Unreal 95 / 97 Alpha Research

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
I totally give a damn. I never thought that skin would look good on another model. The neck looks kind of weird, but I thought the original model had that problem as well. Great job!

Leo, I was wondering about that text file you included somewhere that had "RES EXPORT". I couldn't figure out how to use it, but is that what you used to export the Dragon's model? If it is, do you know if that could work with other Unreal engine games?

Turboman

deRegistered user
May 4, 2002
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Visit site
I totally give a damn. I never thought that skin would look good on another model. The neck looks kind of weird, but I thought the original model had that problem as well. Great job!

Hmm, good that you noticed the contrast difference, it could probably be because i did alter the colors of the skin by about 50% :p (all the original alpha skins are unbelievably PALE, needed more contrast/exposure!)
ill upload later tonight, not at my pc atm.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
The RES EXPORT is same as OBJ EXPORT/IMPORT command, I found it out by accident, it wasn't in instructions, it was when i was hex editing the files and stuff.

The use is RES EXPORT TYPE= NAME= FILE= I believe. There's also RES SAVE as well and other stuff I found. But none of it could export the models without crashing as the function for mesh export is not really implemented there. So the only way to export the real models without having it in U97 unreal format file, is to reverse engineer stuff and the umodel guy refused to help, even though he has the knowledge to do it.

Btw Turbo, If you can export the skins so easily after applying them on model, could you also redo the skaarj's skin? Master Unreal attempted it, but he can't export the uvv maps after applying it on model so he was doing it trial and error and couldn't skew the mouth either.

Turboman

deRegistered user
May 4, 2002
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Visit site
decided to upload the female skin
http://www.multiupload.com/HASUIAGJHQ
sorry for being so late, had some RL stuff to deal with this week, atleast i fixed the issue AlCapowned mentioned (but there are still lots of visible seams, its impossible to get it right in a short timeframe lol).

I forgot to add a readme doh!, so basically install the .utx in unreal/textures and the .int in unreal/system, then its a matter of choosing the player skin ingame. It was not tested with anything else then u227, sorry about that.

as for the skaarj skins, i took a look at them and as i was worried about their UVW layout is completely different then the final one, its definitely going to take alot of work correctly applying those, and i'm afraid i don't have the necessary time for that in the near future.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
It's pretty good considering it is different model, the eye looked a bit odd to me, but it's a really good skin. Master Unreal remade the Tentacle skin pretty well, although there has been issues with the other skins (Brute, Skaarj and Krall).

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
All Unreal 95 Tech Demo stuff extracted.

U95EXPORTS.rar

With help of Gizzy who told me that maps could be loaded with command in U95 tech demo, with -editor. But it goes further than that, export commands worked as well, so here it is, all of it.

The textures have some errors though, these white spots which could be easily corrected.

Also the T3D is kinda incompatible, but maybe by editing it a little to the Unreal format you could get 1 on 1 exact map conversions from the tech demo.

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
It was really the guy on BetaArchive that told me about the commands to view maps in the '95 editor. Since the textures are stored per level (Along with the actors like the light, playerstart etc), it leads me to believe that the Dragon and such are NOT in this alpha. Epic did the same with the 97 Tech Demo and removed almost all content before it got leaked >:E

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
You're wrong, the actor classes are there in this. This was different only textures were stored in the level but not the classes, unlike the 97 tech demo. I did add dragon and other actors through editor actually. It doesn't have the model though just the spritem but I couldn't add made up classes, it added last actor instead, like you see I tried to add JWIZARD but in the actual game it added just light, but with WIZARD, it added the actual thing.

