Will This Change Your Mind About Bulletstorm PC?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Update: According to this tweet by Adrian Chmielarz, Creative Director at People Can Fly, the requirement listed below is incorrect. Perhaps a goof up by EA? Read the original story below.

Fucking Internets... No, Bulletstorm PC does not require any constant connection, only for install and for online play (duh!).

Original story: Probably not. Destructoid reports that Bulletstorm on PC is pulling an Ubisoft DumbRM and requiring a persistent internet connection for the game.

It seems Electronic Arts is going to "pull an Ubisoft" while "protecting" People Can Fly's ludicrous shooter from common thieves. The news comes from EA's own product disclosure page, where it states, "PERSISTENT INTERNET CONNECTION AND ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY."

Indeed, visiting the linked page (a description of EULAs for upcoming EA games in various SKUs) shows the same information.

It is important to note that it is only listed on "Digital" copies of the game and that retail packaging doesn't show that text at all. At any rate, we've reached out to Epic to try to validate this.

hrm.

Uses DRM that does not work: Check
Uses DRM that just annoys and bugs legit gamers: Check
Game Publishers still think DRM is a good idea and works: Check

Sounds like we got a ****ing winner right here! I was on the border of buying this game, actually I was going to get it, but now I'm not so sure I can support this game and its use of DRM crapass. There are plenty of other games that I can play, both offline and online. I travel and can't always get a internet connection where I stay (sometimes weeks at a time).

Perhaps I'll just wait to get this then, if at all.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Well, was aiming for a retail copy anyway, but I don't envy those buying digital copies. Yes, my PC is pretty much online 24/7, but my ISP still screws up once in a while.

RoadKillGrill

Got Lead?
Dec 11, 2004
rahkogen.net
Wait wut? so they REALLY don't want my money do they.

Also from playing the demo it really seems a mouse for aiming would make this game insanely easy. Most of the skillshots are based on what and where you hit them in the body.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Amazing job EA as always
:\
And this is their second kick of the year in our guts after Dead Space 2.

Last edited:

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
They probably want a persistent online connection for the leaderboard stuff, I guess it tracks SP leaderboards as well as the score-attack and MP modes?

Otherwise this doesn't make much sense. I'm getting it for 360 anyways...

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
A c´mooooooooooooooon duuuuuuuude!!!

No game for me until this thing is removed. (with the last stuff i was seeing from the game i was liking it). ****, console users dont have to stay all the time connected to play, ****, Ubisoft was so pissed about the boikot they received on all his titles so they decided to remove it from ALL his games now and in the future, and this thing attacks again ?!?!?!?! you kiddding me?!?!?!?!

DarkEmperor

Buried By The Dead
Mar 22, 2002
Visit site
it seems they are afraid the game won't sell much on concoles as they expected and they do everything they can to sell it to the PC.

Well, it's not gonna happen arrogant bitches!!!:tup:

Last edited:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Requiring a working internet connection while playing the game is an absolute deal breaker for any product put out by that company while they are using such a scheme. I haven't bought a single Ubisoft game for any platform since they started using that moronic DRM scheme.

Here's a little scheme for publishers on how I buy games:
- No DRM: pre-order
- Product key and/or Unlimited online activation: 1st week purchase
- Limited activation: when it's reduced in price; or when the DRM has been cracked
- Authentication when starting the game (like Steam): when severely reduced in price (around 20 euros works).
- Needing a working connection to authentication server all the time to play the game: no sale at all; nor any other products

Last edited: