League of Legends

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Linky

You all know (or should know) of DotA. Well, the people who made DotA All Stars went and made their own game company and went and made their own DotA clone, League of Legends. This would be a "meh" were it not for two things.

1-It's actually really good.

2-It's FREE TO PLAY YOU MOFOs.

Sure there's an in-game store where you spend your real $$, but that's entirely optional. I'm loving the hell out of the game and you should all give it a try.

Any other LoL gamers out thar?

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Funny you should ask

I haven't played it in a while, but it is a quality game for sure. I'm probably way behind the curve but we tend to play it at LAN parties as well.

Search engines don't want me to necro threads apparently. I would never have known about a previous thread had you not linked it.

There's a ton of great guides and info about the game now, and while a lot of the community is filled with jerks, I've been playing with some of the Penny Arcade forumers who've been making lots of in-house games in LoL. Best part was they are all high level (20-30) while I'm only level 9, and with their tips I'm able to pwn at my level. It helps that Annie is the harbinger of fiery death by teddie bear.

BTW the game recently had a major content update and the arrival of a competitive ladder (have to be level 20 to enter though :(). I really like what I'm playing so far! I play under the name Trytann if anyone wants to add me.

EDIT: And there's a trailer now.

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzMnCv_lPxI[/m]

Last edited:

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
cool. I go by SlayerDragon as usual. I was digging some of tank characters like Taric and armadillo dude that I can't remember the name of.

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
Does any of you play in the European servers? cause services can't be mixed, so americans and europeans can't play together, at least not with a decent ping anyways :D

If anyones does the EU servers, I go by the name of my name, you know, Ignotium

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Installed recently, played 3 or so matches. Definitely finding it enjoyable, but since I never played DOTA I'm having a bit of a hard time adjusting to the game.

I'm definitely familiar with micromanagement of units (SC, WC3, etc), but I'm having a pretty hard time assessing if I am winning or losing in this game. I can be pushing forward pretty well, but then run out of health/mana, and have to return to base to heal. When I get back, two of our towers are gone. Damn:p

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
You only have 1 unit to worry about, so it's not really micromanagement. It is a team game, so it is fairly reliant on team composition and strategy. I should fire this up tonight, I haven't in a while.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
You only have 1 unit to worry about, so it's not really micromanagement. It is a team game, so it is fairly reliant on team composition and strategy. I should fire this up tonight, I haven't in a while.

The concepts and skills involved are the same, though. Mouse skills, keeping one unit alive, maximizing its effectiveness, outranging, formations, what target to attack first, etc. What I meant to say was that I didn't feel like I was losing because I was mis-controlling or using the wrong spells/attacks or something. Just that so far, I'm having a hard time feeling the flow of the battle. I could be falling terribly behind in the shopping department yet still feel like I'm doing okay as long as I'm slowly pushing forward.

(Only to be smashed right back into our base when their item advantage kicks in)

Just a matter of playing more, I guess. It doesn't help that most of the strategy guides I've seen focus entire on how and when to use one specific character's abilities and what items to buy, as opposed to how you win the damn game in general:p

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Bump bump bump

I've really gotten into this game recently. If anybody's up for playing (on EU), then hit me up. ID ingame is Rambowjo, I'm level 19.

I can also go on the US region if nobody is up for playing on EU.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I still play on and off, primarily Kayle since I enjoy support while still being able to poke and assist in battles, and she can still carry pretty well if she gets fed a bit (even with a ragequitter on my team!). Got about 400 wins so far between EU and US I think.

And yeah, getting a sense of whether you're winning or losing was one of my biggest challenges when starting out in these type of games. I think one of my earliest DotA epiphanies was to just play defensively while learning when I could commit. There was a lot of rage from players when I stayed out of "safe" fights because I myself was unsure, but it was far better than the alternative where I'd repeatedly die just to "check" if I could win.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Old bat now?

Bzzt

Anyone still playing this? I put this game down for a while and found it quite addicting coming back to it.

I ended up buying the retail version a while back along with the champion bundle to net me 40-something champions. I've been queuing as random just to get a feel for all the champions I have (to the annoyance of my teammates I suppose). Still haven't figured out which one I'll keep playing (although Annie is still my favorite teddie-bear-of-fire mage).

So yeah, now LoL is old I suppose.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I don't see the appeal of Dota games. :( Also, I was gonna say something constructive but I decided not to. :D

(what happened to that " : -) " smiley?)

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2004
I tried the game vs bots for 1 map and i was like "wtf this is all you do? hack away at these things and try not die, run back to get healed and try again?"

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
*hint*
if enough people are interested, there will be a LoL tournament with a prize pool. :)

anyways, the game is quite popular around here, but I've never been interested in it. :/