GeForce2 freezes games. HELP?!?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Outsider

Dec 27, 1999
Finland
I got a Guillemot Hercules GeForce2 GTS Pro yesterday and Quake 3 Arena works well. Crashed a couple of times, but thats rare.

But Unreal Tournament freezes in about 30 seconds after starting the game and Need for Speed 5 Porche Challenge does the same thing.

That happens in UT when starting with Direct3D.
With OpenGL the game doesn't even start.
It gives some error message and crashes.

I've tried the drivers which come with the card and with the Detonator3 drivers. The same thing with both.

I'm using Windows 98.
The games didn't crash with my old Voodoo2.

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP WITH THIS ?!?

Claude_Ballz

Ballz-Like
Jan 17, 2000
Visit site
I've got the same thing Outsider. I just upgraded from a Voodoo3 3000 to a Winfast 32Mb GeForce 2 GTS. I tried running in Open GL, but it wouldn't go full-screen, so I switched to D3D, and it ran great - one time. Now, every time I try to start UT, I get an error message about being low on memory. I'm running a PIII 800 w/ 256Mb PC133 RAM, so I wouldn't think that would be the prob. I have read about UT not liking D3D w/o some tweaking, but I don't know exactly what to do. I haven't tried using a different driver yet. Can you use the Detonator drivers regardless of the type of card you have?
I'm echoing Outsider .... Somebody Please Help!!!

Claude_Ballz

Ballz-Like
Jan 17, 2000
Visit site
One Question though .... Will the Detonator drivers remove the Winfast utilities? They have a neat little overclocking utility that seems like it would be easy for an inexperienced overclocker (ie. : me) to learn.

zaqwer

Experienced
May 12, 2000
Swe
Visit site
detonator with overclocking ability

To get the overclocking-ability with det.drivers do the following:
1:create a new textfile
2:put this in it:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIACorporation\Global\NVTweak]
"CoolBits"=dword:00000003

3:name your file coolbits.reg
4:doubleclick the file and a window will popup asking if u want to add blablabla--- answer yes.
Now u can o/c the card ! :)
But be careful with the o/c business as it can damage blablabla