Pariah Multiplayer Demo... Today!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FBMachine

Crack Head
Nov 2, 2002
Visit site
Random bits of info I picked up while playing that might help some -
The health bars work like in Riddick. They recharge automatically unless the entire bar is drained, in which case you need to use the heal tool to get the drained bars back.
To use the secondary function of the plasma gun after you upgrade it ( the plasma ball ), just hold down the fire button til you hear a charging noise. It'll use a bit of ammo, but really I didn't have any problems with running out of ammo in the CTF map, ammo hording doesn't really seem to be a big part of this game.
To upgrade a weapon, open the weapon menu by hitting X, then click on one of your weapons. To upgrade the first level of a gun you need just 1 weapon upgrade core, for the second upgrade you need 2, and so on.
You pick up weapon upgrade cores from dead bodies, they look pink-ish tan.
Hit F to go into sprint mode. It lowers your weapon and the screen blurs, and your running speed is increased.

Daniel

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
Hmm, the graphics feels like 1 year old, and the gameplay is kindof sluggish... though I like the weapons and their animations :). Nothing for me, however.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Sir_Brizz said:
that might be in the bottom right. But I think now. I think it's more like Halo health than UT.

As always you are dead on ... from IGN:

"Speaking of medical tools, I should point out that the player doesn't regain health by running over a health pack. You'll pick up randomly dropped cartridges that you inject with the tool. It works out fairly well. Your health is four white bars, and you'll partially regenerate Halo-style. Ammunition still works mostly in the same method--enemies drop guns, and you'll find ammo packs that will re-stock all your weapons. It's geared more toward action than survival, so there will be plenty of it to go around"

Mad Max RW

Road Warrior
Nov 13, 2003
www.duckandcover.net
OK, I managed to fix almost all the problems by reinstalling and messing with my Powerstrip settings. Some games don't like Powerstrip and this is one of them.

The mouse is still way too sensitive, very "floaty". It really does feel like another botched console port rather than a true PC first person shooter.

There's simply not enough info on screen. I like numbers telling me exactly how much health and ammo I have, not vague graphics and symbols.

Last edited:

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
iddQd said:
Hmm, the graphics feels like 1 year old, and the gameplay is kindof sluggish... though I like the weapons and their animations :). Nothing for me, however.

That's because the graphics are old really ... remember this is basically UT2003 with some stuff from UT2K4 and some bumpmapping ... but for weapons really. I'm kind of surprised by the reactions considering this is old news. But okay ... I think we are all a little spoiled these days ... I mean the graphics are still superb .. especially compared against to many other games ....

True the engine is starting to show its age a wee tiny bit but overall Epic's graphics still rule the industry ... yes HL2 and Doom 3 are more impressive but those are NEW engines. Just wait until you get your first U3 powered game and plus UC2 (which is really great looking ... and everyone says so. :) ) :cool:

overkill63

fear,anger,stress,doobies =twinkies
Apr 14, 2005
well it dam sure dosent play like ut 2004. not that its a bad game but it definitly needs some tweaking.the game seems rather unresponsive and a little jerky,and im using a midrange system on a 3mb cable connection.i lowerd the graphics and still the same thing.hopefully the game designers will iron these bugs out before it ships in the meantime ut 2004 still takes the crown for online shooters in my humble opinion.

Gnome

The Gnome that knows
Feb 23, 2003
Indianapolis
wormhole.tauniverse.com
Just played a little bit of FLA, it seemed interesting. I like the vehicle(s? I only saw one, but that's probably just a map thing), but mouse steering is teh suck. Need to see if there's an option to disable that. Auto aim on by default sucks as well... However, the game doesn't seem *too* bad for the most part. I agree that the jumping could be quicker. Haven't messed with weapon upgrades yet. I'll have to hop back on in a bit and mess around some more :)

Oh, I do love the quick load times though! That's one of the main reasons I don't play UT2004 much online... usually by the time I get loaded the match is already halfway over. Pariah loads up very fast, even with all the settings on very high.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Mad Max RW said:
The mouse is still way too sensitive, very "floaty". It really does feel like another botched console port rather than a true PC first person shooter.
I agree with this totally. The mouse sensitivity has like +100 sensitivity. 2.00 in Pariah feels more like 15.0 in UT2k4. I had to set mine to 1.25 to get it about right.

