UnrealScript: Beginner's Guide - Pre-Order

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Anyone who's been around the UnrealEd scene for the past few years most likely knows the name Rachel 'Angel Mapper' Cordone, or might possibly have been the recipient of some assistance from one her many tutorials. She's been working for the past few months on a new book called Unreal Development Kit Game Programming with UnrealScript: Beginner's Guide and it's now available for pre-order. Here's a bit about the book in Rachel's own words:

The book is written for anyone who is new to UnrealScript, whether you're just getting into programming or you're moving to UnrealScript from another language. Instead of dry text, you'll build a working game that's added to with each chapter while building on your knowledge of the language.

If you've read my UT2004 tutorials you know you'll be getting your money's worth out of this book. As a self-taught programmer I've tried to write the book I would have wanted when I started using UnrealScript.

Head over to the website to pre-order your copy, it will be released in a few months!

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
congrats A_M ! just one question : if I'm comfortable with java (already did a "game" and an android app), is this book aimed for me ?

I'd love to get into UDK and support you. :D

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Support her anyway, she's done incredible work for people for years. Anyone that bothers to take the time to document UScript just flat deserves the support of the devs here.

I wore out my copy of Mastering Unreal and it was more a modelling than scripting book. I'm looking forward to this one in a big way because her work is top notch.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Cool, I'll pass the info along to all my classmates who are in the game programing degree program.

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
Im deeply grateful for her efforts to write this book even more I know that she was a 'prime mover' for the whole scene and a pioneer in using UnrealScript in many fancy cases. Im very sure this book will be worth the money.

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
congrats A_M ! just one question : if I'm comfortable with java (already did a "game" and an android app), is this book aimed for me ?

I'd love to get into UDK and support you. :D
Some of it will be stuff you already know like using variables and functions, but the book will get you familiar with the class tree and how classes like the GameInfo, Controller and Pawn interact with each other. The chapters on custom Kismet and dealing with replication will be very useful too. :)

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
I'm really excited to get this.
why does it have to be released in december 2011 ? :(
I'll probably forget about this by the time it gets released.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
Some of it will be stuff you already know like using variables and functions, but the book will get you familiar with the class tree and how classes like the GameInfo, Controller and Pawn interact with each other. The chapters on custom Kismet and dealing with replication will be very useful too. :)

I hope delivery to Germany won't be an issue. :)

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
Thanks everyone! I hope the book helps you, I tried to keep it basic but not TOO basic.
I hope delivery to Germany won't be an issue. :)
Shouldn't be! The company is in the UK.
I'm really excited to get this.
why does it have to be released in december 2011 ? :(
I'll probably forget about this by the time it gets released.
I'll make sure to send more announcements when the book is released. :)