A Game of Thrones

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
The vulgarity and filth is the very core of some of these characters, who then make up the essence of the story.

For example, King Robers was a whoring, filth talking, drunken warrior before he usurped the throne and became king. He didn't win his crown by being "king-ly" and winning the hearts of the people. Be won it be a badass. Just because he put a crown on his head didn't mean he suddenly becomes stately and proper. If fact, those around him find him revolting. Even his life long friend has grown tired of it.
This is part of what leads to his demise.

So, either the language has to stay, or one of two things has to happen:

1) He doesn't use the profanity and such, which changes his character and changes his part of the story.

2) The writers invent new words for all the vulgar words, and viewers have one more thing they have to figure out in an already complex story.

To establish the type of person King Robert is and how that personality effects the story, you need to show him for what he really is.

Notice that Ned doesn't talk like that. The reason being is that his character is different. If the writers were just using the language gratuitously, then all the Starks would be using vulgar language.

It is essential to show Robert as a repulsive personality. It is a core component to the storyline. Doing that while cutting out the language would be difficult. The words he uses are repulsive. Using words that weren't repulsive, wouldn't have the same impact.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
#2 isn't that bad, really (at least, not in film). Firefly handled it pretty well. It didn't make Jane seem any less vulgar.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Episode 5 was great, much better than episode 4 I'd say. I am really really enjoying this show so far.

The sex scenes were hillarious. I was watching with two friends, and one of them particularly didn't enjoy the gay segment :p

The breast feeding scene was crazy. These child actors are absolutely amazing, like, out of this world.

I'm starting to like the spider a little more, although it's hard to figure out where his allegiance lies.

I'm a little sad we didn't see anything from the Targaryens, although I suppose it wasn't really necessary.

Also, funny little detail. They added a new part to the intro, showing one of the new places they visit (Catelyn's sister).

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
It is essential to show Robert as a repulsive personality. It is a core component to the storyline. Doing that while cutting out the language would be difficult. The words he uses are repulsive. Using words that weren't repulsive, wouldn't have the same impact.
fair enough.
it was only a minor annoyance to begin with. I was just wondering if that's how dialogue in the books were actually written.

if such behavior is integral to the characterization of the King (or any other player, for that matter) then I'm fine with it.
the show is getting progressively better with each episode.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Apparently all the intros are tailored to the episode. The first episode showed Pentos, but the next one showed the plains or whatever.

Episode 6 is going to have a lot of Targaryen fun.

So looking forward to how this Game will end.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
About Episode 9:

I can't believe they killed off Ned Stark. I did NOT see that coming at all. Really messed up, he was easily my favorite character and Robert was up there too. Really pissed that my favorite characters keep dying, someone please tell me things get better. :(

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
OK OK OK?

EVERYONE DIVES BUT ITS OKAY THEY GO TO HEAVEN AND DANCE IN STRAWBERRY LOLLIPOP FIELDS BUT THEN A DRAGON EATS THEM ALL OKAY.

George R.R. Martin has no reservations in killing favorite characters. New characters spring up at least? I'd recommend watching next Sunday's episode though, shit will get real.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
The finale will be two hours right? I'm so pumped for this.

Episode 9 was great, a bit of action, but mostly a ton of build up. I can't wait :(

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Got to the end of episode 2, maybe half way through the third and gave up myself.

I found the midless and arbitrary parade of topless women and sex scenes just a little too patronising.

I really does seem like people misintepret "gritty realism" as "titty realism".

"Fuckity, cunty, bollocks guv'nor, lets fuck some whores eh?" *Cut to the third whore house scene of the episode*

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
EVERYONE DIVES BUT ITS OKAY THEY GO TO HEAVEN AND DANCE IN STRAWBERRY LOLLIPOP FIELDS BUT THEN A DRAGON EATS THEM ALL OKAY.

George R.R. Martin has no reservations in killing favorite characters. New characters spring up at least? I'd recommend watching next Sunday's episode though, shit will get real.

BUT ITS SEAN BEAN MAN! SEAN BEAN!!!!!!!!!!! FUUUUUUUCKK!!!!!

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
once again I just love the fact that no one is safe. the idea that virtually every character is vulnerable is awesome. given that 99% of fiction stories are still entirely predictable (based on who the "main" characters are), this is very refreshing; a brave and exciting concept.

and so once again I'm just glad that I never read the books.
this really keeps me on the edge of my seat in a way that no other TV show has in a long time.

how many seasons do you guys think they can go with this?
how many books are there and what have they covered in the first season? does season 1 = book 1 or something?