The other thing that irks me on the controls is that the Joystick is ENABLED by default. I have a cordless runplepad that it tried to use, and since it was powered down I just kept spinning right until I removed the JoyX controls from the controls menu and set the JoyDead Zone from 4000-1000 in the Advanced Preferences. That needs to be fixed on the PC version. Mouse+KB is the way it should be intended to be played.
There's simply not enough info on screen. I like numbers telling me exactly how much health and ammo I have, not vague graphics and symbols.
This could be fixed, I wish they would...but the health bars are actually part of the gameplay. See someone's post above. Your health auto regens each segment of your health. You have to use the injector to get back additional segments. I actually like the way this works even though it dumbs it down just a little. They could use a number along with the bars to help you have a better POV on your health situation. A more exact idea is better, IMO, HOWEVER I don't think that it detracts from the gameplay really. In UT having an idea of the level your health is at is better than knowing the number because you die all the time anyways.

Also remember that Pariah really only has to be better than Halo for it to succeed. From what I'm seeing this is better than Halo.

captainrad

admiral spock!
Feb 15, 2004
i cant belive how dissapointed i am.. ign was right it is very consolized.. argh why cant it be cooler than it is! i need to play it a bit more but its definetly not very cool.. theres no doubt though it is better than halo.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Can't find a server pinging under 150 for FLA (there were only six when I looked).

First impressions...
- TDM: Can't dodge, so this is just bunnyhop match with vehicles.
- Can't pick up other weapons. Don't like it.
- Default field of view is really low. I had to type 'fov 90' in the console just to get things to look right (must have missed that option in the settings).
- FLA: Bastardized Onslaught. The one match I played was not very fun at all. Might have been due to the ping, but I doubt it.
- Kept getting crazy sound bugs where sounds would repeat indefinitely like footsteps when I wasn't walking, double footsteps when I was, the sniper rifle zoom playing over and over even after I'd unzoomed and switched weapons, etc.
- Vehicle aren't steered by the keyboard, thus making them harder to use if you're used to Onslaught. This also means you can't shoot where you're not driving towards.
- Ragdolls look extremely screwed up. I got blown up by a rocket and turned until my head was pointing down, then stopped turning, and fell straight to the ground head-first.
- Haven't tried out CTF yet. Hopefully it's cooler.

Can't say I like this at the moment. Hopefully the single player will be a lot better. :hmm:

overkill63

fear,anger,stress,doobies =twinkies
Apr 14, 2005
Gnome said:
Just played a little bit of FLA, it seemed interesting. I like the vehicle(s? I only saw one, but that's probably just a map thing), but mouse steering is teh suck. Need to see if there's an option to disable that. Auto aim on by default sucks as well... However, the game doesn't seem *too* bad for the most part. I agree that the jumping could be quicker. Haven't messed with weapon upgrades yet. I'll have to hop back on in a bit and mess around some more :)

Oh, I do love the quick load times though! That's one of the main reasons I don't play UT2004 much online... usually by the time I get loaded the match is already halfway over. Pariah loads up very fast, even with all the settings on very high.

hey gnome i dont know if this will help you any but go into your settings and look for preload player skins and make sure this is UNCHECKED that will speed up your loading times quite a bit

captainrad

admiral spock!
Feb 15, 2004
well i guess over the passed couple of minutes i change my mind.. its pretty fun if your computer cant run it a the best framerates just lower details and stuff and it becomes alot more fun. i hate the hud it horrible i dont like not seeing what weapons im switching too, you have to hold x or something its dumb.. its fun though still could be alot better ill just be happy to see this game eat halo.

