How do you hold your mouse?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
So like, how do you hold your mouse? I like to think that I hold it the most efficient way, but who knows.

I have by thumb on the side of the mouse, my index finger on the left mouse button, my middle finger on the scroll wheel, my ring finger on the right mouse button and my pinky finger on the side. This is particularly efficient when playing RTS games, as I can simply move the screen around with my scroll wheel, instead of moving my mouse to the edges of the screen. Also I don't have to move my fingers around all the time.

I use a logitech MX500.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
I hold mine firmly but with abandon!

Ring finger? Is it called the ring finger on the right hand as well? OR are you one of those filthy lefties?
Otherwise your description matches mine, there aren't many other ways to do it unless you have on of those ergonomic odd shaped things.

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Pretty much the same up to the index finger. Middle finger is on the right, and the other two fingers on the side. If I scroll it's with the index finger.

Logitech mx400.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
So you switch your fingers around when you need to use the scroll wheel? Isn't that incredibly annoying?

Shadowdragon, I think it's called ring finger on both hands, who knows. I am left handed, but I use the mouse with my right hand. I'm like half-ambidextrous or something.

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Claw with my Razer, palm with my 518. Same finger positions as mentioned: thumb on side, index on left click, middle finger for scroll and ring finger for right click.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Nah, never felt like a nuisance.

Heh, just tried it with the middle finger and it feels awkward. I could get used to it, though. But the index finger is automatic.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Nah, never felt like a nuisance.

Heh, just tried it with the middle finger and it feels awkward. I could get used to it, though. But the index finger is automatic.

Cool. I did something similar to you once as well, but I switched my setup, due to how my interface in WoW was configured. Since then, I've found it to be a much better way to hold the mouse, especially in RTS games, and some FPS games.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
I find if I use the Left Button: Index, Scroll Wheel: Middle, Right Button: Ring configuration to be cumbersome, and I keep on accidentally clicking the right button.

MX518 here, but applies to any mouse.

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
Pretty much the same up to the index finger. Middle finger is on the right, and the other two fingers on the side. If I scroll it's with the index finger.

This^

Always have done, middle finger never felt right on the scroll.

I blame the human species for not giving it it's own muscle, it's useless and weak! :lol:

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
Thumb - left side of mouse
Ring Finger - Right side of mouse
Index Finger - Left button and Wheel
Bird Finger - Hovering over right mouse button waiting to pounce.
Pinky - Hovering uselessly in space.

All held together by heel of hand resting on desktop.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2004
Bottom of palm on the razer destructar mousepad
Thumb on the left side of the mouse.
Pointy finger on the left click.
Middle finger on the right click.
Ring finger on the right side of the nouse.
Pinkey laying on the mousepad.

I use a razer deathadder mouse.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
My hand-to-mouse action always varies based on sitting location, position, game played and intensity of play.

Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
I'm in the thumb (side buttons), index (fire and wheel), middle finger (secondary fire) camp . I use the other two fingers to hold the far side of the mouse, my palm is above and behind the mouse, and the base of my hand is on the edge of the mousepad.

I can't imagine my ring finger being coordinated enough to do anything useful with the buttons.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I'm in the thumb (side buttons), index (fire and wheel), middle finger (secondary fire) camp . I use the other two fingers to hold the far side of the mouse, my palm is above and behind the mouse, and the base of my hand is on the edge of the mousepad.

I can't imagine my ring finger being coordinated enough to do anything useful with the buttons.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com