The behaviour of some clans is killing UT!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

soyrico

Apr 2, 2000
Visit site
Hi,

I'm nine posts ahead of snowdog. ;)

Y5, consider changing the post count to be based on total word count.

Thanks

Jim
bodkins@Prologic.com

[MUTTS] Das

Mar 13, 2000
I think I'm the overall word-count winner...at least used to be......oooohhh, those sunny days. :)

There is another answer: start or join a newbie clan. Clan [muTTs] started out as a newbie clan, and some might argue it still is. :) :) :) And it wasn't exactly young either: most of us are mid-20s to 30s. It was simply an attempt to play regularly with a few people that could rely on each other.

There wasn't ever any discrimination against us for being newbies. In fact, at the start, I think we enjoyed great praise because we had a positive attitude....even if we didn't have as much skill.

This might have been said already, but CTF is inherently a team game. Success often relies not only on skill levels, but the ability to organize a group of people toward a common goal. Clearly, when you play with others with some regularity, you can develop that skill. Not fragging skills...people skills.

I played a server the other night and had some players exclaim, "DAS, YOU ARE AWESOME." It was a great feeling. But what made them say that? Because I led the team in frags? No, I get smacked all the time. It was because I had my keypad bound to say: CARRIER GOING HIGH, CARRIER GOING LOW, ENEMY INCOMING HIGH, AMP IS AVAILABLE, etc... I was talking it up and letting everyone know what they needed to so they could play a good game, as a team, themselves. Mostly a group of newbies, but they came back from a 4-flag deficit to nearly tie much better players (though the lost) 4-5.

A long time ago I proposed having a newbie or HPB-only server for many of the reasons being discussed. But it's more important, I think now, to really show that you're a team player and to play regularly with some groups....clan or no-clan....and the fragging skills will come. You have to take a bit of a hit at first, but they'll develop quickly. If you show earnestness at developing a team attitude and thinking as a team member, people will be happy to play with you and
will feel better about their own game.

Just my 2c. As for the llamas...well, as was said earlier....there are a$$holes in clans, and a$$holes that aren't. The "better" players might gravitate toward being on teams, since they play regularly, but it's attitude that should determine how fun it is to play....not the number of frags someone gets. Whether or not someone is a jerk is usually independent of whether or not they're in a clan.

In fact, I think there's more pressure *not* to be an a$$ when you're in a clan, because your actions reflect on a whole group, and the community labels clans as "good" or "bad" pretty quickly...your reputation when you're in a clan (and that of the group) always precedes you.....

Scott
[muTTs] Das
TextureUniverse

soyrico

Apr 2, 2000
Visit site
Hi,

Clans are basically out for me. Work, being in and out of town, having a connection that is filled with net-snott and no possibility for the next three years of anything better. Plus, and don't get mad, all of the attitudes and Carmackism that go with clans just don't interest me. Teams do, Clans don't. (Things like "scarry" nicks (Oooo), skulls and lava, testosterone attitudes etc. Don't apply to all clans though. Is it Cosmic (or Comic) Monsters ;), maybe the smileys etc).

Join a bowling league, you get a shirt with your name above the pocket and the name of the sponsor on the back. That's it. The rest is just bowling. ;) (I hate bowling).

Join most clans and you get an "image", "persona" or "rep". haha ;) sorry guys. When I see some of these scarry names I wonder if they're living vicariously in a fantasy. I guess if it's fun for them, then it's ok. Sorry.

{SATAN}DullSpoonCastrator ..... God. (AKA Billy)

Thanks

Jim
bodkins@prologic.com

[MUTTS] Das

Mar 13, 2000
Hey...Divided Sky...you just hit "666" on your post count....SCARY!

As far as clan names go...I think most of it is for a laugh. For me, it's a team experience.

You know, you have to be careful....everyone here speaks out against stereotyping....treating people or viewing them a certain way because they are "newbies," "HPBs," "LPBs," or "llamas," and the same thing goes for clan members.

There's no *ONE* motive for wanting to be in a clan. For me, it was never about being a "joiner" ... it's about working together with people toward a common goal and having fun in the process. It's not about intimidating people....it's about mutually improving. I've always played alot of strategy games....chess, Stratego, team sports, etc..., and being part of a clan is just an extension of making friends as you come up with strategies and tactics to succeed toward a common goal of capturing a flag. It's a chess game, and the clan members are the pieces....while being thoughtful, cool, down-to-earth human beings besides.

