UT2kX DM-Sateca-SE

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

stfx

Dec 10, 2013
I was contracted by Cluex.org to improve and fix DM-Sateca by Samuel 'SamRo' Korn for them to use in competitive and paid tournaments. After one month, 200 hours of build time done solely by me and uncountable hours of play testing done by the top UT2004 players DM-Sateca-SE was finished.

Cluex even hosted a Sateca-only "Captain of Sateca" cup just before the final release. I tried to keep the quality as high as possible during the whole process and improved all aspects of the map so that both competitive and casual players can enjoy it. However skilled players can truly do incredible stuff on this map.

I would like to thank ShX, the owner of Cluex, as well as skAven, the one and only Mr. Captain of Sateca, for their extensive feedback and test sessions. We iterated over many ideas to improve gameplay which was a lot of fun. A shout out goes to all beta testers and cup attendees as well. Cheers guys, this would not have been possible without you! Released with kind permission from Samuel 'SamRo' Korn.

DM-Sateca-SE_Shot1.jpg

The Sateca Research Vessel on the ground of the ocean should have been destroyed to hide away all clues of a telefrag incident down here. Liandri's experts somehow managed to infiltrate the team that was sent down to place the bombs and rescue this facility for the Tournament.

DM-Sateca-SE_Shot2.jpg

DM-Sateca-SE_Shot3.jpg

DM-Sateca-SE_Shot4.jpg

DM-Sateca-SE_Shot5.jpg

DM-Sateca-SE_Shot6.jpg

DM-Sateca-SE_Shot7.jpg

DM-Sateca-SE_Shot8.jpg

DM-Sateca-SE_Shot9.jpg

DM-Sateca-SE_Shot10.jpg

Changelog:

Changes of DM-Sateca-SE done by Dominique 'stfx' Grieshofer:

Changed position of vials and health packs
Replaced one Minigun ammo pickup with a Link Gun ammo pickup near elevator to Shield
Removed one Lighting Gun ammo pickup near Super Shield
Added one Assault Rifle ammo near Link Gun
Added third entrance to Super Shield
Added fourth possible way to Shield
Added some more jump possibilities by modifying geometry and collisions
Added new lift static meshes which now supports moving Goo of the Bio Rifle too
Added more player spawns and moved some
Added triggered sounds on water puddles and the dodge ramp
Added metal surface sound for stairs and ramps
Added water entry splash sounds
Added zone naming
Added new emitters and improved/fixed old ones
Added fixed ambient sounds
Added environmental sound effect support (EAX)
Improved, fixed and redid lots of collisions (players no longer get stuck on some collisions, walljumps now everywhere possible, per pixel weapon fire collision, players now collide with static meshes)
Improved lighting, made it better illuminated and brighter, changed the colors and highlighted the shield areas
Improved visual distinctions to help not get lost
Improved visibility due to tweaked zone fog
Improved usability of teleporters by moving one, changing them into big portals and implementing own teleporter code
Improved performance
Improved and fixed lighting coronas
Improved and fixed bot pathing (smoother and faster, support for jumps and dodge jumps, being able to reach both shields and also the health packs in the water)
Improved position of static meshes and moved/removed/replaced some obstructing ones
Improved height of some ceilings
Improved shield base visuals
Improved visual clutter on low world detail settings
Improved and replaced a few textures/shaders
Improved amount of texture references
Fixed player velocity, rotation pitch, FPS drops and implemented relative destination position on using the teleporters by writing a custom teleporter actor
Fixed static mesh lighting issues by fixing the normals on the static meshes
Fixed misplaced/missing visuals and BSP which also resulted in an incorrect zone
Fixed alignment of many actors
Fixed culling of some static meshes and emitters
Fixed lift collision, wait time and sound
Fixed some texture compressions
Fixed texture alignments
Fixed skybox in shark area
Fixed blurry preview screens when using low world detail settings
Fixed reflection map showing a different map
Fixed countless other issues
Lots of other small changes
Not a single shark was harmed during the creation of this map

Incorporated changes from DM-Sateca-CE2 by Calum:

Fixed FPS drops
Lowered the level of water near Super Shield area
Fixed lift sounds
Fixed spawns

Incorporated changes from DM-Sateca-CE1 by mRd:

Removed ambient sounds
Added sounds to the lifts
Replaced KEG with Super Shield

Please make sure to check it out. I am sure that everyone will find something interesting in it. Complex gameplay for competitive players, awesome bot AI and neat visuals for casuals, nice mapping tricks for fellow mappers, kickass layout for designers and many other things.

