So, who will stop using Amazon?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
...at least in Florida. Since Amazon is opening up a new facility in Florida soon, they will start charging sales tax on their website. I know, I know, those of you that already pay are playing violins for those of us in Florida right now, but I was wondering how much of an effect this will really have on their prices? Obviously for computer parts and some electronics, newegg is the place, but what about other things? Anyone have some good alternatives to Amazon? Also, I'm not going to stop using Amazon, I was just wondering. Thank you.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
We have a warehouse for amazon and newegg here in NJ so I get charged taxes no matter where I buy it from. It's annoying because with the tax some things end up being the same price or higher now... the dumbest thing is that they add sales tax to downloadable content. WAT

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
summer summit else edge on vacation my spilllllllllllllllllllllllllll pillllssssss huhhh

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I discovered my state requires you to pay a Use Tax when you file your state income tax.
It looked like you had to pay in at least $3 whether or not you bought out-of-state items for in-state use

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I thought you guys loved the idea of more taxes. Oh wait, you meant as long as others are paying more taxes, right, but not you?

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I get why you guys are complaining here, but taking out out on the reseller is not necessarily fair to them. Many states have taken up laws to help keep many brick and mortar, mom and pop shops open in the lackluster economy. And then there is the states' need for more revenues that keep dwindling even though more and more households are using public services and entitlements.

Some vendors decline or refuse to charge the taxes to their customers, but they may end up getting shafted for the tax bills anyway, just at a later date and with interest and penalties. It's a hot mess at this point.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I get why you guys are complaining here, but taking out out on the reseller is not necessarily fair to them. Many states have taken up laws to help keep many brick and mortar, mom and pop shops open in the lackluster economy. And then there is the states' need for more revenues that keep dwindling even though more and more households are using public services and entitlements.

10 internets to anyone that can explain why state or government action can lead to mom and pop shops closing.

Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site

Some vendors decline or refuse to charge the taxes to their customers, but they may end up getting shafted for the tax bills anyway, just at a later date and with interest and penalties. It's a hot mess at this point.

Zur said:
10 internets to anyone that can explain why state or government action can lead to mom and pop shops closing.

Some of you just can't help turning every single thread into some sort of debate, can you?

Jebus!!!

SkaarjMaster simply asked if there were alternatives to help him save having to pay taxes. He didn't ask for a philosophical lecture of the harm in doing so, nor did he ask for a debate on how government keeps the little man down.

I swear, someone start a thread called "I farted corn nuggets" and by page 3 it will be arguing about the rights of gay Mormons to adopt an interracial baby from a family of a different political party.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Isn't the US tax system antiquated, fractured from state to state and isn't tax evasion and fraud extremely easy in the US?

I mean, I'm from Germany, the country with the most complex tax system. Every year Germany publishes more about tax law than all other countries of the world together so I always get to chuckle when you guys complain about evading a sales tax or even your income tax. I am also one of the few people who can produce his own income tax statements :) .

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Amazon only collects tax on items fulfilled by Amazon, not from items shipped from another seller.

In relation to US tax laws, it's unconstitutional for the federal government to tax interstate commerce so all of this is being arranged by the states. From a business standpoint it's speculated Amazon took the initiate to create an internet tax with states to stifle competition of smaller online retailers. The states are "evening the playing field for B&M" by making arrangements with large retailers to force out small business that cannot compete under the new laws.

Last edited: