Model Problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Theaps

Jan 25, 2000
Visit site
I import a model into Unreal. But When I added it to one of my maps it looks distorded. In the 3d program it looks just fine no problem but in the game its another story. What am I doing wrong.

Thanks

fireweed

Mar 5, 2000
scotland uk
Visit site
i take it you saved your model as a dxf format.i beleive you have to split your model into tris no quads.i had the same problem but after spliting the model into triangles it worked fine

Theaps

Jan 25, 2000
Visit site
Thanks for the info but I don't know if that is my problem. I save the file as a 3ds then I convert it to the UNreal format using the converter. The converter does it just fine. I am making new weapons models for the game. Any help would be great.

Homer

Nov 26, 1999
Hannover, Germany
www.bluestuff.de
Hi!

I'm not sure if this hleps, but here are my 2 cents:

First, in the readme of the 3ds2unr converter it says that you defenitly lose some detail when converting 3ds files.

--------
quote:

Models must be made up of a single 3D Studio object, which lives within the 256x256x256 coordinate space centered on the origin. (Setting the grid extents to –128..128 and turning on the grid is helpful here.) The model itself should be centered on the origin (0,0,0) because of how Unreal specifies the collision cylinders used to determine when objects are touching.

Models will lose some precision when imported. Specifically, X and Y coordinates are truncated to the nearest 1/8th (0.125) unit, and Z coordinates are truncated to the nearest 1/4th (0.25) unit.

One 3DS coordinate equals 6" in Unreal X and Y coordinates, or 12" in Unreal Z coordinates. You generally don’t have to worry about this scaling, as the model can be rescaled when it’s imported into Unreal.

Object polygons shouldn’t intersect. The hardware supported by Unreal gets confused when polygons intersect, resulting in an unpleasant shimmering.
--------

dunno if this is any help for you....
cheers

Da_Mack-aroni

Mar 6, 2000
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
Ahhh....gotta love those legoman stretchers... /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Love that model by the way. It just kills me to see the colorful little toy running around killing people and saying (at least the way I have it set up) "Your *** is grass and I'm the lawnmower!!" Bust up every time.

bullet2.gif

Da_Mack-aroni
Fear the wrath of my noodles!!!