Ripper Gun!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
I

ImagoX

(...waiting for Trooper to take a breath...)

Um... Okay. Never mind. Obviously you're much more interested in letting us all know how injured you are, rather than giving us some actual *points about the ripper* to debate. Here's a novel thought: TELL US WHY YOU DISAGREE, and address specific comments, rather than let that ol' mouth diarhea run on and on (oh, sorry, is "diarhea" to scatalogical a word for you? Do you know what that word means?)

In the words of my nine-year-old daughter... "Whatever..".

That clean enough for you Trooper?

Chryst- I'm sorry if you thought I was disagreeing with your point about countering
a specific weapon with a good tactic. In fact, I totally agree with you, and was trying to say so in my very first post to the thread, where I speak of sneaking up behind someone bathing a room in razors and letting them have a good spinefull of Flak... Hell, I've been the victim of many a person that's killed my Flak-gun toting @$$ with the lowly Pistol- I just got outplayed pure and simple. Do I like this? No. Perhaps I should make a point to outlaw or change the "grossly overpowered pistol...".

I also think it's a great point that EVERY weapon in UT (except perhaps the aforementioned pistol and the hammer) has been labeled at some point as a "lamer" or "whore" weapon (sorry to offend your delicate sensibilities Troop, but it IS what people call them...). I totally agree- if they are so totally unbalanced, then why do I keep dying when trying to use them against superior tactics/skill? I have found UT to be MUCH better balanced then Quake, or any other FPS I've played, with a much more compelling and well-thought-out range of weapons.

Sorry Troop if that was too "educated" a reply for the likes of you- I'm certainly not going to appologize for good communication skills (well, barring my shameful dependency on spell-checkers that is...). I worked hard to get them, and if you don't like it shut off your 'puter and finish Jr. High... I hear they still teach English and Debate there...

-ImagoX

bullet2.gif

"If you ever drop your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go because, man, they're gone."
-Jack Handey

S

[Switch]

I don't really like the ripper, as someone said it generates too many suicides. But sometimes you don't have much of a choice, like on face when you spawn close by it and the enemy is running with your flag in front of your tower.

Or on Niven when someone has your flag in your "tunnel" and you spawn in the base with the ripper (can't remember which color), I pick it up and shot til I'm out, and by then I'm probably dead, have killed the flag carrier or reached the shock rifle.

So sometimes you use what's there wether you like it or not. At least I do.

/Switch

Super(ST)Trooper

Super Like
Mar 3, 2000
Visit site
Clearly you have failed to understand this post ImagoX! The ripper is a spammer plain and simple!

As for bringing your 9 yr old daughter into this post, I see no need in it! I do not use my family as examples which is plain childish on your part grown man!

Now I posted my view on this weapon, because it hold proven fact that it is a spamming weapon! You want a challenge, try telefragging someone now that takes skill /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

The sniper is well balanced out!
The rocket launcher is also balanced out!
The shock rifle also balanced out! I saw no change in its power from the original Unreal..

The mini gun is balanced out!
The redeemer, well lets just say UT could have done with out it period!

The jackhammer gun I guess thats its name is balance out! Again there is an example of a gun that requires skill!

The ripper none balanced out, due to its to fast, uncontrollable especially down narrow coridors!

The flack gun, although many would say its to easy to frag with, I would have to disagree solely on you can dodge it alot better then you can the ripper not to mention the ripper out fires the flack by a long shot!

You see you want to pin me as a angered person, well I am not! You want to through your 2cents in and not listen to what I have to say go ahead I never read your boring posts either! The evidence about that gun is right their in your face, but your wanting to disbelieve that it not a spammer gun is alright by me! But I see it otherwise! Goahead ignore what I have to say I don't really care! I knew that when I posted this topic, that only the one's who really used the spammer gun would have otherwise to say about it! Or just dissagree flat out just to annoy me! I am sure there are alot others out there that agree that it is a big time spammer. Like in TFC Team fortress Classic from half- life you respawn in a chamber everybody does and it don't take much to spam using the hiway guy with thar rapid machine gun and all that armor he can get 10 frags before someone acually manages to take him out! I can hide down a coridor with that ripper and wipe out anything in its path to easy! Just crouch down and let it rip! Pisses alot of people off too! So Disagree all you want the gun is unbalanced and there is nothing you can say or do to make me believe differently!

bullet2.gif

Which one are you? The Quick or the Dead!