Mad Max RW

Road Warrior
Nov 13, 2003
www.duckandcover.net
Vehicle steering is way too damn frustrating with the mouse. Forget about going backwards or turning around without getting stuck on something. Aiming is next to impossible.

After about 2 hours I've come to the conclusion Pariah is NOT a PC game. They never intended it for the PC. And we should all realize we just lost another developer to the Xbox. Stick with UT2004. Don't waste your time.

Anuban

Apr 4, 2005
Well I guess I have good luck today because I didn't have any issues. I like the game ... and I actually had fun online (and I never play online)... I am buying it for sure ... hopefully the bot behavior is not any worse than UT. Anyway I even got some kills. That was fun although I don't like Mouse steering all that much ... but it didn't look bad at all. Of course this is just imho. :)

Edit: Though this looks like it will be better than HaloPC/CE it can't touch UT2K4 imo. So the winner is still Epic and the UT lineup. :D The ragdoll deaths are kind of weak ... I hate that I can't dodge at all or jump faster .. still it is a better than the average shooter.

Last edited:

Gnome

The Gnome that knows
Feb 23, 2003
Indianapolis
wormhole.tauniverse.com
overkill63 said:
hey gnome i dont know if this will help you any but go into your settings and look for preload player skins and make sure this is UNCHECKED that will speed up your loading times quite a bit

Thanks, but it's already off. UT2004 just takes an assload of time to load...

mackey

Cometh the apocalypse.
Aug 27, 2004
England
www.fpscentral.com
Turns2Ashes said:
Can't find a server pinging under 150 for FLA (there were only six when I looked).

First impressions...
- TDM: Can't dodge, so this is just bunnyhop match with vehicles.
- Can't pick up other weapons. Don't like it.
- Default field of view is really low. I had to type 'fov 90' in the console just to get things to look right (must have missed that option in the settings).
- FLA: Bastardized Onslaught. The one match I played was not very fun at all. Might have been due to the ping, but I doubt it.
- Kept getting crazy sound bugs where sounds would repeat indefinitely like footsteps when I wasn't walking, double footsteps when I was, the sniper rifle zoom playing over and over even after I'd unzoomed and switched weapons, etc.
- Vehicle aren't steered by the keyboard, thus making them harder to use if you're used to Onslaught. This also means you can't shoot where you're not driving towards.
- Ragdolls look extremely screwed up. I got blown up by a rocket and turned until my head was pointing down, then stopped turning, and fell straight to the ground head-first.
- Haven't tried out CTF yet. Hopefully it's cooler.

Can't say I like this at the moment. Hopefully the single player will be a lot better. :hmm:

I have to agree with all of that. I am pretty dissapointed atm, this game looked very cool in the videos.

It is growning on me a little, after I turned off the in-game music (ewww), mouse sensitivity down to 2.5 (after I intially turned it up to 4 thinking it's be too insensitive!). Still feels "wierd" I keep saying to my m8s on irc.

Mison

Nov 14, 2003
mmm it's not that great - I've just cancelled my order from play.com on the back of this demo.

For me UT2k4 is still the best FPS and there's a lot of life left in it yet. Guess I'll have to wait til next year for UE3 games then!

captainrad

admiral spock!
Feb 15, 2004
Mad Max RW said:
Vehicle steering is way too damn frustrating with the mouse. Forget about going backwards or turning around without getting stuck on something. Aiming is next to impossible.

After about 2 hours I've come to the conclusion Pariah is NOT a PC game. They never intended it for the PC. And we should all realize we just lost another developer to the Xbox. Stick with UT2004. Don't waste your time.
actually thats the sad thing.. it was originally made for pc as far as i know but they pretty quicky decided it to be for xbox aswell....

my overall opinion is that this game should not come out this may but when they finish the game.. it seems like they are rushing it or something to many problems.. still minorly fun though.