Cogent Network Downtime

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
As reported here, the entire Cogent Network (of which BeyondUnreal is part) was down today from 10:30 AM EST for just under five hours, meaning BeyondUnreal mail, hosted sites and forums were unavailable during that period. This downtime was due to fiber cuts in New Orleans and Washington DC.

Presently the problem seems to be corrected, and network availability is back to normal.

Retodon8

Sheep happens!
Jan 21, 2004
Netherlands
retodon8.net
Nukeelar wor?

Bot_40 said:
So much for the network that is supposed to be able to withstand a nuclear war :p

It did... well, no nuclear war, so rather it would have.
Only the Cogent Network was unreachable, at least I personally didn't notice any other effects, and relatively speaking that is just a tiny piece of the internet.
Of course due to interconnected networks which should result in redundancy, websites and the like, including the BeyondUnreal site, are still supposed to be available after 1 lone cable gets cut... and that didn't happen.
Then again maybe it would've been if someone had changed some settings to reroute the traffic, but I'm glad they chose to fix the actual problem instead.
I'm also glad about there not being a nuclear war. :)

U

Unregistered

A wise sys admin carries a short cut of fiber optic cable on his person. Should he ever become lost, he can bury the cable under a small bit of ground. In about ten minutes, he can then ask the backhoe operator how to get back to civilization.

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
Retodon8 said:
Of course due to interconnected networks which should result in redundancy, websites and the like, including the BeyondUnreal site, are still supposed to be available after 1 lone cable gets cut... and that didn't happen.
If I read the article correctly, there were two cuts: one in New Orleans and DC.

:c