free and giving it by a low price for indie developers.

Previously to that you had to convince a game company to work with them if you wanted a chance. Thanks to them now those are the best times of the world, ever...
Once they have udk...to ship a game editor with every game... i dont mind. With udk i could make my own games, if i want to make maps for a given game, maybe its safer to see if ppl likes the game before making more efforts on extra tool for it.

Obsviously ask for more, more and more, is something one can always do.

Last edited:

[VaLkyR]Anubis

Foregone Destruction
Jan 20, 2008
Gaia
www.youtube.com
Fortunately I'm familiar with the virtue of patience and reason...I'm gonna buy this game, that's for sure. Trailers and teasers are a pure pleasure to me. I don't do that much mapping and modding stuff, I did something in the past, when my school wasn't that stressful, but nowadays, things are changed, that's why I mostly do gaming.

Even when there might be no editor with Bulletstorm itself, perhaps there will be a big update for the UDK, which consists of latest Unreal Engine technologies and also modding stuff for Bulletstorm. I personally keep an eye on it!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You're not seeing it yourself? They (Epic, EA, whoever) DON'T want you (the modders) making more of their game.
They DON'T want you (the modders) making additional maps, fixes, improvements for people.

They want to sell you maps and updates as DLC. They want you to buy the sequel and it's sequel's sequel's sequel. They want you to PAY MORE FOR LESS!
Which is pretty dumb for Epic, since you'd think they know that nobody in the community has ever made "for free" versions of something they've charged for that were at all worth using on any of their games.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
What's your opinion?

lol at the post edit. What's a Kantham if it:

-Doesn't post engrish.
-Doesn't rant every week.

Seriously.. Welcome to the year 2000.
Uh, I think you meant "welcome to the year 2010", 2000-2007 were the best years for PC gaming. Ports and everything else like "This game has mouse and keyboard support" started to show up in game features around 2007. Which is 4 years ago.

Last edited: