New Unreal Tournament Confirmed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hieloco

Jan 22, 2008
San Salvador, El Salvador
The cool thing about the way UT is being redone right now is that maybe both the UT99 group and the UT2004 group could have their way... through specific types for each game mode or through mutators...

I am really happy with these news and I think it is a very good idea... I'll definitely start working on some levels when the main gameplay mechanics are defined!

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
I just had this thought... What if Epic realized they could get an advantage of having a split community? What if it's their plan to have people bickering about player movement/weapon balance so that the game is developed on a slow pace while they milk everyone with the UE4 subscription?

What if Elvis was abducted by space cows?

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Okay, so the community is split on what it wants. It would be split even if Epic was building the game entirely on its own without community involvement, so why be negative nancies about it at this point? Sheesh, and I thought I was a devout pessimist...

The new UT could be the best game ever made and someone will always find something to complain about. It's a flaw in our evolution. Retards have vocal chords and fingers.

Apr 11, 2006
I think it's amazing that anyone is negative about this. Whether Epic decides to remake UT99, UT2004, or another blend between the two, the only thing we know for sure is that by making anything at all they are virtually guaranteeing that everyone who wants either flavor of UT can get what they want.

The differences between UT99 and UT2004 boil down to a couple of blueprints / configurable values. Meanwhile Epic is going to release this game for free and essentially giving every programmer and modder out there an awesome platform available to millions of people to showcase their stuff.

[NBK]Rattman

Goo God
Feb 22, 2005
nbkillas.com
I am hopeful for the return of the best game ever made!!

I like UT and 2k4 and would play whatever version they release as long as the game and servers are as customeizable as they have always been. I am sick of games that let you rent servers but handcuff you into running it like every other server in the browser.

Sep 14, 2008
Not real happy I have to pay $20 a month for a subscription to the editor/engine. That would have cost me a million dollars back in the day with all the mapping i've done. I just want to buy a new UT game with a tool set that the average joe can make content for the game. I don't want to make any profit I just want to keep playing a good game. And have everything free like UT99. That's the whole reason UT99 blew up was the community making free content.

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx;2606858 said:
Not real happy I have to pay $20 a month for a subscription to the editor/engine. That would have cost me a million dollars back in the day with all the mapping i've done. I just want to buy a new UT game with a tool set that the average joe can make content for the game. I don't want to make any profit I just want to keep playing a good game. And have everything free like UT99. That's the whole reason UT99 blew up was the community making free content.

This is the main point I'm concerned about.

By making the game free, I'm pretty sure Epic are counting on UE4 licenses and their cut of market place content sales to make it worth their while.

Since everyone has to pay for access to the tools, I fear the days of being able to download tons of content (maps in particular) are well behind us. I can't see most people shelling out $20 every month then giving their content away for free. Producing maps and mutators would become more about turning a profit than a labour of love as it has been.

I can already picture DM-MyFirstCube listed at $1.99.

Of course there would be exceptions, I suspect the Old Guard may return and release some free stuff, since I suspect they were (are?) highly passionate about what they do - and to some people recognition for their work is more important than financial return.

TraCK

Amateur Sketch
Apr 14, 2005
Kansas City
Hello again everyone! Lets do whatever we can to help make this the best damn DM game ever! Better than all the classics! ARENA DEATHMATCH FOREVER!!!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
This is the main point I'm concerned about.

By making the game free, I'm pretty sure Epic are counting on UE4 licenses and their cut of market place content sales to make it worth their while.

Since everyone has to pay for access to the tools, I fear the days of being able to download tons of content (maps in particular) are well behind us. I can't see most people shelling out $20 every month then giving their content away for free. Producing maps and mutators would become more about turning a profit than a labour of love as it has been.

I can already picture DM-MyFirstCube listed at $1.99.

Of course there would be exceptions, I suspect the Old Guard may return and release some free stuff, since I suspect they were (are?) highly passionate about what they do - and to some people recognition for their work is more important than financial return.
It will be interesting to see, I think. Because of the way UE4 licenses work, you could technically get away with buying the tools once for $20 and then only paying additional times to get whatever updated versions you need.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Surprising, but very early days.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Epic have a lot of make up after UT200x and UT3, not to mention their flat-out appalling community relations in the past.

I want to believe in this. But it's going to take a lot to make me, and many other UT players from the past, come back home.

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
Liking is different than loving. I like UT2kX gameplay a lot, but I don't want them to make anymore games that go that far.

And I want more movement not less :D

They nerfed 2K3 movement for 2K4 & then really crippled it with UT3... the main reason for me that the game wasn't fun anymore [that and the awful UI/Gamespy debacle]

I doubt we'll get proper 2K3 boost dodging back but if it's not at least as good as 2K4s, [boost dodge/slope dodge/shield jumping, etc] my interest will be next to zero.
I'm rather hoping for wall-running, [Titanfall] & rocket jumping, [Q3A] too.

TheSpoonDog

CBP3! Yarrr!
Jun 1, 2001
NZ
spoondog.beyondunreal.com
I can't see most people shelling out $20 every month then giving their content away for free...

...I can already picture DM-MyFirstCube listed at $1.99.

Maybe there's some way they could introduce a system whereby people who release something for free, receive credit for another month of UE4 (long shot I guess). They'd need some kind of "minimum quality".. then again, I wonder if they're going to have an approval process anyway.

There may be some free releases from the old guard (particularly if they did something like above), but to make something truly up to the standard they should be for this gen will take a lot of effort. Seems reasonable for them to charge $1 or something and at least get some kind of reimbursement for the time that could've been spent with their partner or earning a living some other way.

Mar 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC.
I'm with Brizz on this, sadly. I'm not one bit optimistic about the whole thing.. something came to mind about "Too many cooks, something something..."

This game is going to be a soup sandwich. :(

Same feeling here as soon as I knew the community is involved in the development of the game. Plus, the fact that the game will be free when it is released makes me worried even more.

However, it is the only option out there for another UT and if Epic decided to go with this idea then I guess they must have a solid plan for organizing all the work from all the different people.

I can't wait for the sound track :p