Otter

Feb 8, 2000
www.splatts.com
lol you guys make me laugh /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

dont you think any gun can be used for spamming?
rockets/grenades/the shock and the rest
umm except sniper unless your hitting the respawn spots

what is spam anyway? in england its meat lol
nuh its when someone shoots in the same area if theres someone there or not....correct?
Trooper just wanted to state he doesnt like the ripper, well oky we are all not going to agree if we did what a boring world huh /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif i dont like the green sludge gun (wotever its called) and im sure theres weapons that you all don't like or prefer not to use. Its all part of the game, im sure if they feel the need to change a weapon they will, or a mod will be brought out to change how they work (maybe)

well thats my 2 cents

/~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Have a good one

bullet2.gif

If the boss was to catch me, would i still have a job?

BiPolar

Mar 18, 2000
Visit site
Again Trooper, if you think the Ripper is so overpowered, then I challenge you to a 1 vs 1 where you use only the ripper and I use any weapon *except* the ripper. You'll dominate, since it's such an almighty weapon, right? Why do I get the feeling you'll conveniently ignore this post too. LOL! All talk and no show.

A

Alarion-={FU}=-

<rant>
Why does everyone have to get so damn rude with each other (that goes for EVERYONE that is bickering). ST, stop calling people names, it would help alot... and Chryst, and everyone else, just calm down and stop putting people down. I know ST may have said it "first" but come on now...

Anyways, I have to say I hate the Ripper, and find that I cannot get a kill for $#!7 with it except on those lucky occasions. (and yes, even when in a tight corridor) Actually, i think i have more suicides from it than anything. Also, I think the Impact Hammer can be a cheesy weapon, just for the fact that someone can stand right up on a teleporter and kill anyone that comes through. Now do I sit there and cry about it? (except maybe to throw a friendly grumble their way) no, i go and get them back... I play Anti-grav Face alot, so I either grab a redeemer and let it fly, or load up on rockets, get to the top/portal/wherever and let them have it. Spawn snipers are another thing I hate, takes no skill whatsoever, but hey, they put the Sniper Rifle in the game, might as well use it right? SO the minute I get spawn sniped (or it is attempted against me) I make it a point to hunt them down and load them up with with 6 rockets (or just telefrag them...they have their face burried in the scope, and they usually aren't smart enough to look around them)...

My point is, is that there is something in the game that everyone dislikes (well, I am assuming), but they find a way to combat it...that's called strategy (and yes, it does require a hint of intelligence.) and I would like to think ALL of us are capable of that. Heck, in Faces, I get slapped around pretty good sometimes by the same tactic, but I adjust my route/style/etc to combat that. Sometimes it is successfull, sometimes not.. Anyhow, it's just a game, it's meant to have fun, not to start flame wars with other people.

ok, I'm done now /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

</rant>

bullet2.gif

-=Alarion{FU}=-
{FU} Clan - Just for the fun of it! -

Temporary Account

Temporarily Permanent
Jan 25, 2000
cosmicmonstersinc.com
SNOT ROCKET!!! I love the snot rocket(aka the Bio-Sludge rifle). It can be so much fun! Great in CTF games for covering your tracks or trying to get your flag back. Hmm...what was I going to say...oh yeah!

The Shock Rifle. (I'm an old school Unreal 1 player BTW...so don't say I don't know what I'm talking about /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif) I've read in official Epic articles(At least I THINK I did...maybe I'm on crack...shhhhhh /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif) that they DID increase the power of the ASMD(now Shock Rifle) in UT as compared to Unreal. Just to clear that up.

And yes...the Ripper is a weapon capable of spam (btw...I still don't understand people who actually eat that stuff..yuuuuuck). And I agree that "spammers", ie. people who do nothing other than sit there and fire spam into corridors, are lame. But they're also easy to "school" as other people have said. "Spawn campers" are lame too, but "snipers" aren't. Same weapon, different tactics. And the well timed Ripper "spam blast" can be very effective in CTF games.