Just because some people act like llamas with a clan tag on shouldn't (as is obvious) suddenly typify the entire clan experience.

Scott
[muTTs] Das
Texture Universe

Temporary Account

Temporarily Permanent
Jan 25, 2000
cosmicmonstersinc.com
LOL...some people take these clan names too seriously. Honestly, there's a reason behind some of the scary sounding names in CMi, and the CMi name itself. Like I said before, we were originally a group of real life friends. The clan name was chosen for a White Zombie song. We just wanted a theme, liked WZ's music, and thought, what the hell. All our names were originally chosen from White/Rob Zombie songs and lyrics. Personally, my name still cracks me up...it's so egotistical sounding, and I'm so not(at least..I try not to be..?) If I hadn't been playing with S-C for so long, I'd go back to being Sasquatch, a name that much more suits me...I'm tall, hairy, and don't like my picture taken ;)

ComicMonsters...that's a riot :D

Maybe I could change my name to [CMi]Soul-Crumpler-but-it-could-still-be-ironed-out ;)

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
One thing you guys have to realise

There may not be as many Newbies in these forums because the game has been out for a YEAR! ;) Most of the people that were going to buy this game have already done so. Sure there might be a few stragglers coming in now that are just buying UT but most of us have been playing since it came out, or at least for some months. I do agree, though, once the console version hits and is internet ready we will see more newbies. Frankly I'm not worried about it. I think I'm pretty good at this game but I don't have such a leetest attitude that I won't help out newbies. ;)

Y

Yellow5

Originally posted by bodkins

Y5, consider changing the post count to be based on total word count.

:) Should I just add a 1 or 2 in front of the post count number you already have?

soyrico

Apr 2, 2000
Visit site
Y5 said:

Should I just add a 1 or 2 in front of the post count number you already have?

Not if it's a Wank 1 or 2. That would give a new meaning to PU ! ;)

Thanks

Jim
bodkins@prologic.com

Well, time for my 2p

It's been really interesting to read this topic. I've been pleasantly surprised to see that some people have the same outlook on UT as I developed a while back.

I've always been a casual player. I've got zilch inclination to join a clan because, above anything else, I depsise team games of all varieties (always the loner). Also, I know I won't have the time to practice so I'd be letting everyone else down (wait a minute - I say I hate teamwork, then I decide to NOT get involved for the good of the team - err :)). The few times I do play online, it's always DM and I actually make a point of NOT joining any games where any player has a clan tag - no matter whose it is - because, as bodkins has said, chances are it just won't be any fun for me. Once I'm in I'll stay even if a Clanger joins, but that's the general rule I go by.

My take on the console version of UT is that, assuming the console players can play against PC owners - and I don't know if that's true or not - then it will hopefully generate lots of casual players that people like me can have some fun against.

soyrico

Apr 2, 2000
Visit site
Hi,

I just hope I don't see a lot of {PS2KILLAS} console clans. I bet there will be. Oh well. I can deal with that. I hadn't thought of more casual players. Hmmm. This might be good. Not that I am against playing on occasion with "some" of the "nicer" clan members. As individuals, in clans or not, they ARE fun to play with. And I look forward to it.

I know what you mean about being leary of servers with lots of clan members on it. Hang around here or #planetunreal and I bet you will find "individuals" that you will have fun playing with. Even if some of them are in clans. Not all are by the way.

I have noticed that when playing "some" clan members that I dont know and who dont know me, there is a tendency to "show the colors". That is, they try to be the biggest baddest muthas they can for the sake of the clans "rep". They have been "clanned" after all. ;) (Not in all cases guys). That gets tired. If I know the person, they tend not to behave like that. I behave better as well.

Hanging around here might help get to know people. For example, I now know that when playing Yellow5 I should be complimentary on his monkey. ;) Handsome animal. (Hairy poop throwing fanged banana hole). Gentle and loving creature. (Christ that thing scares me Wanky). One day I would love to see the monkey in person. (Me and animal control). ;) ;) ;)

And now the obligatory disclaimer. This post is not intended to reflect negatively on all clans or clan members. But you knew that. Except for maybe LoL,C,DsV oh and of course MuTTS and AoC. God how could I forget CMi. Oh and the biggest "clan" of all PuF. ;) ;) ;)

But more casual players sounds intersting. Hmmm.

