Allright, Hellscrag.... now I'm curious as heck...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf Blackstar

That other Wing Commander guy
Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
I was perusing the thread entitled "How do you want Unreal 2 to be?" and came across a post where you were talking abou Return to NaPali. You said:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>the planet is not called NaPali..(ask me and I'll explain)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I just played a little of the original Unreal(my favorite map is Bluff Eversmoking) and now I'm curious as hell. Why is the planet not called NaPali? What is NaPali? What is the name of the planet?

Just looking for some answers, seeing as I was planning on forming a new Unreal/UT clan called "The Mercenaries of NaPali."

------------------
-Wolf Blackstar

"A chainsaw! find some meat!"

Clock

Nov 12, 1999
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Visit site
I'll let Hellscrag answer your question, but I'll throw in my agreement that Bluff Eversmoking was a great level.

Did you get the secret kill/reward for that map? It has to do with the guy on the cross.

bullet2.gif

Clock
Unreal, Heretic II, Hexen II

Black Lite Blue

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
Heh that was just me being pedantic! Na Pali has become the accepted name it seems.

The planet goes unnamed. Na Pali is the name of the floating rock in the sky that spans three maps; skycaves.unr, skytown.unr and skybase.unr. These levels are called "Gateway to Na Pali", "Na Pali Haven" and "Outpost 3J".

Given that in Gateway to Na Pali you have risen from the top of the Sunspire on the surface up in that SkyElevator thing and entered the caves through a hole in the bottom of the rock, the fact that the level when you arrive is called "Gateway to Na Pali" suggests that it is in fact that rock and not the planet that's called Na Pali.

I dunno, it's hardly a big issue and Na Pali has become the accepted name. Btw, Bluff Eversmoking is one of my favourites too /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

Hellscrag, Unreal single player nut :) , a.k.a. [SkW]Deathwish in DM.
Email me hellscrag@lineone.net
Check my website http://surf.to/scragsite for Unreal Walkthroughs and other cool stuff.

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
Btw Wolf, that's a kool name, keep it, factually right or not /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Clock: I've seen that secret... useful Super Health Pack.

Just yesterday discovered a new secret in MotherShip Lab with a Super Health Pack and a Shield Belt. Evil positioning that. One false step or hang around too long and you're mincemeat /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

Check my website http://surf.to/scragsite for Unreal Walkthroughs and other cool stuff.

Wolf Blackstar

Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
Yeah, you're right about that Gateway to NaPali thing. I gotta go play that series of levels again. Skytown is another favorite of mine, I'm hoping for a deathmatch level based on it.

Btw, I do remember the secret with the super health pack, but I just played Bluff last night and found a secret that I had never seen before, the one with the ghost Nali in the graveyard and the secret crypts- weapons, ammo, and an Invisibility powerup.

bullet2.gif

-Wolf Blackstar

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
Clock: All you need to know is at http://website.lineone.net/~s2swalks/u1-32.htm - it's in there somewhere under an "Extra". I would try to tell you now but it's kinda complex!

Wolf: Yeah, SkyTown is a great map, one of my favourites too. Along with Bluff, Chizra and The Sunspire. Hey, they're all great maps, but those are some of the best /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif . I dunno about playing just the Sky maps again, I think playing the whole game repeatedly is more appropriate /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif . Have you completed it on Unreal skill without saving except at the start of the map yet?

bullet2.gif

Wolf Blackstar

Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
I've beaten the game on Unreal, but about that savegame thing.... you really are the single-player "nut" I guess, I always save after critical mission chokepoints. If you've done all the maps the way you described, I salute you. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

I really am looking forward to an Unreal sequel. One of the things that really kept me playing on into the night on single-player was reading all the translator logs. They added a level of depth to the game. Before, Quake2 had the little field computer, but its impersonal mission-related only info couldn't hold a candle to Unreal's translator logs. In Bluff Eversmoking, I kept playing, driven on by the story of the captured woman who was helped to escape by the Nali, only to find her dead, like evryone else. I hope that in the sequel, you will be able to find survivors, and interact with them, even if it was only Half-Life style.

Well that's my $1.09.

bullet2.gif

-Wolf Blackstar

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
Yeah the translator thingies were kool.
If you like Unreal SP then I would recommend the mission pack Return to Na Pali - it continues the storyline and shows how you get out of the situation at the end of the original Unreal storyline... I think Unreal 2's gonna follow on from Return to Na Pali given that it's being developed by the same people. Unfortnuately though Na Pali doesn't have as much of the translator stuff /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

bullet2.gif

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
It will be interesting to see what they do with U2. With the popularity of UT and Q3A, I wonder how tempted they'll be to follow up with another multiplayer focused game. I'd sure love to see some co-op single player or new gamestyles that follow the Unreal storyline. .....or will it be purely singleplayer??

bullet2.gif

Yes, I know I'm full of $I-IiT - but I'm inhuman dammit!

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
No, it's not going to be multiplayer focused. Legend Entertainment (they'e been contracted out by Epic - I think Cliff B. is going to be involved too) are creating a single player game that follows on from the storyline of Return to Na Pali.

There will certainly be deathmatch. I don't know about Coop, I don't think there was proper support in Return to Na Pali (which they developed too).

bullet2.gif

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Yeah, I really enjoyed RTNP. It didn't get great reviews but I enjoyed the maps and the new weapons. The only thing that makes me nervous about it involve 3 things I didn't like in RTNP:

1) Marines never showed up again.
2) Rehashed maps from Epic's Recycle Bin
3) Messed up current versions of Unreal 225(?)

bullet2.gif

Yes, I know I'm full of $I-IiT - but I'm inhuman dammit!

Clock

Nov 12, 1999
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Visit site
Hellscrag: I finally went through the Mothership Lab in search of that secret you mentioned a few posts back. I actually found that the first time playing Unreal! But I kept dying so I left it alone. Didn't realize there was an escape from the ledge, though there HAD to be one, if you think about it. Anyway, I didn't bother with it on subsequent run-throughs, and had forgotten about it until you brought it up.

Just yesterday I found a secret in Return To Na Pali (Nathiel Village Pt2)which I had missed before. Its that cave entrence you have to jump to from one of the roofs. Dohhh

bullet2.gif

Clock
Black Lite Blue

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
Got that one Clock /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif (thanks to http://www.planetunreal.com/vortex ) heh.

Yeah it was odd that the Marines in RTNP never showed again, esp. when the narration said that you would (instead you get a bunch of Krall and a Warlord. Doh).

The recycled maps were ok but not as good as the rest. Foundry Tarydium Plant has grown on me since I first played it.

bullet2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.