Not too bad at 2k4, suck at 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Kittehs!?@!?

stupidcatps3.jpg

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
Let's just put it this way John, I can definitely tell that I'm facing advanced-godly players on the server I play on. Nothing but good players play on Kittys.

That's not quite true... though I will admit that I have noticed the level of the players there has gone up substantially lately. That might just be me getting worse though... I don't really play anything but Audiosurf anymore tbh, so wheh I try UT it's depressing.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
What's the full name of this Kitten server?

Or the ip? I only play in pugs or scrims, but if it means finding an active server, then I can give it a try.

haslo

Moar Pie!
Jan 21, 2008
Bern CH
www.haslo.ch
UAdditionally, the shock and sniper feel off and inaccurate even offline, so when you add 60 ping to the mix using them is hardly worth the effort.

You did switch bCenteredWeaponFire to True in [UTGame.UTPlayerController] in UTGame.ini, right? Just making sure :)

For additional stuff, there's a tweaks thread on the Epic forums.

Lethargy

Feb 24, 2006
What's the full name of this Kitten server?

Or the ip? I only play in pugs or scrims, but if it means finding an active server, then I can give it a try.

It's a 2k4 server for the record, and you probably wouldn't find it adequately challenging, though there are occasionally some pretty decent players on there. It's called "Kitty's Fraghouse".

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
So that was you I saw furby D: I was Matrix-

JD, it's the last 2k4 UTComp FFA only server left in the USA. IP for those of you who still play alittle ut2004: 66.55.131.7

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
It's a 2k4 server for the record, and you probably wouldn't find it adequately challenging, though there are occasionally some pretty decent players on there. It's called "Kitty's Fraghouse".
Ah, gotcha. Just recently I finished deleting every trace of 2k4 from my drivers section on my D drive.

Come back to UT3. :(

Lethargy

Feb 24, 2006
Ah, gotcha. Just recently I finished deleting every trace of 2k4 from my drivers section on my D drive.

Come back to UT3. :(

I've tried but I've always been a pub player, and UT3 just doesn't have the number of players to sustain that :(

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
I've tried but I've always been a pub player, and UT3 just doesn't have the number of players to sustain that :(

Well give it a month and maybe the servers will have filled enough for your return. I believe it will fill slowly, the same way 2k4 did when ppl upgraded.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I find it a lot harder to use trace weapons in UT3 than in UT2004 - mostly because of the aiming - I just can't seem to get the crosshair where I want it, when I want it. For that reason I tend to use splash weapons instead. I've also found that even when I'm cocksure I'm going to hit a target (e.g with a sniper) online, I often miss. I'm wondering if this is down to the small effects of latency on traces with the game speed this high, or whether online players are just generally harder to hit.

Either way, I find playing UT3 online a lot more difficult than UT2004.

Maybe this is a case of unskilled and unaware?

The idea is that most people think of themselves as above-average in things they like to do even though that's obviously not possible. :)

Where does this place Farts of Goat :lol:?

TheNihilist

Mar 2, 2008
I'm certainly not above average so I don't think it's "unskilled and unaware." I'd say competent. I manage around a 1:1 k:d and I've actually been managing that in UT3 now. This is DM (not TDM) on pubs.

It probably has a lot to do with movement capabilities, like what T2A said. I've found I feel much more comfortable with the higher double jumps and the dodge jumping so I feel a bit neutered in UT3. That's probably a large part of it.

Last edited:

Hedge-o-Matic

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
The idea is that most people think of themselves as above-average in things they like to do even though that's obviously not possible. :)

It may well work out that way, though in practice, since I notice that my own skill level goes up when playing better players, and tends to relax when not in as tight a match, so I also tend to hover around the center of the pack in UT3.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
That's just the map scale keeping people a lot closer to you than the alternative. UT2004's scale is broken and dumb and thus allows people to keep away from one another. In a proper map UT2004 is just as fast, and semi-old-school FragBU DM matches Ironic showed that quite well. Although, the amount of time spent in the air probably factors in as well. More time on the ground means more time to zig and zag rather than float and fly. Seems faster; probably isn't.

You know you could get your point across without constantly bashing
UT2004. I get it you didn't like UT2004. A lot of us do, so please be kind. =D
I feel the same about UT3 so I can relate.