Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Games

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Whoa! In shocking, last minute news of the day, CliffyB has announced his departure from Epic Games. Cliff was one of the original team that built Unreal and has been involved in virtually every game the company has released in the last 15 years. His contributions to the industry are nearly numberless and the effects he has had on millions of individual gamers will be felt for years to come.

Cliff says that, while he has loved working for Epic, he has been going non-stop for twenty years and is ready for a break. Having met Cliff numerous times and talking to him on several occasions, I can say that there are only a handful of people with the same level of passion he has for the games he is involved in and the industry as a whole. It really is sad to see him go.

That being said, we here at BeyondUnreal wish him all the best in future projects. It sounds like he is getting out of games for now, but I'm sure this won't be the last we hear of CliffyB.

Good luck, Cliff!

Update: Here is the official press release from Epic

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
Weird. I posted a thread in OT because I didn't see any news stuff on the main page. I guess it takes a few minutes for the servers to update?

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
He made Vortex Rikers and Rrajigar Mine
cya Cliff

he really hated that art team at Epic huh? XD

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
His contributions to the industry are nearly numberless and the effects he has had on millions of individual gamers will be felt for years to come.

Being rather uninformed on the subject, but what exactly are his achievements that are so infuental?

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
Being rather uninformed on the subject, but what exactly are his achievements that are so infuental?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_bleszinski

... former design director for the game development company Epic Games. He is most famous for his role in the development of the Unreal franchise, especially 1999's Unreal Tournament, and the Gears of War franchise.

Creative director? Project lead? Don't know, specifically.

Basically, he was massively instrumental in Unreal/the UT series, and spearheaded the Gears series. He's made something of an impact.

Furthermore, I guess, back when this was still the Planet Unreal community, CliffyB had a map reviewing site, where he would only review the best stuff. He was a really well known part of the community for a few years.

QAPete

Chief Muckety Muck
Aug 17, 1999
Pottstown, PA, USA
www.beyondunreal.com
I originally met Cliff back at the UT release party (yes, I'm that old). He immediately impressed me as one of those rare people who has an exceptionally well-developed creative AND technical brain. Most people in this world are only really good at one or the other. Cliff was/is the whole package. He was also friendly, kind, and frankly, just a good guy. I am thankful to have been able to spend some time with him during the "formative" years of his career, and UT.

He was always VERY willing to discuss any detail of UT and subsequent Epic games with me and other representatives from this site. While I didn't always agree with Cliff ("fixing" the scale of players in UT 2003? UT2003 in general?), I can say without hesitation that the Unreal series of games would not have been anywhere as good without Cliff's involvement and leadership, and Gears of War was really his baby.

While we would kid around about him being such a fashion plate or "too cool for school," the fact is that Cliff Bleszinski is one of the most talented people in the gaming industry, then and now, and his talent, dedication and humor will have to be missed at Epic Games. Personally, I have always had an incredible amount of respect for CliffyB, and I want to wish him well in whatever endeavors he takes on in the future.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
My nerdy dreams of CliffyB and Carmack squaring off in a digital storm of gamecreating epicness have just been dashed.

DASHED I say.

Seriously, I had a dream like that last year. Only also with Warren Spector. And John Romero was there too, but only 'cause he could keep his fucking mouth shut.

Last edited:

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
worst news i've heard even, wow, nao the ut is truly dead without the creator of this unreal world...time will tell if the other old ut team still inside epic will leave the ship

good luck Cliff!