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
how many seasons do you guys think they can go with this?
how many books are there and what have they covered in the first season? does season 1 = book 1 or something?

Yeah, the first season was the first book, and it followed it very faithfully. The series of books is planned at 7, and so far only 4 have been published (with the fifth coming next month).
And this is one of the things that's bothering me. Sure, the series is excellent, but the space between the publishing of book 3 (2000), book 4 (2005) and book 5 (2011), means that it's probably going to take another 10 years for the remaining 2 books to come out...so it seems unlikely that the TV series will be able to follow the books to the end. That's also assuming that the author doesn't decide to extend it by another book as well - it was originally supposed to be a trilogy, and it just kept growing. For example, book 4 (A Feast for Crows) and book 5 (A Dance With Dragons) were supposed to be one book, but Martin had so much material that he broke it into two books, one dealing with one set of characters, the other with another set, and both books around 1000 pages long!!

So I'm not getting my hopes up for the TV series to have a conclusion.

As for the killing off of characters, it's just a much more interesting and intelligent narrative that's much closer to real life and a series like Rome. The characters that we started the whole series with aren't necessarily the ones who will be the focus by the end of the whole thing, minor characters become more important, new characters emerge, and existing ones go through changes. The book uses multiple characters to show their point of view, and Ned Stark is merely one of these that the TV producers used to anchor season one around. His children are obviously more relevant throughout the arc of the various books (and I don't believe there are any spoilers in saying that).

Also, it's notable that George R. R. Martin himself scripted episode 8, which was one of the best, tightest episodes so far. He's also said he's writing episode 9 of season 2.

Also, would anyone who's read the books care to speculate that

Jon is actually not Ned's bastard at all, but in fact the child of his sister Lyanna and Rhaegar Targaryon, making him the rightful heir to the throne.

Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
About Episode 9:

I can't believe they killed off Ned Stark. I did NOT see that coming at all. Really messed up, he was easily my favorite character and Robert was up there too. Really pissed that my favorite characters keep dying, someone please tell me things get better. :(

The events of episode 9 were just the catalyst to get everything else in motion. Yes, it gets much better. The second book is by far the best in the series so far, so I'm expecting season 2 to be much better than season 1.

Actually, I had the exact same reaction while reading the books that many have had to episode 9. I literally threw the book across the room, and didn't read any more for days. I have to tell you, I'm very glad I picked it back up.

And even though I knew what was going to happen, it was still tough to watch. Very well done.

shadow_dragon said:
Got to the end of episode 2, maybe half way through the third and gave up myself.

You are doing yourself a great disservice.

Finally, if you haven't seen it, the best review of Episode 9 :D ...

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owf6D2vfZqM[/M]

Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Yeah, the first season was the first book, and it followed it very faithfully. The series of books is planned at 7, and so far only 4 have been published (with the fifth coming next month).
And this is one of the things that's bothering me. Sure, the series is excellent, but the space between the publishing of book 3 (2000), book 4 (2005) and book 5 (2011), means that it's probably going to take another 10 years for the remaining 2 books to come out...so it seems unlikely that the TV series will be able to follow the books to the end. That's also assuming that the author doesn't decide to extend it by another book as well - it was originally supposed to be a trilogy, and it just kept growing. For example, book 4 (A Feast for Crows) and book 5 (A Dance With Dragons) were supposed to be one book, but Martin had so much material that he broke it into two books, one dealing with one set of characters, the other with another set, and both books around 1000 pages long!!

Since both books 4 and 5 are so long, it has already been suggested by the producers that each of those consist of 2 seasons. If that's the case, there's already 7 seasons worth of material in the books already published.

Also, Martin discussed the long time before the release of book 5, something about a "knot" in the storyline that he could not resolve. I guess he unknowingly painted himself in a corner with something from the previous books, and it took a long time to figure out how to make it work. He's sworn that books 6 and 7 won't take that long. We'll see.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland

I found the midless and arbitrary parade of topless women and sex scenes just a little too patronising.

I really does seem like people misintepret "gritty realism" as "titty realism".

"****ity, cunty, bollocks guv'nor, lets **** some whores eh?" *Cut to the third whore house scene of the episode*

They aren't really mindless. All the scenes in this show are there for a reason.