I feel like Doctor Evil with all these "quotes." Mini-me! Stop humping the "redeemer!" Get a room or something. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

-[CMi]Soul-Crusher
www.cosmicmonstersinc.com

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Hey, ST. I go back to the Unreal days and I would have to agree with your assertion that the Razorjack did take a greater degree of skill to use. It was also underpowered and generally not used. I think for that very reason Epic changed the weapon.

I personally use the Ripper on occasion where as I wouldn't even pick up the Razorjack unless I absolutely had to. It does have great potential for spam, so I do see your point about the rate of fire (don't touch the ROF for the alt-fire weapon!).

Points well taken, everyone.

bullet2.gif

Yes, I know I'm full of $I-IiT - but I'm hal-like dammit!

hal{PuF}

Super(ST)Trooper

Super Like
Mar 3, 2000
Visit site
Very interesting /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif 1v1 with me using just the ripper let it rip or should I say let it spam! To break it down folks I like the ripper gun don't get me wrong, but I also like to see players with skill using the weapons! I played on the map Eternal Caves which I might add I like very much /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif and some girl Brando did nothing but sit on her duff by the shield belt with the ripper and nailing people respawning and running through that tunnel that leads to the shield belt! And if some of you know what I mean, it can get kinda tight through that particular tunnel. Anyways she did that all through the match just sitting there although she might have thought she was contributing to her team, I think she had other intentions of raising her stats. She did very poorly on 1on1 confrontations I noticed that right away, but when it come down to the ripper and her nice little cubby hole she flat out had people croaking right and left. So I saw no skill in that other then she was spamming her little ass off. I like the slugde gun Gotta have that goo /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif but that gun can be avoided easier then the ripper! Thats not the only map you can take advantage of,but who am I to raise an issue without reason /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif if it was slowed down some, it still could be used as an effective weapon only it would take real skill to use it! I'm not here to put people down nor tell you how you should run your games although it might sound like it sometime and if so I apoligize. I just brought this issue up because I felt it needed to be, even if it never gets resolved I feel better getting it off my chest so I can go on with life! So please excuse my misunderstandings about your replies. I will not bring it up anymore..

bullet2.gif

Thor's Hammer

Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
I personally don't like the ripper either. Of course, my reasons are different than ST's. I can't kill a dead person with that *&%*& gun and most of the time I end up hurting myself with it! Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents. BYE!

bullet2.gif

"Nobody sees the Wizard! Not nobody, not no how!"

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
There you go, ST! You got right to a specific point rather than an inflammatory generalization.

I have to agree with you wholeheartedly on that last post, ST. EternalCaves is Ripper Spam Heaven and there is nothing that pi sses me off more than someone joining a CTF game with the sole intention of padding their stats!

Attention CTF'ers!

Killing everyone is not neccesarily beneficial to your team!! You are causing enemies to respawn in their own base (probably next to the flag) while your team is trying to infiltrate it!

bullet2.gif

Yes, I know I'm full of $I-IiT - but I'm hal-like dammit!

hal{PuF}

[This message has been edited by hal (edited 04-06-2000).]

StrangeFish

Feb 22, 2000
Manchester, CT, 06040
Visit site
So what if it is a spam weapon? I find it generally is one of the weaker weapons around, and spamming is not usually all that effective. It's only in a few situations that it is very useful. I look at the ability to spam a room without actually exposing yourself as the one thing that actually keeps the ripper from being worthless. The ability to spam is well balanced with ammo depletion, the slow shot speed, the easy suicide, and the fact that most people are sitting ducks while they're spamming.

bullet2.gif

Looks like a fish. Moves like a fish. Steers like a cow.

Super(ST)Trooper

Super Like
Mar 3, 2000
Visit site
There we go /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif Thats one of my big complaints there! But then again hehe I see more of the teamates running for the flag then defending the base! But thats another topic of discussion, and I will leave it at that! But your right it does cause more hurt to team play then you would think /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif You try grabbing the flag on that map, and some ripper is sending the enemy right back to you! It can send alot with all that spamming going on. Thats why I rarely hear the words base is uncovered due to respawning enemies..I say use strategy keep them busy draw them away from their base then grab the flag. Anyways I will leave it at what Hal said, and try to avoid the ripper on that map..

bullet2.gif

Slayer[FOR]

Feb 28, 2000
Madison
Visit site
I generally don't like the ripper, and I do miss the alt fire of the old razor jack. /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

One map I get to play is a map called Deathfan...it is a spammers paradise. But nothing is better then coming in from a different way or right thru is spamming to give him a rocket cocktail!! /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

"What do you mean I have to be politically correct? I just shot him!!"

