UT3 Respawner Mutators

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
This mutator enables respawners in all team gametypes, that is, after you reach the goal score (and would normally win), you need to kill your opposition (as they have no respawners left, they can't respawn).
This is my first mutator in UT3 (and the first with my own coded GameRules), but it works well. I haven't tested it online yet, so if there are any bugs, let me know. Here's the official form:

Name: Respawner Mutators
Version: Beta 2.0
Compatibility: UT3, probably any patch
Description: Respawner Mutator is a mutator for UT3 that makes gametypes closer to the story of the UT3 campaign. In UT3 single player it was explained that flags are actually Field Lattice Generators that power enemy respawners. When you capture all FLaGs, respawners should shut down and you should be able to finish off the opposition. But the game by default ends when all flags are captured.
This mutator makes the game last longer than it normally takes to win. After you score enough to win normally, enemy respawners turn off (resulting in an announcement) and all enemies can no longer respawn. Win the game by killing them all.
While in the "elimination round", the team with no respawners still have a chance of winning by continuing to capture enemy flags and turning the enemy respawners off as well.
On non-CTF matches you also need to finish off the opposition after you reach the needed score. In Team Deathmatch it's similar to CTF, you just need to kill every enemy once more, but in Warfare you get an extra "overtime" round in which you need to eliminate all the players before the timer runs out.
Comments: Not tested online, but might work. When enabled in non-team games, like Deathmatch, the mutator is not active and just does nothing.
Credits: Thanks to Xyx, Angel_Mapper and CaptainSnarf for scripting tips; RoninMastaFX for the readme.
Download: http://greatemerald.xmpcommunity.co...s/68-respawner-mutators-capture-the-flag.html or http://www.mediafire.com/?fchjos0szpyjgtx

The full official readme follows:

============================================================
|**|Readme of Respawner Mutator for Unreal Tournament 3 |**|
============================================================

*NOTE: For best results while viewing this readme, "Word Wrap" MUST be enabled!*

-------------------
GENERAL INFORMATION
-------------------

Authors: GreatEmerald
Finish Date: None yet!
Release Date: 2009 04 29
Last Update: 2010 07 16
Archive Filename: RespawnerMut
Archive Size: 8 KB
Mutator Filename: CTFLaG.u
Mutator Size: 31 KB
Version: beta 2.0

-------------------
MUTATOR INFORMATION
-------------------

Dependecies: None!
Botmatch: Yes
Teamplay: Yes
Single Player: No
Multiplayer: (Not Tested)
New Textures: No
New Sounds: No (but used unused announcements)
New Music: No
New Weapons: No
New Vehicles: No
New UnrealScript: Yes
New UnrealKismet: No
New UnrealCascade: No
New UnrealMatinee: No
Custom Vertex Animated Meshes: No
Custom Static Meshes: No
External DLLs: None

------------
CONSTRUCTION
------------

Build Time: 6 days
Editors Used: Unreal Development Environment, Unreal Frontend, PSPad
Known Issues: Not tested online; Doesn't work with Greed and Betrayal due to Epic's programming

------------
REQUIREMENTS
------------

Unreal Tournament 3 (any version).

------------
INSTALLATION
------------

ZIP:

Unzip RespawnerMut.zip into your Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\ folder (confirm overwriting, it's safe).

In the game, enable the mutator named "Respawner Mutators" in any of the team gametypes.

-----------
DESCRIPTION
-----------

Respawner Mutator is a mutator for UT3 that makes gametypes closer to the story of the UT3 campaign. In UT3 single player it was explained that flags are actually Field Lattice Generators that power enemy respawners. When you capture all FLaGs, respawners should shut down and you should be able to finish off the opposition. But the game by default ends when all flags are captured.
This mutator makes the game last longer than it normally takes to win. After you score enough to win normally, enemy respawners turn off (resulting in an announcement) and all enemies can no longer respawn. Win the game by killing them all.
While in the "elimination round", the team with no respawners still have a chance of winning by continuing to capture enemy flags and turning the enemy respawners off as well.
On non-CTF matches you also need to finish off the opposition after you reach the needed score. In Team Deathmatch it's similar to CTF, you just need to kill every enemy once more, but in Warfare you get an extra "overtime" round in which you need to eliminate all the players before the timer runs out.

-----
NOTES
-----

Not tested online, but might work. When enabled in non-team games, like Deathmatch, the mutator is not active and just does nothing.

--------------
OTHER PROJECTS
--------------

Many more for UT2004 and U2XMP! Check out my website for more info.

-------
TESTERS
-------

Only me yet.

-------
CREDITS
-------

Thanks to CaptainSnarf for poining out that Level was changed to WorldInfo in UE3!
Thanks to Xyx and Angel_Mapper for poining out my bugs and ways to solve them!
Thanks to RoninMastaFX for the template of this ReadMe!
Thanks to Epic Games and their forum for support!

---------
CHANGELOG
---------

+ b1.0 Initial release.
@ b2.0 Renamed the mutator from Capture the FLaG to Respawner Mutator.
+ b2.0 Added support for all team gametypes.
* b2.0 Games can now go into overtime (the respawner of the team that has the least points deactivates).

----------------
CHANGELOG LEGEND
----------------

* Fixed
+ New
- Deleted
! Changed
@ Renamed
# Restored
& Statement

-----------
PERMISSIONS
-----------

YOU MAY use this mutator as a base without my explicit permission.

YOU MAY load this mutator into the UnrealEd without my explicit permission.

YOU MAY NOT put this mutator on a commercial CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/HVD without my explicit permission.

