Active & dynamic "Ranking/Level" System

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
Absolutely. If we look at the onslaught demo servers right now, they are full of really experienced players; spidermines seveywhere, and it's difficult to get anything done. (Why on earth Epic thought it wise to add Primeval to their demo version escapes me entirely. It has no room for manouvre, and no room for novices to enjoy the game. It's dodge the spider - manta whore splat, everywhere - but that's a side issue)

So it is really down to the game developers to set up and encourage the setting up of novice only servers -and set up a system where players can't set up multiple new identities to bypass the system.

Kronon

Oldtimer
Apr 26, 2005
If the user could choose to hide his stat from others, then I don't see the problem for users who don't like stats (just don't look at them). Remember that a stat system like described in my previous post is made primarily to enable new players a better gaming experience, even if it will also slightly enhance the gaming experience for us hardcore gamers.

Onslaught and hopefully Conquest makes it a little easier for new players, since in these gametypes even new players can contribute a little. But for a gametype like TDM, a new player will only hurt the team he is playing for if the others are more skilled, and I can't see how he would like to play under these circumstances.

I guess the Atari servers will disappear (or atleast not be for Envy), but if rating filters where implemented then maybe Epic/Midway could provide with some servers for new players.

It will also provide goals to new players. Maybe they hear about a server, or see it in the browser, where lots of skilled players play, and wants to try it. But for them to be able to join, they have to improve their rating, which will give them a little goal to look forward to.

/Kronon