Thanks

Jim
bodkins@prologic.com

Well, as far as hanging round and getting to know people, I've actually been round for quite a while now, I just took to lurking a while back (witness my registration date and fearsome post count ;)). I know there's a stack load of good people here, it's just they all tend to prefer that flag-chasing thingummy over any other.

That said, I have started playing Strike Force quite a bit lately, so maybe I could become a (ack) team player.

But still no CTF ;)

And DEFINITELY no Face.

Mana

Aloha!
Sep 28, 2000
www.clansfx.com
Boy, does this thread hit home.

When I was involved in a former clan, I think we spent more time preparing for the planned matches (i.e. getting the teams together, finding suitable servers, etc.) than we did actually playing the game. In this process, inpatience can breed frustration, and hence, a lot of bad attitudes and ill will may eventually find its way into the match. And of course, every person has their own way of venting and some do it more appropriately than others.

But what I've been finding more and more lately is that there are so many players that take this game way too seriously. Especially on the pubs. It's gotten to the point that I don't even want to play there anymore, cause you're damned if you do good, and damned if you don't. In fact, this morning, I tried a pub server for the first time in weeks. Although a couple of us on our "team" had an equal number of frags as the winning team, we got smoked in captures. Not once did they try to switch or balance the teams. When the game finished, the top two finishers, who were clanners, had the nerve to say, "Man I can't believe how bad the red team sucks!" Obviously, they performed better as a team than we did, but this is exactly the kind of BS that seems to become more prevalent nowadays. And I for one play with taunts off, and saw no one taunting them. But that didn't stop them from going at it.

The sad part is that these particular clanners have teammates whom I've played before and had a good time with. So although I don't fault the entire clan, there's nothing like one bad egg to bring down the credibility of a whole clan, especially when it can leave a salty taste in the mouths of newbies who may mistake and stereotype this type of attitude as part of clan life in general.

As someone stated before, as we start our new clan, we will be looking at attitude, maturity and a love for playing rather than skill. Skills can be taught if one is willing to learn....attitude generally can't.

soyrico

Apr 2, 2000
Visit site
Hey Mana,

Isn't it funny that some of the better players can write a "crazytrain" translocator bind but can't for the life of them figure out how to change teams? Players have said to me that they just stay on the team that UT puts them on. Anyone even passingly familiar with UT knows this doesnt work. Only the players in the game really understand how to skill balance a match.

What does this mean. I'm not sure. Maybe that these players really don't care about the teams. After all they arent playing in a match with their clan mates. If that's true, they must only care about themselves. That raises a question? Why are they playing a team game?

I once suggested that the players in a match at the beginning of the match take a minute (out of a twenty minute match) to decide if the teams needed adjusting. People generally thought that was a stupid idea.

I change teams frequently. I doesn't help. In fact, recently I joined a match in progress on the winning team (blow out). I immedeatly switched to the losing team leaving my old team a man down. I was accused by my old team of doing something terrible and they whined about balance the rest of the match. They won by a large margin BTW.

There are also people that have publicly stated that they engage in newbie hunts. Not just individuals mind you but groups of talented players hunting newbies. It would seem more productive and decent to as a group descend on a "newbie" server with the intent of training and helping them. Hmmmm. No wonder "most" people that purchased UT no longer play it. At least that is my personal experience.

Thanks

Jim
bodkins@prologic.com

Mana

Aloha!
Sep 28, 2000
www.clansfx.com
Agreed, Jim. (Boy, suddenly I sound like Mr. Spock)!

To quote one of my fav bands, "People are People." And because UT is a virtual game, people can hide behind that virtual shield, unlike a real-life game like football. Like you, Kokensu and many others here, you want to help less-experienced players when you can. It just makes for better competition, and perhaps in the long run, a better game.

But on a more positive note, I cannot help but admire the kinds of players who:
- Toss you a powerful weapon when they see you have none;
- Leave some ammo and health for you;
- Toss the flag back to you when you've been killed just as you're about to cap (not that it really matters to me);
- Switch teams when there is an imbalance, even if it means you are playing against your clan mates;
- Have a sense of humor when they kick butt, or when their butt is getting kicked, etc. etc.

True sportsmanship in my book.

soyrico

Apr 2, 2000
Visit site
Hi,

Everyone should read Mana's post above. (Of course, if you are reading this, you have). Never mind ;)

Thanks

Jim
bodkins@prologic.com

(Let's see, did my post count go up?)