What Are The Differences?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

staale2

Mar 7, 2009
Hi.

I wonder what the differences are between:

Unreal Editor 2 Runtime Demo
Unreal Editor 2 Runtime Registered
The included Editor that comes with Unreal Tournament and Gears Of War
The Licensed version

All i know is that with the runtime demo you can't publish or sell your games, but with the registered version you can. The one with the games above you are allowd to publish your mods and even make total conversions, but not sell.
And the licensed version you are allowed to do everything the others don't.

But what i don't know is the different features of each one? Or are they all the same?

Thanks for the help.

staale2

Mar 7, 2009
The UE2 Runtime is not for games in any way.
Thank you for telling me. So what are the runtime for? It would be nice if you could tell me the difference between the 4 as this was my qestion, not if the runtime is suitable for games or not :eek:

But i have got my qestion answered on another post :)

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Gears of Wars uses UE3, so if you are asking what the difference is between UE2 runtime, and UE3 GOW, well.. quite a whole lot. It is an entirely different engine.

Unless you want to do something very specific with the runtime, you are likely better off to just mod UT3.

staale2

Mar 7, 2009
Gears of Wars uses UE3, so if you are asking what the difference is between UE2 runtime, and UE3 GOW, well.. quite a whole lot. It is an entirely different engine.

Unless you want to do something very specific with the runtime, you are likely better off to just mod UT3.
No if you read my post proparly you will see what i am asking. GOSH... :eek: :eek: :eek:

staale2

Mar 7, 2009
GOSH, I am so sorry I was trying to be helpful..

And you did actually ask that what I replied to. I suggest you read your own post again.
I am sorry if that was rude, but i diden't get any answer from just "The UE2 Runtime is not for games in any way." by the first poster...

I thank you for your replay, but again read my post as i do not only ask whats the difference between UE2 and 3, but all 4 versions in terms of legal rights, what you can do and not do, the features etc... For example does the licensed version of UT3 has more functionality than the one shipped with Gears of War, or are they the same?

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Unreal Editor 2 Runtime Demo
Evaluation purposes for projects that are not games based, such as an architectural project or Unreal Engine learning tool kit. I believe these products cannot be sold in the end.

Unreal Editor 2 Runtime Registered
Same as above but the registered version would allow redistibution and selling I believe.

The included Editor that comes with Unreal Tournament and Gears Of War
Unreal Tournament is a branh from Unreal Engine 3 that differs from Gears of War. The editors come with slightly different code paths and game play relevant objects, otherwise there isn't much difference since they both originate from the same engine.

Hourences was being help ful, but just clarify exactly what you mean by difference as there are quite a few.

staale2

Mar 7, 2009
[SAS]Solid Snake;2265398 said:
Evaluation purposes for projects that are not games based, such as an architectural project or Unreal Engine learning tool kit. I believe these products cannot be sold in the end.

Same as above but the registered version would allow redistibution and selling I believe.

Unreal Tournament is a branh from Unreal Engine 3 that differs from Gears of War. The editors come with slightly different code paths and game play relevant objects, otherwise there isn't much difference since they both originate from the same engine.

Hourences was being help ful, but just clarify exactly what you mean by difference as there are quite a few.
Thank you for explaining this for me. And i guess that the licensed version is also pretty much the same, only stripped down like the runtime 2?

Yes i should have clearified what i ment by differences, lets just go with the features and content.

Last edited:

staale2

Mar 7, 2009
It would help to know who the hell you are. If you're just some random mapper, then why are we even talking about the runtime or the licensed version of the full engine?
Well maiby one day need the licensed version, so it is nice to know this stuff before hand. For know i am just modding with UT2/3.

And why the hell do you need to know who i am, it's just a qestion about the difference that everyone could ask...?

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
Well maiby one day need the licensed version, so it is nice to know this stuff before hand. For know i am just modding with UT2/3.

And why the hell do you need to know who i am, it's just a qestion about the difference that everyone could ask...?

Are you really sure you have enough good attitude to talk to people/publishers giving you the money for a license? Ok, maybe you have the money yourself for a full game powered by UE. But I doubt it.

staale2

Mar 7, 2009
Are you really sure you have enough good attitude to talk to people/publishers giving you the money for a license? Ok, maybe you have the money yourself for a full game powered by UE. But I doubt it.
When people are rude to me i respond the same way back.

Quote "It would help to know who the hell you are" Unquote.

What kind of a qestion is that? Maiby in the us it is ok, but here it is very rude. I can't believe that almost every original qestion turns into something completly different. You can't ask a simple qestion anymore before an argument starts, or somone posts a stupid comment.

Last edited:

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
That's all I needed to know. Anything your little pea-brain can come up with can be done with the tools that come with the game, so get the runtime and the licensed engine out of your head. They're claustrophobic.

staale2

Mar 7, 2009
That's all I needed to know. Anything your little pea-brain can come up with can be done with the tools that come with the game, so get the runtime and the licensed engine out of your head. They're claustrophobic.
That's cool, but the licensed version does include C++ header files and the full source code. I believe you are limited to come extend without it?

Please correct me if i'm wrong? Let's say i want to go in and change the multiplayer to a completly new system, can i do it?

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Even if you have the money, you're unlikely to purchase UE2. Not because of skill or whatever else, but because Epic still choose who they sell their engine too. Key points are:

• * You have to be a registered game studio + business in your state / country. Selling to random individuals doesn't happen typically.
    * You have to provide a good portfolio.
    * You have to have some financial backing.
    * Unreal Engine 2 isn't really being sold these days because the source code isn't updated for Unreal Engine 2 specifically, nor is the support team going to support both engines.
    * Unreal Engine 3 is rmoured to be upwards of 700k to about 900k USD. Are you really sure you have that kind of money?
    * Be known politically within the games industry.

Last edited:

staale2

Mar 7, 2009
[SAS]Solid Snake;2268864 said:
Even if you have the money, you're unlikely to purchase UE2. Not because of skill or whatever else, but because Epic still choose who they sell their engine too. Key points are:

• * You have to be a registered game studio + business in your state / country. Selling to random individuals doesn't happen typically.
    * You have to provide a good portfolio.
    * You have to have some financial backing.
    * Unreal Engine 2 isn't really being sold these days because the source code isn't updated for Unreal Engine 2 specifically, nor is the support team going to support both engines.
    * Unreal Engine 3 is rmoured to be upwards of 700k to about 900k USD. Are you really sure you have that kind of money?
    * Be known politically within the games industry.
Hey thanks, your pointers holes true. No i don't have that money. Where did i say i was going to buy it, stop jumping to conclusions please. I may sometime in the future who knows whats going to happend.

Again, i was just curious about the diffrences.