Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

togmkn

tog-em-kay-en
Jun 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
3-10 to Yuma: 8/10 I thought it was a decent cowboy flick; it's a genre that has been kinda floundering for a while.
+1. Saw it a while ago, but thought it was a solid movie, and the characters were believable (if I remember it right). Not just a cookie-cutter western.

Duplicity: 7/10. Clever at some points, but sometimes it tries to be a little too "twisty", like they tried too hard to keep you guessing. The story itself is straightforward though, they just cut it up funny. Was fun to watch, for sure.

State of Play: 7/10. Uses a few generic characters, but Russel Crowe's was very good. Focuses more on the characters than the plot, which is good, since the plot is sort of the typical corporate/government conspiracy deal. I really liked the camera work, too.

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Inkheart-7/10

Based on an original and clever fantasy novel this film was quite good, in my opinion.

Initially I thought Brendan Fraser was totally miscast in the lead but the film is so watchable and the story so interesting it really didn't matter.

Andy Serkis is great as the evil baddy.

All in all fun fantasy for all ages.

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
Geez people, you'd think for a bunch of folks that are on a message board based around FPS's, someone else would have seen Gamer! Give it a shot! :D

Funny Games. Great opening sequence, great rest of the movie (with the exception of the actors seeming a little... stiff in the beginning). The nonchalance of the two hostage takers while committing their deeds was the most disturbing about the film. 9/10

Funny Games U.S. What's the point of remaking a movie exactly like the original, that is, using the same shots, the same words, the same style? It's just like the 1997 version, except that it's redundant and the acting is much worse - especially that of the two hostage takers, who were much more sinister and psychotic in the original. Interestingly enough, watching it all again had the effect on me that Haneke originally wanted to criticize: I grew indifferent to the violence and torture shown. 5/10

I made a comment about the remake on page 138, and I generally hated it. How similar is the original? I ask because I can't imagine why anyone would sit through this crap once, let alone twice.

Last edited:

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
It's the same movie, if we're talking about the shots and dialogue. It's another movie entirely if we're talking about the performances and how the viewer is affected. But yes, it's still very slow-paced and yes, there are still extremely long shots showing especially the aftermath of the acts of violence. The difference is that these scenes are truly disturbing in the original.

And...

It's a preppy teenager killer vs. rich white people movie.

It's not. It's a movie criticizing meaningless violence shown in movies and how viewers take up that violence as simple entertainment, never bothering to think what actually is happening to the people shown.

It's not. It's a movie criticizing meaningless violence shown in movies and how viewers take up that violence as simple entertainment, never bothering to think what actually is happening to the people shown.

Maybe in the original, that might have been the intent. And maybe in that version the intent is delivered instead of marginalizing itself. The problem with the American setting (imo, since this is the version that I saw) is that the context of the situation ruins its premise (and that premise has questionable ethics). Anything that was supposed to strike me as social commentary fails on the basis of how artificial the events seem and the fact that the director couldn't slip this past my shallow detector. Maybe the fakeness of the situation was part of what he (Haneke) was trying to do, but all the American version is was an over-long, over-monotonous torture flick without the torture, and it didn't help that the one-note point resolved itself way before the film does.

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Knowing- 6/10

Interesting concept and take on a theme which owes tons to a lot of previous screenplays.

But the screenplay is the problem. In my opinion, in the attempt to try and keep the plot fresh and unpredictable the screenwriter made the film story totally predictable.

The only saving grace was having Proyas direct as the guy has great visual style and does great things with visuals.

It could have been worse; they could have gotten M. Night Shyamalan to direct.......

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
World's Greatest Dad - 7.5/10

Just watch the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PkGTjZccNE

This movie had some of the most genuine LOL moments I have seen, spaced out in between some disturbing moments of auto-erotic asphyxiation.

It's a really really dark comedy that holds absolutely nothing back, and Robin Williams is the man as always.

Only thing I didn't like was how exaggerated the final third of the movie became, but it's a satire and it's kind of done on purpose. But still...

Good movie though, definitely see it!

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
The Informant 8/10

Much funnier than I thought it would be. Very clever and amusing use of voiceover for so many laughs. The ending bogs down, but the rest was pretty sweet.

~Jason

thewalkingman

ssssssssssss bugger!
Nov 12, 2000
Quahog
Visit site
Bedtime Stories 1/10

Adam Sandler destroyed this what could of been a cute Disney movie. The only saving grace was Bugsy.

2nqeao3.jpg

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
9 - 9/10 - Finally a non-cutesy CGI movie with some very poignant themes behind it. The movie's animation is simply stunning and the characters are all very unique and memorable. There's not an air of pretentiousness or preachy attitude in this movie like you would find with "Happy Feet" (save the fishies!). There is a good inspirational message behind this movie and it is kid-friendly although the rating is PG-13 for scenes of war, that really do not get graphic at all. It's a shame Pixar wouldn't come out with something on par with this movie and frankly I'd have to say the animation in this movie rivals if not bests Pixar. I highly recommend seeing this movie, and take your kids if you have any.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs - 8/10

Cute, funny feel good film. Even if you're a Pixar fanboy I would recommend it. The visuals are quite spectacular at times (spaghetti tornado would make Pixar proud), the voice acting is spot on and the whole concept just puts a smile on your face.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Hors de Prix (Priceless)- 8/10

Way better than I thought it would be. The basic setup is that Audrey Tautou is a golddigger who mistakenly thinks that some dude (a bartender at a hotel) is actually some rich dude. By the time she figures out her mistake, he's completely smitten and pursues her. The strength of this movie is that it doesn't take the easy route and have a simple solution. Sure, it has a fairly predictable end, but everything is cleverly shrouded in the CELEBRATION of being a gold digger, which amounts to some good laughs. Also, Audrey Tautou is hot.

~Jason