UpYours

Nov 24, 1999
katy, tx
Visit site
WTF is a "spam weapon"?
Dude....if you're gettin wasted by the rippper maybe you better go practice come more with the bots...no offense intended.
Also...there is alot of skill involved in how to use it. You dont just shoot it down the hallways.. .I mean you can..but there are better ways and certain situations in which it can be effective well as certain angles to be used when shooting it. If you get killed by your own blades then you are not shooting smart. Simple. You NEVER shoot them straight at a wall when in close to an adjacent wall and in long hallways you get the fuk outta the way after you shoot.
I heard the same thing said about the ASMD in Unreal..."ASMD Junkies"....but the fact was it took much practice to get really good with it. Much.
I also heard the same thing about the 8Ball...8ballers have no skills...blah, blah,. blah.
And now the lpb's are unfair when they use the mini in UT...
All of the above are incorrect.
Each weapon has a time an place to be used effectively...those really great players instinctively know when to change to a particular weapon in a given environment and geography. I'm not one of them...but I have eyes.
Btw..I played Unreal for a long time...and the razorjack was basically a last resort go to weapon....the ripper is better and can be used as an offensive weapon in certain situations.
Practice in a bot game....using the cheat codes...all ammo, etc. Use the "God" mode.
And use only the ripper....and get used to shooting angles that will give you the "head shots".....dont use anything but the ripper.
Then you too can "spam" with effect..lol :]

Thor's Hammer

Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
A couple of sidebars:

What does "Btw" mean? Please pardon my ignorance. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

What exactly was the alt-fire for the razorjack? I never used it much and it just seemed to me that the weapon turned sideways and fired slower when you used alt-fire. I'm not sure what the effect was.

On the original issue: A good point was brought up about CTF games where people just start fraggin like crazy. That can really hurt the team. Nothing bites like grabbing the flag and then having every member of the opposing team respawn in your immediate vicinity.

bullet2.gif

"Nobody sees the Wizard! Not nobody, not no how!"

A

Alarion-={FU}=-

Have had that happen plenty of times. Most people don't know HOW to play CTF, other than they have to get the flag and return it for the team to score...it's quite sad, and peeves me off at times when teammates are all over the map instead of where the need to be.. but anyhow,

BTW = By The Way

bullet2.gif

-=Alarion{FU}=-
{FU} Clan - Just for the fun of it! -

Otter

Feb 8, 2000
www.splatts.com
Thor's Hammer

btw = by the way /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

cant help you with the other question but do agree on your last point

CTF is about stratagy not fragging everyone
shame when joining onto a server some players dont realise it. The whole point is team work, tho hard when u dont know your team, i guess thats where clans come in /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

If the boss was to catch me, would i still have a job?

Watchdog

Nov 29, 1999
windsor, ontaio, canada
Visit site
people who spam never get many kills because they are just what you call them ST, no skill. They are really ineffective players, I don't give them much thought. the ripper i think is pretty bad--i never use it unless i have to. On a related note, in teh original unreal, what difference did it make with the alt fire--it just turned sideways, but I never could figure out what it did.

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
Alt fire...
(try moving the mouse) The disc moves in the direction you move, hard to control though.

Alright, we might as well say just about ALL of the weapons in one person or anothers mind, are all spam weapons.
What makes any weapon (in general) a spam weapon? How someone uses it? I figure if it gets the job done I'll use it any way I can.
Whoever developed the weapons for retail UT said (basicly) "Here's what you got to work with. Use them or don't play."
I've heard more complaints about insta gib than compliments on ones skilz. Insta gib (using as an expl) requires skill and intelligence more than just running around shooting rockets at everyones feet. To most likely action of someone getting gibbed by an enhanced shock rifle is to whine about the mod. Being a great UT player requires you to be adept in all the aspects of the game.
The ripper is clearly one of ST's weak points.
ST is cleary not a great UT player as he so subliminally yet delightfully displayed in this topic.

bullet2.gif

No thanks... I've already had my *** handed to me today.