Have fun:)

Download
Google Drive (zip): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9P7KyCg177NMVNENEFLR2g5Wjg/edit?usp=sharing
Google Drive (7z): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9P7KyCg177Na3B6STlEWHBoTk0/edit?usp=sharing
Dropbox (zip): https://db.tt/K2Xl6w4l
UTzone (7z): http://www.utzone.de/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=4249
UnrealNorth (zip): http://unrealnorth.com/download/files/Unreal_Tournament_2004/Maps/DM-Sateca-SE.zip

Redirect
http://uz2.ut-files.com/viewer.php?search=DM-Sateca-SE&do3=Search

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Wow! Looks great and I'll try it as soon as I can. I just finished cycling through UT3/UT2004/UT map reviews and the cycle begins anew. Right now I have about 12-15 UT3 map and map pack reviews to do, then I'll start UT2004 maps again.:)

EDIT: Oops, went on to UT maps yesterday and almost missed this one. Will come back very briefly to UT2004 maps and get to it ASAP today and post.:)

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Nice! Love the style, lighting and layout. Good stuff and thanks for your work!

stfx

Dec 10, 2013
Thanks guys!

conX5 has just uploaded Cluex's "Captain of Sateca" cup which he masterfully commentated on. This also serves as a really nice guide on how to play Sateca-SE as he mentiones possible tactics and advantages/disadvantages of various playstyles due to the map layout. Some players who already tested the map during the earlier betas (Sateca-SE Beta 7 was used for the cup) also show really neat jumps and other cool stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLePYjAnpNfvRqBZ9xc8DOVBcaZR2MZ4a6

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b24wRai4k0E&list=PLePYjAnpNfvRqBZ9xc8DOVBcaZR2MZ4a6[/M]

If you enjoyed his commentary please make sure to follow him on twitch.tv/conx5. It really helps him.

Cheers

stfx

Dec 10, 2013
I just had to update Sateca-SE to version 2.1 because there was a serious issue with the teleporters who would stop working for the rest of the match in funky situations. I replaced all linked files so make sure to download it again if you had already.

It says 2.1 in the readme and in the description a "telefrag incident" is mentioned instead of a "telefrag accident" just so that you can easily identify which version you have.

Sorry for your inconvenience.

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
+ The map has really fluid gameplay I found. I particularly like the narrow paths and how the design lends itself to trick jumps and all that kind of thing. Layout's excellent as is item placement. Love the attention to detail too. A very good competitive map I'd say... And then some ;)

- The area with water, I'd personally have left out, as for me it's out of place and detracts a little from the flow of the map. Texturing is a little dark too imo but it's no biggie. Looks UT3ish(?)

All in all, it looks great, plays even better and is well worth checking out. Thanks stfx & SamRo so much for another great level to add to any 2k4 roster :D

Last edited:

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Really fun map. Glad to see something new come out for 2k4. The flow is really nice. I was worried that it was going to be cramped, but it felt just right. Good job.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
like this one for sure!

I liked the first version and like this one also and it still has excellent AVA in a decent setting; I still like the underwater powerup bit and this one still could definitely use custom music in this different theme (although the stock music choice still fits); I also like the custom pickup stations (with lightning), underwater scene with bubbles, dripping water with pools, water in general, darkness with green shades and moving blue lights on ceiling. The gameplay is still good with good layout, flow and connectivity as well as item placement. The bots are still decent (and seem slightly better) and there is a good default player load in this fun map. As far as the “new” things I noticed and am too lazy to go back to old version to check;), I liked the fans, bubble tubes, steam and fixed lift sounds. “Not a single shark was harmed…”, but where are they? Bring them back!:) Oh, and the KEG too! Other changes that I liked were making the teleporter more obvious, ambient sounds put back, FPS drops fixed (esp. at beginning of match while spectating), and the visibility improved and lighting made better without affecting the atmosphere of the original hardly at all. Yes, the darker atmosphere of the original was maybe slightly better, but I understand the changes for SE play and I’m keeping both versions also.:)

Another link: http://unrealnorth.com/download/files/Unreal_Tournament_2004/Maps/DM-Sateca-SE.zip