YOU MAY NOT convert this mutator to another game other than Unreal/Unreal Tournament/Gears of War without my explicit permission.

YOU MAY distribute this mutator on FTP/HTTP websites, Bulletin Boards, Magazine Covers, and FIDO without my explicit permission.

YOU MAY take pictures of this mutator and distribute them freely without my explicit permission.

YOU MAY NOT bundle this mutator for your mod without my explicit permission.

YOU MAY NOT convert this mutator for a different mod (eg. Deathmatch to Capture The Flag) without my explicit permission, I'll do that myself!

YOU MAY NOT make a clan version of this mutator without my explicit permission.

YOU MAY NOT exploit this mutator without my explicit permission.

YOU MAY use the mutator for teaching purposes without my explicit permission.

YOU MAY decompile the sources of the mutator without my explicit permission.

YOU MAY place this mutator on CD's/DVD's/Blu-Ray's/HVD's and Floppy Disks without my explicit permission.

---------
COPYRIGHT
---------

Respawner Mutator is Copyright © 2009, 2010 by GreatEmerald.

------------
LEGAL NOTICE
------------

Unreal Tournament 3 © 2007, 2008, 2009 Epic Games, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Unreal Tournament 3, UT3, UnrealEd and the Unreal Tournament 3 logo are registered trademarks of Epic Games, Inc. All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.

Last edited:

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Awesome! This always bothered me in the campaign. As stupid as the concept is on its own, the fact they didn't even follow it through but effectively made it regular CTF despite every claim of ingame characters that it's different is what makes it insultingly dumb. First the game slaps you in the face with it's stupid "CTF is important for the war" crap and just when you got over it and started to wonder if this "new" CTF mode might even be fun after all the game slaps you again when the game ends and turns out to be just regular CTF.
While your mutator doesn't fix the first slap, at least we can now try this new gamemode. Thanks for that!

Is it possible to make the campaign CTF maps work like that as well?

EDIT: Oh, and do you have any plans to port this over to other UTs - particularily UT2004?

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I think campaign is hardcoded, so you can't change anything there... As for ports, I might do it, as all you need to change in the code to make it work on UT2004 is a bunch of WorldInfos to Levels.

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
Awesome! This always bothered me in the campaign. As stupid as the concept is on its own, the fact they didn't even follow it through but effectively made it regular CTF despite every claim of ingame characters that it's different is what makes it insultingly dumb. First the game slaps you in the face with it's stupid "CTF is important for the war" crap and just when you got over it and started to wonder if this "new" CTF mode might even be fun after all the game slaps you again when the game ends and turns out to be just regular CTF.
While your mutator doesn't fix the first slap, at least we can now try this new gamemode. Thanks for that!

Is it possible to make the campaign CTF maps work like that as well?

EDIT: Oh, and do you have any plans to port this over to other UTs - particularily UT2004?
Jeeze, relax. It wasn't an insult, it was just an excuse to have CTF part of the campaign with a weak story link. UT3's campaign was never about the story so much as it was the entertainment, which is the important part (and the well-done part). Also, you can forgive the games ending when the flags are capped since I'm pretty sure if I was on the losing team, I'd bail the hell out of the area once I knew I couldn't magically respawn again. But if you accept the idea of respawning in the first place, your disbelief has been suspended quite enough already.

That said, this mod does sound kinda interesting. It makes me want to try to do a last-man-of-the-team kind of thing where both teams' respawners are off and its just you vs. about 15 or so people.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Talking about that, it gets really interesting if you limit the spawn count. Say, make maximum lives of everyone in the game to like 20, and it will feel like if you had a real weak respawner. And the mutator works good then too, it just changes all enemies' current lives to 1, so you don't respawn if you die too often or if your respawner is drained by capturing flags. Makes it really feel like a realistic war.
Not sure if you can set lives in normal UT3, though, because I use MapMixer (a great mod!) which gives us the option to set a lot of different settings.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
@GreatEmerald: Too bad about the campaign, but it's still a cool mutator. I'd love to give this a spin in UT2004 if you get around to it eventually.

Jeeze, relax.
I'm cool.:) If I sounded harsh, I apologize.
I won't debate this issue here, suffice to say I don't think the characters fighting in UT3 are meant to cower once the fights get serious, whether you or I would do that or not. We aren't genetically enhanced interstellar war veterans with an attitude afterall. Well, I'm only speaking for myself here.:lol:

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
I don't think the characters fighting in UT3 are meant to cower once the fights get serious, whether you or I would do that or not. We aren't genetically enhanced interstellar war veterans with an attitude afterall. Well, I'm only speaking for myself here.:lol:
Remember that Necris Attacks cutscene and the incredibly pathetic "oh no! run away!" behavior all the Ronin soldiers exhibited? :p (That was such a hilarious cutscene)

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Beta 2.0 of the mutator has been released! Here are the updates:

@ b2.0 Renamed the mutator from Capture the FLaG to Respawner Mutator.
+ b2.0 Added support for all team gametypes.
* b2.0 Games can now go into overtime (the respawner of the team that has the least points deactivates).

A note about this mutator in Warfare - although I didn't intend it to, but my code works in a very interesting fashion in Warfare. After you win, you get an extra round where your objective is to kill all your enemies before your own core is destroyed. The round goes into overtime as soon as anyone is killed, so it becomes a race against time! This gives the losing team an opportunity to win, if they can hold for the duration of overtime and at the same time not have their own core destroyed first. After one of the teams win, their core is shown.

Also, it doesn't work with Greed, because Greed is poorly coded - it breaks all mod support.

New download links are on the first post (my website link hasn't changed, too).