Can't see through wire mesh fencing...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kyle Kellahshehskee

[^..^]Kyle
Mar 3, 2004
Metro Detroit, Michigan
I'll be pretty mortified if this isn't a bug. :Poop:

I can't recall the name of this night time map, but it's the one that has the missile silo and the launchable rocket. Whenever I'm on this map, it's nearly impossible to see anyone that's on the other side of the wire mesh fencing. I have to be pretty close to see through the fencing's holes. I'm guessing that at about 5 yards it becomes extremely difficult to see anyone standing on the other side. Since the fence is mostly made up of holes, I can't understand why I can't see who's on the other side at distances of 5 yards or more.

Is this a bug, or a graphics limitation?

Please note, I don't believe that this is an OpenGL bug. I used to have that bug, but it has since been addressed (where the open areas around railings such as on the Siberia map would be rendered completely black, and at all distances).

Thank you!

Kyle

Last edited:

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
If you're seeing black stuff between the wire mesh, thats a bug and can be resolved as Nuke said. If it's not being able to see through the fence from a distance, only a higher resolution will help this, it's a graphics limitation.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
check for the lodbias variable. I set it to -2 or something.... will affect your performance though.

EDIT: bah more explanations...

the LODbias OpenGL variables sets the distance at which mesh are correctly rendered. For example lets take the fences on Blackwater. The mesh grid is pretty small.

If you are within the full LOD (level of detail) zone, it will be fully rendered and you'll see through it. If you move further away, you will see it all grayed out without any details (hence you won't see through). Changing the LODbias will change the distance at which this change takes place. If I remember correctly, 0 is the normal distance. Large values will move this zone closer to the object (you'll have to be closer to have full details). Negative values will move it further away.

Of course, having a negative value will mean you will see full level of details on object further away and very likely on more objects. This explains the probable drop in performances.

Last edited: