UT3 is pretty awful

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Just my feelings regarding this overrated game:

Wow, such an insightful and unique posting for a troll.

There are many former UT2k4 players playing UT3. Almost all the clan players I know played UT2k4. That said, UT2k4 was great for it's time, but that time is over. All the UT games were fantastic. UT3 had issues when it was first released and it took a while to fix, which hurt the UT3 player population. Much of the blame goes to bad video drivers from both ATI and NVidia, incomplete and poor quality beta testing, and then releasing an unfinished game (EPIC).

UT3 is still a great game and still has online activity. Just as with UT2k4, players must deal with the learning curve in order to gain skill and rank. Players must learn and master UT3 movement in order to survive online. I like the movement and weapons in UT3, all better than UT2k4 except for the lightning gun is missing.

One thing is for certain, the more you play UT3 the better you will get at it.

FragTastic

Hitscanned
Nov 10, 2008
Still riding the "Zombie Horse"
Wow, such an insightful and unique posting for a troll.

There are many former UT2k4 players playing UT3. Almost all the clan players I know played UT2k4. That said, UT2k4 was great for it's time, but that time is over. All the UT games were fantastic. UT3 had issues when it was first released and it took a while to fix, which hurt the UT3 player population. Much of the blame goes to bad video drivers from both ATI and NVidia, incomplete and poor quality beta testing, and then releasing an unfinished game (EPIC).

UT3 is still a great game and still has online activity. Just as with UT2k4, players must deal with the learning curve in order to gain skill and rank. Players must learn and master UT3 movement in order to survive online. I like the movement and weapons in UT3, all better than UT2k4 except for the lightning gun is missing.

One thing is for certain, the more you play UT3 the better you will get at it.

Im a former UT2K4 player. I played it again a few days ago..... No thanks.... Ill stick with UT3
Guess that makes me +1 on this :D
[EDIT] However i would like more of a UT look and less of a grungy GOW look in future titles definitely

Last edited:

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Yeah, I do what I can with UT3, even tho it has been a good game, I can admit when things get bleak. I've been a big player of all three and a half UT games (considering that UT2004 is like a "half" game from UT2003), but even tho I do like UT3 the best out of them, I can admit that there would probably be a chance that we'll soon see better.

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
UT3 had issues when it was first released and it took a while to fix,

It was never really 'fixed', see for example the sub-minimalistic bot selection menu and poor mod support. I really tried to like this game, but everything about it just feels off. It's hard to believe it was made by the same people who made UT99 and UT2K4, it's like they totally forgot (or never quite understood) what made those games great.

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
IMO UT3 is better than UT2k3/4 for DMing (which is really what I only care about these days, along with the occasional CTF/Assault match), but UT99 is the king of that. 2k4's ridiculously awful scale made targets look really small in situations that they would have been a decent size in if it were in UT99/UT3.

Unreal4Eva

BioHazard!
May 19, 2009
Speaking of UT3. I have to repatch my game. Which patch is better for hosting a server, is it v2.0 or 2.1? The reason I asked is because I am using patch v2.1 and everytime I click on the "Host Game" option I get a "UT3 has stopped working" error.

Unreal4Eva

BioHazard!
May 19, 2009
It still happens when I click on the "Host Game" option I get a "UT3 has stopped working" error. I do however have custom mods, maps and characters. Is that the reason I keep getting this error?

Unreal4Eva

BioHazard!
May 19, 2009
Sorry for the double-post. This thread is named: "UT3 is pretty awful" but have I got news for the people who think it's awful. I happen to love the game despite all the problems I've had with it. If people thinks this game is awful then they can move on to another game. Like it or not, UT3 is a beautiful with superb graphics which I believe is better than most FPS out there. So, learn to live with it and quit whining like a baby!

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Sorry for the double-post. This thread is named: "UT3 is pretty awful" but have I got news for the people who think it's awful. I happen to love the game despite all the problems I've had with it. If people thinks this game is awful then they can move on to another game. Like it or not, UT3 is a beautiful with superb graphics which I believe is better than most FPS out there. So, learn to live with it and quit whining like a baby!

That's great. Hey, here's an idea! Could we, perhaps, stop bumping this thread, please?

Yes, I know I'm bumping it too, shut up :mad:

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
IMO UT3 is better than UT2k3/4 for DMing (which is really what I only care about these days, along with the occasional CTF/Assault match), but UT99 is the king of that. 2k4's ridiculously awful scale made targets look really small in situations that they would have been a decent size in if it were in UT99/UT3.
UT3 is the technical best for DM/TDM/CTF from a weapons balance stand point. For every other gametype, not so much.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I prefer UT3's DM over the UT1 one. Better weapon balance and a BioRifle which is useful.