CONSOLE: MODE ADDACTOR
TRANS: Begin trans Poly Click
TRANS: End transaction
TRANS: Begin trans Add Actor
ED: Added actor successfully
CONSOLE: ACTOR SET ADDCLASS=JWIZARD
CONSOLE: ACTOR SET ADDCLASS=WIZARD
CONSOLE: ACTOR SET ADDCLASS=DRAGON
BUG: SphereCollision: Mistake
CONSOLE: ACTOR SET ADDCLASS=MONSTER
CONSOLE: ACTOR SET ADDCLASS=GARGOYLE
CONSOLE: ACTOR SET ADDCLASS=WOMAN
CONSOLE: ACTOR SET ADDCLASS=FIREBALL
CONSOLE: ACTOR SET ADDCLASS=REDDRAGON
CONSOLE: MAP SAVE NAME=MAP FILE=..\MAPS\NEWMAP.unr
CONSOLE: mode CAMERAMOVE

Quick rework of John's map, I know the skybox is terrible:

John95.rar

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Btw just a headsup, I did those conversions of John mostly as a template someone to improve upon etc. there is one difference though, this:

[SCREENSHOT]http://www.unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/rare/comparejohn.png[/SCREENSHOT]

There are additional subtracted brushes whichhad the marble texture, in beta it didn't show becasue of different order, i removed the brush to reveal how it looked like, but that's up to someone whether one likes how it looks now or how it used to.

I am now working on a complete retexture of John though, for my Unreal PSX project, I will add it as one of worlds in E1L3B where you need to search for something.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
jrox2.rar

I forgot one texture from Eric.unr, my apologies. Here it is.

EDIT:
Eric95.rar

Eric's palace map converted.

Note that I added two subtracted brushes around too, because in 95 version they had completely additive geometry, the added brushes were visible from void which is what this sky was, a void. To make subtractive geometry they had to make additive brush surrounding it first. This is comopleteley opposite in the later versions of unreal engine, until unreal engine 3 where they left the additive/subtractive as choice.

Last edited:

Master_Unreal

Dec 1, 2010
The remaining 3 alpha maps have been converted

http://www.multiupload.com/S6DF0LKR7R

CLIFF.UNR - Fully explorable
NEWMAP.UNR - Half way explorable, some tunnels are too small
JAMES.UNR - Mostly explorable, one tunnel is small but theres not much to see anyway

These maps have been left unchanged for the sake of having the original copy in unreal, later these maps will be modified to fit UE1 standards

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
The remaining 3 alpha maps have been converted

http://www.multiupload.com/S6DF0LKR7R

CLIFF.UNR - Fully explorable
NEWMAP.UNR - Half way explorable, some tunnels are too small
JAMES.UNR - Mostly explorable, one tunnel is small but theres not much to see anyway

These maps have been left unchanged for the sake of having the original copy in unreal, later these maps will be modified to fit UE1 standards

U95Maps.zip
Added mirror too. Sorry, should have posted that earlier...

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH

A foreword

Some time ago, Leo (T.C.K.) contacted a level designer whose name I am not in the liberty to tell you. This level designer worked on a cancelled Unreal Engine game, X-COM Alliance. At first he was reluctant to supply us the materials from that game, but after several messages of mine relayed by Leo (I did not have direct contact with this gentleman at that moment) and Leo's own art of persuasion, the LD changed his mind and supplied us the entire materials. The X-COM fans will probably rejoice as Alliance needs no introduction to them, but the impact this has on Unreal community could not be foreseen in any way.

The thing is, Alliance was conceptualized somewhere around 1995 and was in development since. Much to my shock, this development, as we were told by the LD in question, was done simultaneously with Unreal. Yes, they had access to Unreal pre-release materials, however due to them being cautious, they removed all assets they didn't need...

Or so they thought.

In some of the utilities' archives we found models from the earliest of Unreal development! Much to our surprise, the elusive lady from Unreal 95, the dragon, the gargoyle and many more creatures have surfaced. Albeit most are lacking their skins, based on the screenshots and materials from the recently leaked Unreal 97 Monster Preview these skins can be remade. Thing is: models don't have to be! There is a minotaur, a skaarj Eel referenced in the Unreal design document (UnBible)... There's so much more....

[screenshot]http://images41.fotosik.pl/1213/e5795c68fbf37ced.jpg[/screenshot]

As you can see from the screenshot above, there were several creatures that we didn't know of... until now. There is a golem -- we know that for sure. There is an alpha-era Male (!!). There is a two-armed (still) wizard/monk character that predates the December 1995 tech demo by a couple months. A texture from the tech demo is included on the picture above, but already in December this wizard featured 4 arms, as seen on the fresco. So, somewhere during these couple months, the concept of Nali was born.

But we have more fantasy creatures. A pegasus for example...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.